TV Asie 5 - problem

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Trying to get TV Asie 5 on Hotbird 11338V 5632 3/4, and getting no signal at all. Numbers confirmed by Wotsat, Lyngsat. Don`t understand why, could someone try and tell me whether they can get it?

System is fine otherwise(1.2m dish with Humax 5300). If there`s anyone with this receiver, it would obviously be interesting to know if they can get this channel, in case it`s a receiver problem.

Thanks

Ckrys1

H

harmieuk2001

hi .. i have the asme problem, although my dish is only 60cm, but for some reason i get the same strenghth of signal with it as with my 1m dish.. I remember trying to tune it but my reciever wouldnt lock on.. have you tried putting the pids in manually? OTher wise it may be that your reciever cant deal with SCPC channels very well. But I cant get it either

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
Thanks Harmieuk - sorry to show my ignorance, but what`s an SCPC channel?!!

Ckrys1

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
SCPC = Single Channel Per Carrier
MCPC = Multiple ....

SCPC signals only have one channel on the frequency in question. Others are multiplexed to give up to about ten (depending on bit-rate and whether statistical multiplexing is used, etc.).

2old

H

harmieuk2001

2old.. any reason why SCPC channels are gnerealy harder to receive than mcpc ones? and why the symobl rate are always odd? it seems it would make more sense that a channel on a carrier on its own would be easier to lock on than the multiple ones....?

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
Just to update this - I now receive TV Asie 5 no problem, because I TOOK OUT the line amplifier I had installed. I removed it `cos decided it wasn`t doing any good anyway, but I didn`t realise it could actually reduce a fringe signal. My cable length is about 30m, so thought it was worth a try.
I suppose it must have been amplifying `noise` and thus reducing the available signal. Is this the likely explanation?

Chris

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes probably Ckrys.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Certainly a line amp would be of little use when used with 30m cable run

Loss at at the highest frequency coming in (2100 MHz ish ) would still be less than 10 dB on standard CT100 type)

Line amps do have a tendency to amplify everything coming through it so they should only be used when the signal at the sharp end is less than what your receiver needs to run (threshold)

Problems you had were probably from either the two extra cable conectors and their associates coupling loss, over amplification or saturation of the tuner, or even a design fault in the circuit of the amplifier that caused a notch in signal at the IF downconverted frequency of TV5.

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
Thanks - you learn from your mistakes!

Ckrys1