Twin LNB or splitter ?

Breadfan

Reaction score
Hi,

Having got some kit from ebay I'm planning my 1st motorised satellite installation, and could use a little advice please.

I have a 1m dish with 8" actuator. I also got a very cheap Manhattan 9000 analogue receiver. I realise there's little/nothing left to watch on analogue now, but this box has a positioner on board, I plan to add an SS2 pci card for digital viewing.

My (1st) question is, which is the best way to connect this system? As I see it there's two options, a) Use a twin LNB and two cable runs, one to the SS2 and the other to the Manhattan to control the dish. :cool: Use a single LNB and one cable then use a splitter and run short cables to each point.

My preference would be option :cool: , as singles are about £15 cheaper than twins, the cost of the splitter itself would be offset by savings in cable. I should add here that I need to get an LNB anyway, C120 type as the dish came without one.

Would option B cause me any problems? Any advice on pros & cons either way? Thanks for any help : )

Breadfan

apogee2010

Reaction score
Option B only allows you to share 1/4 of the frequency range at any one time - either horizontal or vertical polarity and either high or low band - because this switching occurs at the LNB.

In other words you won't be able to watch a channel with vertical polarity on one receiver and a channel with horiztonal polarity on the the SS2 card simultaneously. Similarly for the bands.

However, if you just want to use one receiver at any one time, then the splitter is fine and will save you the bother of physically moving the coax cable from one receiver to another.

Breadfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Apogee, I will only ever need to use 1 receiver at a time so the splitter option looks favourite at the moment, cheers : )

Breadfan