Tutorial: Adding an English Subtitle to a Video File

A

Archive7

Introduction
There are many satellite channels that transmit the video with a subtitle in French. Italian, Polish or German for example.
Most satellite receivers don't allow manipulating the recorded files, but VU+ for example will create a *.ts file that contains everything, Video, Audio and Subtitle channels which can be extracted easily with the right applications.

There are times when we would like to record a program but can't understand it because we don't understand the language.
This tutorial will show you how to add a subtitle in your preferred language and then enjoy watching the program because you can add a subtitle file that is in exact synch with the video.
All you need is a lot of patience and two free software applications and your favorite video player, like VLC.

1 - Subtitle Edit

2 - Handbrake

3 - VLC Player which is well known I guess to everyone here.

1 - Subtitle Edit allows us to check if the file contains subtitle channels, presents what it finds and then enables us to extract the subtitle in the original language using an advanced and very fast OCR.
During the subtitle extraction, it will mark each word or sentence with a special colour to indicate how meanigful the extraction is, and also creates a list of suspect words that you can go over and try to make better guesses.
My aim in using the subtitle edit is to get a fast list of subtitles without spending any time on corrections, which can be very time consuming.
So my advice is to leave it alone. Sometimes I get a 7 for ? or a musical note for "I".
Apart from these obvious corrections, I don't waste any time on corrections.
Subtitle Edit can detect the language but it is helpful to select the language that you know it is being included instead of letting it guess.
When the application finishes the OCR stage, just save the file with a name with the original language.
Next there is an Auto Translate button and you can select a very convenient Google Translation from within the program.
When it finishes the translation to your preferred language for example English, just save the file with the same name but add English at the end.
Default extension is *.srt.

2 - Handbrake is a free video conversion program. Latest version has two containers options to choose: MP4 and MKV
MKV is very popular as it enables us to add an external subtitle file and watch the program with subtitle.
The conversion time is quite fast relatively to other paid programs. I am very happy with it.

In addition to using this tutorial for satellite recorded files, it is also possible to use it to create an English subtitle to a DVD or Blu Ray that doesn't have an English subtitle. As long as there is a subtitle in any language (NOT hard coded into the video), then we can create an English subtitle.
For example, German DVDs with a German subtitle or a French DVD with French subtitle.
I will follow this tutorial with three more threads for every stage.
Next ------