trying to understand the guides

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Ok i have my skystar 2 installed and working great with the technisat version of dvbviewer. well now i like to do some educational learning and look into the emulating capabilities of this card which i have heard of.

I followed the idiots guide to using dvbviewer and well i must be a bl**dy idiot because everything the guide says seems to be now outdated and incorrect for what i am trying to achieve.

1. purchase and install dvbviewer (ok well i assume thats the full version, i got the technisat dvb version on disc and i downloaded the one from there link to dvbviewer.com and i think its the same, it does not say version number ??? that would help)

2. Download Yankse (links dead but i found latest version through nobblys big links list (cheers) and i created the MDPlugins directory in root (case sensitive)

3. put softcam.key in the \MdPlugins subdirectory and in dvbviewer root dir (created using utility attached) well i did just used softcam.key i found, no need to convert as already done.

In the Filters directory, put regsvr32.exe (from Windows/System32), and drag and drop SkyAVC.ax to Regsvr32 to register it

Ok regsvr32.exe was not in the windows/system32 folder , i actually found it in the widows/system folder (should i be copying this file like this? or maybe better to cut and paste it? system files are funny things. So i did this. It then says drag and drop SkyAVC.ax to Regsvr32 to register it. where is the SkyAVC.ax file? i cannot fnd it and i searched the entire drive (so is it on the full version of dvbviewer or somewhere else?

put the channels.dat from SoftCSA (also attached) to the DvbViewer directory. Ok i dont have it attached cause the links dead but i searched for softCSA and it only had some folders and dll files but no channels.dat file. The original channels.dat file is already in the root directory of dvbviewer installed by default but obviously thats not the edited updated one.

ensure you have enabled Marfis Renderer (not got a clue where that is, was it maybe related to the original zip file which is now superceded by new filters or something?) its not to be found on dvbviewer version i have.

ensure you install softcsa attached in plugin directory, (well i cant install it cause there is no install files on any softcsa i have seen around the net,they seem too be either system files or dll files but no install file like an exe) so do i assume i just copy all files across as they are including file structure?

if you need ecm's they are in yankse.sid.cache in yankse zip (what cache?)

And i though this was going to be hard O-Ha

surely there must be a zip file compacted all into one with all the latest updates somewhere out there?) :(

Ofcourse i appreciate the fact that someone goes out of there way to write a guide and i can understand how simple in theory the dvbviewer guide is but if the tools are changing that much and the files etc then the guide is obsolete and needs to be rewritten and kept upto date to reflect this otherwise what is the point in having a guide that goes into specific detail when the detail change over time to the point that when you follow the guide it no longer makes sense?

sorry if i offend anyone but i bought the card thinking this was going to be a piece of cake but instead i got crumbs all over me :p

My thoughts on the skycard 2

i think the card is very good value for money and the features on the technisat dvbviewer version software is excellent but many differences
mentioned in the full version of dvbviewer seem to be in the technisat version available from there website for free so not sure if buying full version would make any difference to me as they do not mention all the differences of which they say there are many. The picture quality of skystar 2 is good but my pentamedia at 3 times the price still does have far superiour picture quality by far but its a great little card and i have no complaints there but i would think twice about buying the skycard 1 with tv out, i dont think it would be worth it as you can get better picture quality when you start paying £200 for the tv out feature. probably better getting a set top box at that stage unless you need the internet data facility ofcourse or just like pc based sat setups. Starcard 2 for basic tv without anything else running like internet broadband runs no problem on my pentium 3 450mhz with 640 megs and a geforce 3 t200 even though it says the minimum specification is p3 700mhz,256mb ram.

bought card from technisat.com with no problems and next day delivery so i would recommend them.

