Twin tuner receivers & OMT

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbitron MicroMesh 3.6m dish with chaparral polarotor,SMW X-LINE TYPE E LNB.Nokia Dbox1, DM500s.Drake ESR 2000XT + Echostar LT8700
My Location
East of England
Has anyone got the following setup up an running or is it possible to set this up, a twin tuner receiver connected to a orthomode transducer (OMT) .

lnb1(Horizontal polarity) = connected to Tuner 1
lnb2(Vertical polarity) = connected to Tuner 2

I am looking to upgrade my old nokia dbox2 in the near future and was wondering rather then using switchs to select the lnbs, is it possible to connect lnb feed directly into the respective tuners as explained above. The lnbs i will be using are either the smw x-line and wdl or calamp wide band. These lnbs require 18v/14v dc for band switching. Which receiver is suited for this type of setup.

Thanx

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
..Hi m8 ...
not absolutely certain ..but I would assume any tuner/receiver which allows you to manually assign Horizontal and Vertical ..during the scan would be interpreted as High and low band switching ..
The actual polarity being determined by the omt feed aperture ..
between the two tuners and 2 lnbs you should theoretically get all channels H and V /High and Low band..
..hope I'm correct..
rgds
VS

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbitron MicroMesh 3.6m dish with chaparral polarotor,SMW X-LINE TYPE E LNB.Nokia Dbox1, DM500s.Drake ESR 2000XT + Echostar LT8700
My Location
East of England
The whole idea is to minimise the losses by taking the switch out of the equation and I'm also looking for a twin tuner receiver that has the lnb band switching option in the menu. I know from personal experience that there are two receivers that have the option of selecting the bands from menu they are the Nokia dbox1 (9200/9600) and the triple dragon but these are old hat now.

Like many linux receivers including my nokia dbox2 to obtain a workable solution for my setup i have to modify the channel list (service.xml) manually to select the upper/lower bands or edit the entire satellite.xml and this takes for ever :mad:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The last receiver I used with a twin tuner was the Aston 1800 Xena series.

You may end up using two receivers for your project if a switch is out of the equation.

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East of England
Channel Hopper said:
You may end up using two receivers for your project if a switch is out of the equation.

I was afriad someone was going to say that :)

Any of the lads on here using SMW or Cal Amp lnbs if so what receivers are you lot using ?

I would love some feedback.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If it is of any help, I found the Clark-Sat receiver I tested last month to have one of the best tuners/demodulators I have had a chance to play with. It was sufficiently better than three other boxes I had been mucking about with in the past year or so.

I will get a model number in the next day or so.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
for swtiching the polarity with out signal lost i use a swtich called high isulation swtich,this item is very rar inthe meantime,you can swtich manually with the a/b swtich!

at the moment,the have some items left only on amazon usa,in europe this product seems to be not avalible anymore...

here a picture of it!

_http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-High-Isolation-Switch/dp/B0002J2P2A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1256591089&sr=8-3

on some settings configuration i see only selectible 13 volt swtiching,but most lnbs support 14 volt,i using smw omt with to xline lnbs,iam not sure,is it posible with old dbox 2 to make the configuration compatible like it should be?

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East of England
Channel Hopper said:
If it is of any help, I found the Clark-Sat receiver I tested last month to have one of the best tuners/demodulators I have had a chance to play with. It was sufficiently better than three other boxes I had been mucking about with in the past year or so.

I will get a model number in the next day or so.

Thanks m8 i really appreciate that.

Turok said:
on some settings configuration i see only selectible 13 volt swtiching,but most lnbs support 14 volt,i using smw omt with to xline lnbs,iam not sure,is it posible with old dbox 2 to make the configuration compatible like it should be?

Turok,

what receiver are you using with your smw x-line lnbs ? does your receiver have the band switching option in menu ?

My nokia dbox2 outputs 19.2vdc (H) for high band and 14.6vdc (V) for low band so the voltage levels are within smw specification for band switching to work correctly.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Echostar Dvr 7000!
you can also use the manhattan plaza!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Looking throught the delivery docket, the receiver I had on test was the Clarke-Tech CT3100 plus, with USB port.