Triplex outlet quality

cpetzny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
North London
Hi,

I've been getting to grips with my multiroom distribution and I'm a little worried that the triplex wall outlets I was thinking of using may not be appropriate. I was thinking of using something like this: _http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=523&catid=1&subcat=11

My assumption is that a multiswitch like this _http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=570&catid=1&subcat=11 will take the terrestrial aerial and quattro LNB satellite feeds and combine them down a single cable for each room. At the end of each single cable the triplex wall plate then filters out the relevant frequencies for each of its three sockets (SAT, FM/DAB and DTT).

People on other forums have said that the signal quality will suffer significantly and that they do not recommend the use of triplex outlets. So, does anyone know what the implications on quality are when using the triplex plates? Should I be putting in separate distribution systems for SAT and DTT/FM/DAB? Has anyone else used the same combination of multiswitch and triplex plates?

My primary aim is to get good Freeview and SAT performance with minimum cabling.

Thanks,
Chris

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't listen to them, it's purist guff. There will always be a loss through any outlet in a cabled system, as there is through a cable run, but mostly in signal strength, not quality, unless of course it is a badly made outlet or poor quality cable.

I install systems in blocks of apartments and use multiswitches and good quality triplexed outlets without problems. You may introduce a little noise into the sat signal if you are forced to use an IF amplifier prior to the multiswitch, but even then it shouldn't be unacceptable.

cpetzny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
North London
Excellent, thank you. That will make life a lot easier, though I will still run two cables into some rooms to allow me to use dual tuner SAT PVRs.

Thanks again for the help,
Chris

cpetzny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
North London
Actually, more questions...

1. Screw on or crimp on F-connectors, which one is recommended?
2. Will this cable be up to the job: _http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331796&ts=29413&id=45894?
3. Does anyone have any recommendations where to buy all the kit, i.e. dish, LNB, multiswitch, wall plates, etc.?

Thanks,
Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Crimp connectors are generally better, providing you use the good quality ones and use the proper crimp tool.

That cable is OK, I prefer WF100 which is in my opinion better made, but the performance is similar.

Have a look at our supporting advertisers for kit, click on the banner in my signature.

PS. have disabled the links, as only non-profit making information sites, manufacturers and our supporting advertisers can have live links.

cpetzny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
North London
rolfw said:
Crimp connectors are generally better, providing you use the good quality ones and use the proper crimp tool.

That cable is OK, I prefer WF100 which is in my opinion better made, but the performance is similar.

Have a look at our supporting advertisers for kit, click on the banner in my signature.

PS. have disabled the links, as only non-profit making information sites, manufacturers and our supporting advertisers can have live links.

Ok, cool, how do I tell the good quality ones from the bad ones :) ?

Sorry about the link, didn't realise, different forums = different rules. Note to self: read rules before posting :)

Cheers,
Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You could always consider Snap-n-seal connectors. you can get good deals for 50 + a compression tool on ebay.

Otherwise, if you are going for crimp connectors, get MIL quality, not budget.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've been wondering about triplexers.

In the UK Band III is used for DAB radio but in France it's still used for TV. Does this mean that there are different triplexers so that Band III goes out of the radio outlet in the UK and out of the TV outlet in France?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I don't know what they do for the French market Paul, do they still transmit channels in that band, thought they were all in the UHF band 21 - 69 now.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Canal + still transmits on Channel 5. Don't know how long for though.

I think Band III is still used in Spain as well isn't it?