Tweaking my angles

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I ahve jsut installed amotorised systen for a friend and we can get from 19.2E to 8W but nothing outside of these.........

Should I drop my motor angle and raise my dish angle, or raise my motor angle and drop my dish angle,..........................

Thanks.........

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What type of motor is it and what reference did you use for your due south set up point?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Providing that the pole is plumb and you have set the angle on the motor mounting bracket to exactly your lattitude, then you shouldn't be far off beam. What is your longitude there?

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
Providing that the pole is plumb and you have set the angle on the motor mounting bracket to exactly your lattitude, then you shouldn't be far off beam. What is your longitude there?

My co-ords are 9.2West and 52.3N

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would have thought that if you can get 8W and 19.2E and your motor scale is set at the correct lattitude, then you should at least be able to receive the satellites in between those.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It is going to be a tradeoff between all three ajustments

Nothing further than 8W centrepoint suggests N/S post errors

Once this is corrected then you can check if 19E has got stronger or weaker and then adjust elevation and declination in equal amounts to get the full arc

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The thing with these motors CH, is that normally, providing the pole is plumb, the correct lattitude setting on the motor body, will produce the required results and after finding the due south satellite, it will track the correct arc.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It depends on the size of dish. With the average 70 / 80cm there is a good chance the tiny errors you get from setting up true south (is there such a thing ?) on a particular satellite may lead to the full arc. Once you go up a size, or have a very good dish in the first place, any error of latitude setting, even a hairs breadth on the post, will cause loss of part of the range.

The 'nothing' to the west of the location still smells of misalignment on the post.

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
too windy to do anything to day...............

Hope to try and look at things again tomorrow or Monday........

Will report back

Martie

Reaction score
I have devised an ingenious blend of hypermodern and prehistoric procedures to determine true south: (1) Launch the SS2DISEQC12 software http://dvbsoft.rvsnet.cz/files/SS2DiSEqC16.zip, feed it with your exact lattitude and longitude, among other things it gives you the time of the day when the Sun is in true south. In my geographical position, it is at 12.00 these days. (2) The prehistoric part: take a huge flat square plank or cardboard, lean it horizontally against the face of the dish creating a right angle between the face of the dish and your viewing trajectory to the Sun. Simply look alongside the plank right into the Sun (sunglasses highly reccommended:-) and slowly move the dish into the positon of true south, much like aiming a gun at a target. Of course, the h-h motor should be in its default zero position. Adjust the elevation angle depending on your lattitude and you've got a perfect arc both ways. Done it myself, works perfectly.

G

GotMyBusPass

Because the whole of the UK is in one time zone, for every degree longitude east or west of the zero meridian one must subtract or add 4minutes (time), to obtain the time that the sun is due south at that location.

For my longitude, 1*east, the sun is due south at 4 minutes to midday (GMT) or 11.56am (GMT)
For someone in Poole, 2*west, the sun is due south at 12.08pm (GMT)
For someone in Galway, 9*west, the sun would be due south at 12.36pm (GMT)

gmbp