Triple Dragon Query

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Hi Llew, all very interesting. I wish that you were based in East Hampshire then perhaps I could ask you to show me how to set up my TD to receive extra channels. I have owned the TD for several months now but can still only access FTA channels. I have installed the latest official image and the Beerman image but when I try (in the menu) to download addons I get the message ' An error has occurred while trying to start the plugin.'
Have you any clue as to the reason for this?
Canine.
This post has been overtaken by events and can now be considered closed.
Canine

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi canine, :-Welcome1 to the forum.

Is this happening with all of the plugins? From Menu, I go to BMtoy, select mgcamd with new CS. This clears T*S, Multi etc. Not hooked up to Hispasat for Cabo, Mediapark etc. on the TD at the mo, should be OK though.

Have you also tried the Turkey/Holland image? If so, did you have problems with that?

As a matter of interest, is your TD connected to the internet (router or PC)?

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Hi Llew. Apologies for not responding sooner - a long time since I studied this board. An update. I now have the Beerman image and can access T*S channels, but not multi. My present problem is that I've lost my connection between computer and TD. It is via a router and I'm trying to connect wirelessly as my wired connection failed after installing Beerman. The adapter I'm using at the TD end is a Linksys Wireless - B Game Adapter. It is connected to the TD by an RJ145 ethernet cable. I can 'ping' the TD but the TDC v1.2 constantly shows a red line leading to the TD. Any clues please?
Canine.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Hi there. So Your PC finds the router, but not the TD. Check your addresses in the TD's Network interfaces.
I use Static (not DHCP), IP Address = TD Address
Netmask and Gateway = 255,255,255,0
DNS = 194,74,65,68 but I don't think this is absolutely necessary, depends on what you have been assigned by your server (router address to the outside world).

These addresses work whether I use wireless or fixed.

Don't forget to correctly assign your LIP and RIP in the bootloader, particularly that the RIP tallies with your PC address.

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Hello again Llew. Thanks for quick response. I've just checked the bootloader settings and the correct LIP and RIP's are entered. I've also looked at the network settings in the screen display. It is set for 'static'. The IP of the TD is shown as the IP Address. The netmask and DNS are set to the figures that you mentioned but the Gateway address is set as the Router's IP. As an experiment I have just changed the Gateway Address to match that of the netmask but it has made no difference. The TDC still shows the red line leading to the TD. I have also re-checked the settings of the Game Adapter and they do show the IP of the TD. Looks like I might need to buy a wireless adapter that is known to support the TD. I assume that there is at least one!
Canine.
Just looked at the network settings and found that the Gateway IP was as originally set, Changed it again to match the netmask and realised that I have to OK the change twice for it to take effect. Still no change to the TDC however. Blast!!!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Are you still using the Beerman image, and if so (some while since I had that one on the TD), are the passwords root and dragon?

I assume you are using 'Direct Crossover' in TD1.2. (router is transparent).

I take it you have 'This computer' and 'Triple Dragon' addresses are correct in their respective fields there.

Don't know your Lynksis game adapter. Is it just a Wi-Fi plugin to your TD?

What was the problem with your fixed connection?

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Hello. Another day! Yes, still using Beerman image. I think that the passwords are root and dragon. I was using connection type 'router' in the TDC as the connection is via a router. Have tried changing it to the direct crossover but still a red line to the TD. Both IP addresses are shown correctly. The Linksys unit connects via an ethernet cable to the TD. It is designed to enable gamers to access the internet from their gaming machines. A techie friend checked the direct cable using his laptop at the TD end and told me that the cable was faulty. The plug ends are OK and I couldn't see any breaks in the wiring.
Incidently, I visited the network settings again and found that the Gateway address has reverted to its original setting (same IP as router) so TD won't accept the change.
If I disconnect the TD from its present position and reconnect it close to the computer I could see if the TDC then shows the required green line. If it does I would be able to upgrade software from my PC even though, at the time, there will be no satellite link. What do you think?
Just occurred to me that as the TD has its own wi-fi adapter perhaps I don't need an external one.
Canine.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You have to use a crossover Ethernet cable if you are connecting direct to your PC. Otherwise use straight patch cables with a router in between.

