Twin LNB causing lost signal on 2nd box

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Good friends of the Forum,

I've just installed a twin output LNB so that I can use two receivers for 28E, setup as follows: A 90cm toroidal, with 3 single LNBs and 1 twin LNB through a DiSeqC 4-way switch. All four LNBs go to an Echostar DSB 2110 with MR 1.08 and the twin also goes via separate cable to a Grundig digi-box. Since fitting this twin LNB the digi-box works perfectly fine all of the time, but the Echostar now has a signal loss on SOME channels. When I unplug the digi-box these channels come back. Iv'e tried playing around with LNB settings in both receivers, but not much you can do with the digi apart from turn off the 12v. Nothing works. !!! Bummer. Please can someone put me right. The main channels I loose are 5E TV1000 / Cinema / Disney, etc and 13E Multivisions.

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strange one snowy, haven't experienced the like, but haven't worked with an identical setup.

I can see no reason whatsoever why the Sky digibox should influence the 5E LNB, but do you have an opportunity to perhaps try a different twin unit? May be worth disconnecting the first feed from the twin, leaving only the digibox connected to it and see if it still affects 5E. This would perhaps show whether it is a radiated or cable connected problem.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the reply rolfw,

I did have a previous twin, (LNB that is!), but I broke one of the outputs so now use it as a single. This is the second twin I've had to buy and they don't come cheap, hence its a 2nd hand one off ebay. Could be that it has some kind of fault then? But I will try your suggestion to disconnect the other outlet and see what happens. Originally I had fastened my two cables together along the wall, and thought that this was the problem, but I've separated them and its still there.

Cheers.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
rolfw,

Since you haven't seen this problem before, some updated info.

I tried disconnecting the second outlet from the LNB to the Echostar as you said and the interference stopped, so not a line radiation issue. I then swapped the order of LNB connections into the 4-way switch and this has had an impact. Still not quite there, Astra 1 is now loosing signal, but next time I'm up the ladder I'll do some more playing. It could be the 4-way that's buggered.

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for that update Snowy, will be interested to hear about the final results. :)