tuning dish in?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I've just reset my samsung 9500 viaci to factory defaults. Does anyone know the best way to tune all the sats in again? I understand its best to start with Thor and work back. Any tutorials/advice appreciated. The box keeps losing the stored positions so I must be doing something wrong.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Theres a programme called set edit that can be used to add channels before scanning

Hacks are also available to bypass the purchase

If the dish is not behaving it does sound like a fault elsewhere, What firmware do you have in the box and what motor ?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
CH,

Firmware v118, 501 and 504. I thought I needed to get all the sats tuned in as best as possible before uploading any channel lists? The motor is a stab rotor sat HH100.

Its always been the case that I've felt there should be a sure fire way to tune into satellites rather than my 'suck it and see' approach.

MM v1.11

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
How old is the Stab and what size dish is fitted

These motors are notorious for premature wear, corrosion of the internal wires and play in the bearings

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
First thing is to check the play, if the arm in front of the dish moves more than 5-7mm either side of centre by pushing it left and right (before theres resistance ) then its time to replace the gearbox. Nothing cheap you can do to repair it unless you own a lathe.

If its within tolerance, its worth trying a couple of tests with a marker (long stick) bolted to the dish, and use the 'centre' command. Mark where the dish stops. Now set a couple of satellite positions in the memory and put these marks on as well See whether the marker always returns to the same positions as well as back to centre. If it does not then the internal sensor is on its way out (Wolsty I believe had a similar problems in March)

Lastly the receiver - I doubt the command structure of the firmware would cause mis pointing, but Im open to a 'first'

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks CH,

Its about time I got up and gave the thing a few pokes. A big stick sounds just the job for me, being the technical type and all that.;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In all walks of life the size of the stick is proportional to the amount of respect, always have one to hand

You will see that in the thread below this I also gave advice and the punter destroyed his actuator, hopefully you can redress the balance