Any help to software/program/file links etc appreciated. :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't rate DVBViewer, bought a copy when I first got the SS2 card, but only used it a couple of times before changing to ProgDVB and then MyTheatre. MyTheatre will only work in XP or 2000 though. If you have XP, then installing MyTheatre is a doddle, simply find version 2.76, install it and then drop a softcamkey from Xamuh or similar into the MDPlugins directory and whammo.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Thanks for that Rolf :)

I actually quite like dvbviewer and was impressed by the electronic tv guide etc as this was something the pentamedia cards drivers did not cater for and i would have to trawl the tv guide websites to check out what was on.
i cannot get progdvb to work unfortunately and i have tried everything the forums and websites around the net suggest but it just will not see the skystar 2 card. I dont use XP but i am probably going to use 64 bit XP at some point when i upgrade to athlon 64 some point soon i hope. Microsoft give a free beta version from there website available for 1 year but i expect that will have too many bugs to be viable. checked but do not have win NT 2000 floating i could have installed that on to an 8 gig HD i have and just used it for satellite and browsing the Net.

why does mytheatre have to be v2.76? can it not be the latest version?
I dont have windows 2000 or xp so unless i can get a hold of it then i will have to find a way to work it in win 98 upgrade 2 :)
when you say drop the file into the MDPlugins directory is that directory already there or like dvbviewer using yagtze do you have to create it?
sorry this is all new stuff to me :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have a copy of XP that you can have mate, failing that there are loads of copies available on the upload sites. MyTheatre 2.76 is the last of the free versions, hence the popularity, also tried the latest one but had problems with it. Have you tried DVBMagic, might be an option http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=9273.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
PS. MyTheatre comes ready to roll, so all directories are already there.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
rolfw said:
I have a copy of XP that you can have mate, failing that there are loads of copies available on the upload sites. MyTheatre 2.76 is the last of the free versions, hence the popularity, also tried the latest one but had problems with it. Have you tried Dream Magic, might be an option.

Hi rolf :)
when i tried v1.76 it was asking for my email and stuff and then it would crash so i assumed it was not free. There is a 1.76 lite version is that the one maybe you refer too? i tried it on win 98 butno luck though it says that it might work but probably not likely to.

I can get a hold of xp but only originals tend to work as it is very heavily protected from piracy as far as i know. i am going to try win 2000 and see how that goes but i really want to stick to win 98 upgrade 2. Xp will certainly be an option for me soon though when i upgrade to 64 bit.

No i have not heard of Dream Magic but it sounds interesting.

I would still like to use dvbviewer on win 98 if i can as it suits my setup but im a little dazed and confusied to quote a led zeppelin song :D

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Ok i installed dvbdream and immediately got 2 errors :(

"error starting program
The DVBCORE.file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Geb_Device_IDA"

Then I got a red box when i hit ok on that message and got this

"dvbdream.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning"

:(

same thing happens when i try to run program (damn this is only xp verison isnt it? :( says in the readme.

anyway i installed MDTeletext plugin, drivers pack, satlist setup and codecs pack. still getting error message. think i do need the dvbcore installed or something? mdwrapper? will this software work on windows 2000?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hm don't know mate, will have a look at it later.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
im going to get a hold of xp from someone and will try dvbdream on it as you mentioned previously to me rolf. i suspect it is just some hiccup with the operating system or conflict because card works fine on dvbviewer as a free view anyway.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Starman, I installed Mytheater on Rolf'r recommendation, and it all worked fine, especially for someone with limited experience. I do have XP however, with 1.8 Gig processor 1 gig memory. The 2.76 version is ok, the only thing is you need to get a newer version of the transponder lists (I got this from somewhere else, together with the Diseq files for the motor I am using) and chuck in the softc. file.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
T_G said:
Starman, I installed Mytheater on Rolf'r recommendation, and it all worked fine, especially for someone with limited experience. I do have XP however, with 1.8 Gig processor 1 gig memory. The 2.76 version is ok, the only thing is you need to get a newer version of the transponder lists (I got this from somewhere else, together with the Diseq files for the motor I am using) and chuck in the softc. file.

