Transponders

B

billyburger

Hi again

can someone explain to me what the 'default transponder' is all about? How do you decide which is the default transponder for your location? There seems to be dozens of transponders out there - do you need to change the setting in the digibox each time you want to get programs from each one?

Sorry if this question is a bit dumb but I am totally new to satellite and just can't get my head round some of it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The default transponder is the one that normally comes preset with the Digibox, it carries EPG information and is the one used for software downloads, it is 11.778 V on Astra 2A North Beam. Some people that are too far south for good reception of that transponder set another which has a more Southerly footprint, can't remember which it is, though I'm sure that someone will enlighten me. :)

B

billyburger

Thanks Rolf

Yes my digibox annoyingly resets itself to 11.788 every time I power it down.

When I installed my dish and aligned it, I didn't know about transponders, I expected it to work as it had in England. After many frustrating hours I decided that perhaps I didn't have enough knowledge to align it myself and sought the (expensive) services of a Spanish satellite engineer. He checked my dish with what looked like an oscilloscope and pronounced that the alignment was perfect. He went downstairs, changed the default transponder to 11.719 and hey presto up came some channels. As I stated earlier, I cannot get channel 4 in any sort of watchable form and was wondering whether trying a different transponder may help. Any thoughts?

cheers

Bill

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Default transponder will make little difference to the reception of other channels Bill, only a bigger and better dish will accomplish that.

B

billyburger

Again many thanks Rolf. Your help is much appreciated. I need to get my head round all this before we move to Spain in August or my life will be hell with a wife, three teenagers and no telly!!

Regards

Bill