Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Hi all! I've managed to assign the correct LNB number so I can pick up both sats. However, I wondered if someone could tell me the strongest signal to tune to. Ideally I'd like to be able to get perfect reception on Sky News Astra and the biggest possible number of Hotbird channels.

Any adivice would be greatly appreciated.

J

Jeff_19341

I use 11018H, 27500 on 13*east and 10833H, 22000 on 19*east. Both received here at 86strength and 90+quality readings on my Technomate 5000DA useing 0.3dB lnb and 1m dish. In actual fact the same readings that I get on $*y.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
I'm in Cardiff. I've got an 80cm dish though. Always thought I could get better. Does the fact that my dish is at ground level make any difference?

J

Jeff_19341

No! As long as you have a clear view to the satellites.
I have noticed that $*y dishes round here that are at ground level are used by cats as pi***ng posts:-doh! .

J

Jeff_19341

Same readings on $*y news on 11596V, 22000 on 19*east, 341 fta channels of which 291 are digital, and 484 fta channels of which 462 are digital. Those are what I receive but have not carried out a re-scan for quite some time. Channels come and go frequently.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks for your advice. I'll try out those two frequencies you recommended. I suppose it just comes down to the good old fine adjustment. That can be very frustrating! I did read somewhere that Hotbird dishes are usually set at a higher pitch than Astra. Is this true? When I tilt the thing up Astra seems to disappear!

Cheers.

J

Jeff_19341

Do not tilt the dish, it is usual to tilt the LNB, which monobloc did you get, piccie?

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
It's a Yellow Cap 0.3dB. Got it on eBay. It certainly works - perhaps I'm just being lazy about fine tuning. No pic I'm afraid.

J

Jeff_19341

OK, think that I know the one.

You set up your dish to look at 13*east, hotbird, as I understand that they are weaker than those at 19*east. Looking from behind the dish towards the faces of the monobloc, the lnb for 19*east is on the right.
13*east is higher in the arc than 19*east.
The signal from 19*east is coming from slightly lower than and from the left of the one from 13*east.
This signal hits the dish and is reflected towards your 2nd lnb which should be to the right and slightly higher than the central one.
Hope that that helps.
JuMbuCk

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Mmmm. I'm wondering if I have got the thing the wrong way round.

Hotbird is LNB1 and Astra is LNB2, no probs there. Looking from behind the dish the right hand LNB is the clamped one and the left is the loose one. Are you saying that I should clamp the left and tilt the right upwards?

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
I've uploaded some pictures to the Picture Forum of Members' Setups. Listed under 'Monoblock setup'.

J

Jeff_19341

The usual proceedure in the UK is to centre the dish on Hotbird ie 13*east. Looking from behind the dish towards the lnb's the left hand one is in the clamp. The right hand one should be slightly higher to get the best reception from the Astra's at 19*east. I will now go off and try to find your pictures.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
I'm going to put my single LNB back on the bracket and tune Hotbird properly. Then I'll tighten the dish, remount the monoblock - this time the right way round - and then technically Astra 19 should appear on LNB 2.
Correct?

J

Jeff_19341

This is only a lash up, ignore the tape , but your set up should be as per my picture. Centre dish on hotbird 13*east, offset LNB (the one on the right looking from behind the dish)will then be on astra's at 19*east.
The yellow faced lnb is on 13*east, the white faced lnb is on 19*east.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Brilliant! I think I've got it now. I'll try this later on when I can get someone to watch the telly whilst I adjust the thing. I have found a couple of pics on the web which clearly suggest I've got it all wrong.
http://www.g4kur.btinternet.co.uk/sattv.htm#Installations
Would my satfinder (currently attached next to my stb) have any effect on reception?
What did you think of my pictures by the way?
Thank you so much for all your helpful hints. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
mrtomato.

J

Jeff_19341

Hi

Sorry for the delay, had to go to my daughter's.
Very nice pis, your set up is in a nice sheltered position, not too close to the ground, so you should not get cat problems.
Take the sat meter out of the circuit once that you are happy with your set up. Sat meters usually are connected to the lnb for setting up and then taken out of the circuit.
This picture below, from your link, shows how your set up should be, note that the "free" lnb (the one not fixed in the collar) is slightly higher.
Best of luck.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Cheers. I got straight on with it. Quite cunning as I set an intercom link with our phones to listen out when a channel appeared on Hotbird!

Managed to get up to 90% on some transponders.

Still got probs with Sky News, BBC World and CNBC on Astra - will try the tilting thing. However, I have just about every channel going on Astra and Hotbird. Like an idiot I did manage to snap my LNB bracket, so the insulating tape made an appearance!

Thanks again.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
:) Thank you so much Jumbuck! Everythng works perfectly! I took the SatFinder out of the circuit and the interference disappeared.
I now have 519 TV channels.

Your help over the past 24 hours has been amazing.

My sincere thanks.
mrtomato.:)

J

Jeff_19341

Nice to know that you took my advice to take the sat meter out of the circuit . Glad also that you now get plenty of channels on both birds. Happy to have been of some help.

Cheers:)