Twinner STU 976(M?) NEWBIE QUESTION

S

spank_monkey

Hi all,

I am in a rented house in france at the moment, and the set top box we have is a Twinner STU 976 or 976M (I'm not sure how to tell the difference). The manual is in french, and none of us read or speak french (we are just here for the sun). I also think it has the wrong remote for it, which doesn't help.

It appears to be an analouge reciever but it claims to be digital compatible. How does that work? It also says it has DISEqc v1.0.
Does anyone have any info on this system? I've done a google search and it comes up with nothing!

It is obviously an ancient system.

It picks up heaps of german channels, MTV and MTV2 pop being the notible ones. I can also get CNN, Bloomberg, and Eurosport all in english.

To get to the point(s) can someone please tell me what satellite I'm pointed at?
I'm thinking astra 1 but then astra doesn't carry many analouge channels any more does it? So am I picking up digital channels?

And if I am picking up digital channels, is there a satellite that carries more english channels that I can point my dish at? It is a 60cm dish with a twinner LBM.

Also, if I bought a sky digibox off ebay UK, would it work with my current LBM, being for an analouge system?

As you can tell, I'm really new to this, so any help you could give would be much appreciated, even if it is only a link to another site.

Thanks very much.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
All of the channels you mention are in analogue on Astra 19.2, there are probably more free to air English language channels in analogue than there are in digital.

With the regard to the receiver, there are several available that can receive analogue and digital, you could probably tell by looking at the menu, similarly the LNB, if it says universal on it, it can be used for Sky digital, the dish should be OK as well.

Providing you can access the menu with the existing control, you can also find out which satellite you are aligned to by checking the frequency of say Eurosport, and then checking against the frequency allocated in http://www.lyngsat.com

Rolf

S

spank_monkey

Thanks for the info.

The remote will not do anything with the menu at all. all it will do is change channel and volume. I think I'll just give up. I'm only here for a few more weeks anyway, but it was a nice pipe dream.

Thanks heaps.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Oh well, too bad, but I don't feel too sorry for you, all that Sun, Booze and Birds. :)

Rolf