TWINHAN with IRDETO 2 CAM (for Nova - Greece)

Arkadian

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it possible to use the TWINHAN PCI card (with CI slot) with an irdeto 2 card? Some websites say that the TWINHAN will accept Irdeto 1.06 cams; Does that mean that it will not accept the irdeto 2 cams?

Are you aware of any alternative PCI cards that will accept the IRDETO 2 CAM?

Thanks!
Arkadian

Minosse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Building and HTPC with satellite access.
I have a similar question: I need to use a Matrix / Dragon CAM (for NDS access) on a satellite card with CI. Will Twinhan work? Do you have experience with that/other cards and those CAMs?

Arkadian

Reaction score
Minosse said:
I have a similar question: I need to use a Matrix / Dragon CAM (for NDS access) on a satellite card with CI. Will Twinhan work? Do you have experience with that/other cards and those CAMs?

I ended up getting the Skystar 1 CI PCI card (which is identical to the Twinhan card - I'm actually using the Twinhan DTV drivers and software). The card works almost fine with my IRDETO CAM (Greek Nova card). I'm saying "almost" because it sometimes (once a week) freezes and I have to restart the player (but not the PC).

This card uses software decoding; if you are recording a program and you are watching it at the same time, the image is a bit jerky.

The files are recorded in mpeg, the quality is perfect, and you can simply burn them on a disk and play them on a divx player. To convert them to proper DVD format is tricky and very time-consuming - I wouldn't recommend it. This is because these are mpeg-TS files, so you still have to transcode them to mpeg-dvd files (which takes approx 3-4 hrs on my 3.0Ghz P4 machine...).

I hope this helps!

Minosse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Building and HTPC with satellite access.
Thanks for you help! I'm not finding around any references on this matter, so I guess I will have to try it out, as you did.
I expected s/w decoders to be a bit slow... but h/w ones are too expensive! With Hauppage Nexus, for instance, you end up paying 300€ (~200£) for the decoder card + CI module :(

Arkadian

Reaction score
Thinking back, I now wish I had bought the Hauppage Nexus with the CI Module... if you can afford it, then I totally recommend you to do it!