TV recommendations?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
My 28" widescreen philips which I was quite attached to (*) has given up the ghost!

Any recommendations for flat panels you've recently bought?

-cts

(*) I'm quite attached to it because I built it out of spare parts when I was a student working in Holland for Philips - I cramed in every single feature, PIP, twin tuners, NICAM, and best thing is I put in one of two prototype tubes which were good performers (with lots of special coatings: anti radiation, anti glare, anti reflection, auntie this, auntie that) but was too expensive to put into production....and in '94 I was the first with a widescreen TV - I had to wait a good few years for the pictures to arrive! It should have cost £2K at the time, but lets say I didn't pay that - I was a student!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Wait until the New Year, everything will be half the price

I would go back to a tube for now if you are really desperate, the Goodmans TV can be got for as little as £100 in 24" form.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
And make sure it is high-definition compatible.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
closetosoton said:
It should have cost £2K at the time, but lets say I did pay that - I was a student!

Take it that's a mistake?

I have a couple of Philips TVs (one Plasma) and I agree the picture quality is great.

One gripe with TV pictures in general - fed up with black borders - widescreen crops - zooms - it's a full time job trying to get the picture the way I prefer it (automatic doesn't do it for me).

You buy a 42" TV and to see the full width of the DVD movie you lose about a third of the screen - rant over.....

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
gameboy said:
Take it that's a mistake?

yes corrected!

gameboy said:
I have a couple of Philips TVs (one Plasma) and I agree the picture quality is great.

fancy something flat and fancy, but meanwhile the afforementioned beast is in the shop for repair.... cts

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Just ordered a Philips 17" W/S LCD TV for the satellite gear upstairs, to hang on the wall. Running out of bench space. Time to retire the old CRT goggle-box (doesn't even have video i/p's).

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Channel Hopper said:
Wait until the New Year, everything will be half the price

bloody good idea... there seems to be 1000's to choose from, is LCD considerably better than Plasma?

-cts

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Llew said:
Just ordered a Philips 17" W/S LCD TV for the satellite gear upstairs, to hang on the wall. Running out of bench space.

be sure to tell us if its any good or not.... cts

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A similar Philips model looked superb in the shop. Didn't buy from there of course, got it online from Savastore (model 17PF4310), £299. £399 in Argos :(

BTW speaking of DIY TV's, I constructed a colour TV in the early '70s, a hybrid model - couldn't be bothered with a back cover and the LOP valves provided a nice red glow to the room - until it changed to purple (slight overrun of the stage :-doh! )
Forever adjusting the convergence controls, it ended up in my spares boxes.
Learned a lot from the project though.
Llew

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
closetosoton said:
My 28" widescreen philips which I was quite attached to (*) has given up the ghost!

Any recommendations for flat panels you've recently bought?

-cts
:D I got a Toshiba 32" fllat panel this year. Great picture after the the old Panasonic 28" crt. Only gripe is it doesen't reduce the sound enough on the adverts as its supposed to.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you're going larger than 28" then I would recommend that you get a TV with image improvement gubbins (100Hz, pixel multiplication,comb filter etc).

Philips appear to do the best implementation at the moment with their Pixelplus. They even have a version out now for the new HD TVs. Even on my SD 32" Philps TV (32PW9618) the various technologies work well with the standard PAL signal to get the best picture possible. I'm well chuffed with it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
closetosoton said:
bloody good idea... there seems to be 1000's to choose from, is LCD considerably better than Plasma?

LCD is newish technology, plasma is now ten years old and in its fourth incarnation. CRTs are like vinyl, at the end of the road, but for the money they cant be beat.

High definition is still a few years away, so if you have the space, blow £100 / £200 on a standard TV, you wont get the same quality from either LCD or plasma unless you start with 10X the budget.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
thanks for all that chaps. the current beast is 100Hz, which i too like very much, i'd never dream of going back to 50. on the £100 budget i note lidl are sporting a 28" set with PIP and other features this week (4:3 though)... looks like richer sounds have a few bargains too. still haven't herd back from the repair shop yet. oh well. cheers.

cts

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've got a 100Hz CRT and I've yet to see an LCD with a better picture (haven't seen any HD stuff yet though).