Trying to buy a motorised system help please !!

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm1500, 1mtr dish + motor. Buying a dreambox...
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Hi I have only joined what appears to be an excellent site a matter of hours ago, and I am currently trying to buy a motorised system for around £500-600 with up to a 1mtr dish(neighbours are good and wont grass me up). I have seen several posts with reference to the Dreambox, however I am still confused as to what it does that makes it so special.
What I would like to buy is a complete system that will let me receive as many channels from as many different bouquets as possible, there are so many around with different options that I just dont know where to start. I currently pay Mr Murdoch £20pm and dont want to keep throwing my money away on rubbish.
I live in Salisbury (South West,not certain if location will come in to what system I will need). Any help would be appreciated .

Thanx in advance

Ron

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum

I think you need to read about a good receiver have a look at this thread
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=45811&highlight=technomate+1500

Yes there is a lot to absorb but take your time and have a look at the report about this receiver. You do not have to go mad with this, start with a patch then add a cam later when you have more experience. Many on here would advise a dreambox (and they are a great receiver) but if you do not know Linux it could be difficult for you, but the required information is all here for you to read.

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Thats great, thanks for your quick reply, I have had no experience with Linux, but will certainly look at the Dreambox after i have followed your link. Thanks for your help again

Ron

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
The Dreambox would be to technical for you and the only benefit is that you can record tv onto a hard disk. In my opinion I do not think they offer great value for money. I have a Dreambox 7000s only because I got it trade and use it for recording tv and watching Sky which only a very limited number of receivers can do.

This guide should help you out as it recommends all of the hardware you will need and will also talk you through the install process.

http://www.whateveruwant.co.uk/setup.php

Though not on the site I know they can supply complete motorised systems for a good price so it may be worth sending them an email.

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Thanks longstockings
I did not know why the Dreambox was ment 2 be so good, however if that is one of the main benifits then I would not be that bothered. I will have a look at your link.

Thanx for your help

ron

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Do they have a shop down there LS as I will be down that way in a few weeks and they look quite cheap !

L.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ronaldbiggs said:
Thats great, thanks for your quick reply, I have had no experience with Linux, but will certainly look at the Dreambox after i have followed your link. Thanks for your help again

Ron

Hi and welcome to the forum. :-Welcome1

You mention in the first post that you want access to as many bouquets as possible. You need to realise before you go any further that many of the pay tv providers are now secure, and several more are expected to go secure in the near future.

And if you want Sky you pay for it - end of story they are totally secure.)

However even when all the pay stuff disappears theres still hundreds of free channels to play with :)

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Thanks, If as you say so many of the providers are now secure, what can I expect to find if I were to get a system. Basically what I am after is english films, footy, kids channels and documentarys. Would there be any chance of finding either FTA channels or channels that I could use with hex. Sorry if this is not possible nut I am uncertain about what is available.

Ron

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I would like to suggest you have a good look at these two sites.
They are your bibles as to what is available where and with what encryption
First _www.lyngsat.com, channels in white are FTA unless they say PAL in which case they are analogue. Another good site is _www.kingofsat.net. Have a good look on these to see what is available.

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Thanks very much, sorry If I keep asking what may appear stupid questions, I will have a good look at the sites. By the way I read your review of the Technomate 1500, very interesting although I was a little confused about the Smart card reader, does this mean that it is effect a multi cam?

Ron

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i would recommend one of the plaza boxes from manhattan for you.its very user friendly and the blind scan feature will find you all kinds of goodies for you to watch,any sat.dealer should be able to give you some good advice on what cam/programmer you might need.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
ronaldbiggs said:
Smart card reader, does this mean that it is effect a multi cam? Ron

It does indeed, in fact it's so smart it can even read postcards !

If you are still interested in the Technomate TM1500 CI+ have a look at this in E-Bay. It's a complete motorized system, receiver, motor, dish, and lnb for only £210 with delivery.

They are in E-Bay, the satellite boxes/receiver section.

These you can buy now.

ronaldbiggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SOUTH WEST
Thanx Rob
I am still very interested in the Dreambox and have just intalled linux in a Virtual machine enviroment on my PC. i understand that it is all linux based, but just how good are the Dreamboxes. I take it that there are alot more possibilities with it than just a standard receiver. Are all the channels gained in the same way (Hex codes). would be interested to hear from anyone who has a Dreambox, as i am still not certain which one to go for (Dreambox or Tm1500 CI+)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
ronaldbiggs said:
I have had no experience with Linux, but will certainly look at the Dreambox

By all means try the Dreambox, but beware they have a steep learning curve.
I have not tried using a Dreambox so I cannot comment on them and what they can provide, I will leave that to people who use them.

All I can say is that the Technomate is easy to use, it's very user friendly and if you have no or very little experience of receivers it might be better for you.
Your choice.

:-doh!