Yes, you don't need the satellite cable connected to do any upgrades from your PC.

As you have already installed a working image on your TD, you obviously had it correctly wired up at some stage - were you using a different app., e.g. Triple Tool or an earlier TDCC?

Not aware of any Wi-Fi adapter in the TD.

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Hi again Llew.
My mind must have wandered when I said that the TD had its own wi-fi built in. Shows you how confused I'm getting (or is it senility setting in?).
In view of my connection problems I have decided to go for the Dragon Tail option. Just trying to decide which adapter to get to go with it.
Canine:):)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'd certainly stick with getting your PC - TD connection sorted out before that.
Haven't tried with a USB Wi-Fi adapter, handy I suppose if your TD is remote from your PC.
Check the guide in this section for a DIY USB add-on.

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
A further update. I have purchased and connected a Dragon Tail. Today I have taken delivery of a D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter. That is one of the wireless adapters said to be supported by the TD (according to info on the official site). I have installed the drivers on my computer and connected up the adapter. When trying to alter the TD configuration to WLAN USB in the netwok interface I am told to reconnect the adapter to update the configuration. I have tried that several times but my Triple Dragon Control still shows the red line leading to the TD and the network interface on the TV screen reverts to the former (ethernet connection) node, The instructions with the D-Link assume that it will be connected to a laptop or other computer for configuration purposes.
Maybe someday I'll get my computer and TD to talk to one another!
canine..

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A common theme here seems to be the connection between your PC - router.
At the risk of stating the obvious, are you certain your LAN cable to your PC is a crossover? (you stated earlier that you had a problem with this cable).

Are you able to place your TD next to your PC and router to check the connection with TDCC?

Llew

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Thanks for the rapid response. The cable between the router and the PC is OK as the router is a combined ADSL and wireless type. No problem with internet connection and the TD Control shows a green line between the PC and the router. I can as a last resort locate the TD close to the PC but because of the hastle I am hoping for an easier solution.
canine.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I thought maybe having a temporary fixed connection close to your PC might help to sort out your problem, unless you can telnet your box from where it is, then you could CD /var/etc/network/interfaces, and check whether you have eth1 enabled.

With a cabled LAN it would be easy to ftp to /var/etc/network/interfaces and check that way.

Could try DCHP in the OSD Network Interface and see what you get using either of the above.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A similar problem with configuring a WLAN connection elicited this response from Micha (TD S/W developer) on the Curious Contraptions site -

"Wireless is not handled by the if-up/down scripts and the interfaces-config-file. In the current software, is a bug, which does not allow you to enter static adresses, but just try this: Go into the menu and set wireless to disabled. Save this settings and reboot your box. Now go to the wireless-Setup again, but from "disabled" press the left cursor button to jump directly to the static configuration without going over the DHCP-configuration screen. The DHCP-screen will disable the fileds for the adresses, but by default, the inputfileds are enabled.

DHCP is working here without a problem. Maybe you did not configure your DHCP-Server correctly (MAC-Address filter, which does not know the MAC-Address of your USB-WLAN-Adapter).

And again: After plugin the stick to the box, the stick is setup with a delay of 15 seconds, because the stick need time for a radio-scan before it can accept the WLAN-configuration.

Another note: At this time the software only supports 64 bit WEP-Encryption. So if your WLAN is encrypted with 128 bit WEP, WPA or any other Encryption system, you will have no success to connect. Aditionally, the authentification type is "Open System". No support for
TKIP or any other encrypted authentification stuff."

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Update. I've now hard wired my PC/TD connection and the TDC shows that this is successful. All I have to do now is learn how to use the various tools so that I can update keys as well as images.
Canine.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK canine, best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Llew