Triax dish scales and clamp. 5W found but not tracking...

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kaon KSC 570H PVR, Triax TD88 REX Single 0.3db LNB, SM3D12 DiseqC Motor, Digifusion FVRT100 Freeview Dual PVR, Cambridge Audio DVD57, Sony STR-DB930, Mirage AVS-500/ FRX-S8, Toshiba 36ZP18P.
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Can someone please explain the scales on my Triax TD88? I never received any assembly or setup instructions in the flatpack (or I threw them away with the packaging?:-doh! .

There are different scales on each side of the dish, my declination according to the details that came with my motor should be 28 but how does this traslate to the scales on the back of the dish?

Also just in case I got it wrong can someone please confirm which way up the dish clamp goes? I currently have it with the notch on the left, looking from behind the dish. This means the widest part is at the top.....

Sorry to ask such stupid questions . Normally I only read instructions in an emergency. But this is an emergency and I dont have any.

Thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From memory, the elevation bracket can go either way, it depends on your lattitude as to which way up you use it. Not sure about the declination angle, I would have thought that it would be lower than that in Scotland, as your elevation at the zenith should be not more than 27/28 degrees.

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kaon KSC 570H PVR, Triax TD88 REX Single 0.3db LNB, SM3D12 DiseqC Motor, Digifusion FVRT100 Freeview Dual PVR, Cambridge Audio DVD57, Sony STR-DB930, Mirage AVS-500/ FRX-S8, Toshiba 36ZP18P.
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Thx Rolf, wasn't sure if the way up of the elevation bracket was important? I thought it may make a difference when I started moving around.

I have a 75% signal on 5w and can pick up most of the channels but when I track I get nothing on the other sats. Should I try adjusting up and down and keep trying, or is there a more scientific way about this? I have made sure my pole is 100% vertical.

I have read lots of other threads on what to do if you can only pick up some of the other satellites but not when you cannot get any.

My Digipro sat meter is not proving much help and I found 5W using the receiver as I appear to be getting strong signals which are nothing?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Al Pal

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well 5W must be close to your Due South, so it must be that either your motor elevation setting is incorrect, or your dish is not mounted straight on the motor armature.

PS. the transponder lists on some receivers are very old or just plain wrong, always worth checking that your default transponder is a good working one.

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Anyone else have a SM3D12?

Did the settings out the manual get you close?

I have an angle finder. Is it possible for me to check the true angle of the disk and if so where should I measure it?

Al Pal.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Classi and Rolf,

Thanks for all your help. Finally got it tracking correctly last night although I have a few dead spots due to a few tree's.
Just ordered a 1.5m longer pole which should clear me on the missing satellites.
All I now need to do is work out the best way of receiveing some of the Romanian Channels that are not FTA but I will post the request in another forum.

Thanks again.

Al Pal.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Antena 3 Bucharest is FTA on 10 e if not in your blind spot.

L.

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Thanks Lancelot I will check when I get home.

I am just about to post a question on help getting Max TV if you have any ideas?

Al Pal