Hi T G :)

Yes in think my main problem is just that i am not using the right operating system. Im trying to rectify that :)
I move my dish using a pace satellite possitioner which is all programmed for each satellite from 15 west to 42 east so i just type in the number and the motor moves to the sat,still think this is very cool :)
I did get a pop up page on mytheatre 2.76 asking for email and password (pretty sure i did even though its wrong operating system i was using at the time)
How would the diseq files for the motor work? i dont want to screw my system up as its woking ok with the pace programmer and im happy enough to put up with this. softc as in softc*m file u mean? or that other one softcsc or something? where did you get the updated transponder list? si it possible to also manually edit in notepad? is it an .ini file by any chance?
With this new s*ca 2 think happening im wondering which software will show the best support in the future, and i was thinking maybe the software that uses the yanktse may be the one as word on the forums talks of the guy who programs it maybe working on it as i type.

when i install xp i will no doubt have a few questions or it will be easy as you make it sound, heres hoping :)

ps. when you say chuck in the soft.c file where do you put it? in the main folder of mytheatre? or in the plugin dir or do you create the folder?
im getting confused because i am looking at several ways of doing this using several programs to get to the same goal and im getting muddled :D :D but ideally i would much rather have this all running in win 98 upgrade 2 if possible but it aint working for me.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Softcam.key goes in the MDPlugins directory, PM me with your address, I have a copy for you.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
rolfw said:
The Softcam.key goes in the MDPlugins directory, PM me with your address, I have a copy for you.
thanks rolf :)
i have the key and i think its up to date.
cannot get transponder info to show on progdvd beta version 4.32.1
any ideas? though i am not getting problem now with prigram starting and i am using a win 98 dll file that was provided in the yagtze

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I don't use ProgDVB mate, so can't help too much, I meant a copy of XP.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Hi Starman

I am a bit short on time and will try to answer some more later, but if you go to the http://multidec.host.sk/en/download_b2c2.html site, you will find somewhere the diseqc 1.2 plugin for the ss2 card. Download it and read the instruction. I sort of followed it step by step, and indeed I managed to get it to work. Also in there is a ctransponder list, which you should import for each and every satellite you are trying to tune to. (I am still trying to find out where a more up to date list is available)

Later, TG

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Thanks T.G for the reply :)
i have already been to that site actually and all the links are dead as they where when i last visited it the other day :(
I have managed to get progdvb to run successfully but its a big sluggish on my system and is causing problems namely broken picture and blockyness, the broken picture has nothing to do with my signal strength i believe but the blockness can be fixed with a patch so they say but i couldnt get the patch download link to work,but it was very easy to set up as u said. I am using the latest beta version as i was having problems with earlier ones. Im not really a fan of the program but everyone has there favourite. I just need to get he remote control running next. I am definately going to try the software rolf suggested once i get xp installed. Im amazed at the amount of channels that have moved to seca 2 and viaccess 2 in the last year, one of my favourite transponders was on astra 19e i think and it had sbs6, net 5, discovery and cinecinema etc etc on it and it was great but now it seems a little... well.... unobtainable, pity (for the moment anyway) :)

thanks for the offer rolf but i can get xp off a mate of mine.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Thanks T.G :)

I have the file but im not sure if i want to mess about with the diseq though.
Well i have progressed quite significantly since other day. i managed to get XP going and installed dvbdream and got it running fine but i am having the same problem that i am having in progdvb which is that i cannot get the brightness up in the picture, its a codec thing i think, i tried changing the codec on dvbdream and the program stopped working but its back again after a re install but still with a dark picture same as progdvb which i am starting to like the more i used it namely because it runs in windows 98 upgrade 2 which i prefer. They are all pretty similar software i think just some seem more user friendly than others and some are more stable i think.
I still like dvbviewer (using technisat version that came with card )and i can get the brightness to work on it but i havent got it fully functioning yet, it is still only showing free to air channels etc. This is the software i would really like to get running properly and its the only one i havent managed too funny enough :( i have not had any luck getting the full dvbviewer version which i think i need in order to do this. Be interesting to see what the next yangtze will be like for s*ca 2 support :) tried a softc*m conversion on those s*ca 2 tit*nium files for educational purposes :) but no luck as i expected.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Starman
I would still try to use the mytheater with the XP, at least therer I can help you more. I tried the technisat DVB that was with the ss2, but thought the Theater was user friendlier. But, I suppose you got to use what is best. Regarding the Diseqc, all this does is to give out the commands to the motor. So there is nothing to be afraid of. If there is, I might be in trouble because I've been messing with this for quite some time now....

rufffss

Reaction score
My Location
Mideast
all my mulivisions stoped. they're now scrambled. i have yankes 1.2.2.2 with the lasest softcam.key file i could find. have anything changed? plz PM me if anyone has answers..