Two DSR's receiving in mysterious ways!

Sizzlebeaver

Reaction score
Website
www.bfawsappeal.org
My Satellite Setup
- 1.2m dish with twin LNB(Hotbird 13east, Badr 4 26east) through monoblock then combined with two terrestrial aerials into one cable from 3rd floor roof to ground floor; triple powerpass splitter (2 outputs used) to one digbox (Manhattan Plaza st200)
My Location
Larnaca District, Cyprus
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have only had satellite reception for a year so am a bit perplexed by a problem that I'm having with my satellite system that I've been continually modifying. Its difficult to explain, but I'll be a brief and precise as I can.

I have a twin LNB satellite system (Hotbird and Badr4) that combines into one feed then combines with a terrestrial aerial feed into one co-ax cable (the reason is that it then runs from the third floor roof down a thin pipe through a central wall three floors to the ground).

At the bottom, it splits (now using a dual power-pass) to two rooms where each is split again to a powerpass and non-powerpass. So reception from terrestrial and both LNB's is available in both rooms.

The problem is is that when both dsr's are on not all channels work in either room independantly unless a). You are on the same channel or; :cool: you are on certain channels but there is no rhyme nor reason as to which one (for example - the one digibox has a Viaccess BBC Prime card inserted (the other box does not have a smartcard slot or card only CAM slots) and you can only see the unscrabled channel (BBC Prime (Hotbird)) if the other dsr is on Dubai 'One channel (Badr4).)

Another example is if you are on MBC2 (Badr4) on the one you can receive MBC2 (the same channel on the other), or MBC4 (again Badr4), but not Dubai 'One.

I've tried using the loop through connector from one box to the other (though I'm not exactly sure what this is actually used for) and it's the same result, besides the in/out cables have to run a long stretch together so I thought there may be interference (though I've only experienced this with a power cord runing along the same path as the co-ax).

Either way it's not interference in the true sense of the word - can anyone explain to me what phenomenon is going on?:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Two receivers cannot control the same LNB/diseqC switch, as you will get the conflicts you are now experiencing.

Sizzlebeaver

Reaction score
Website
www.bfawsappeal.org
My Satellite Setup
- 1.2m dish with twin LNB(Hotbird 13east, Badr 4 26east) through monoblock then combined with two terrestrial aerials into one cable from 3rd floor roof to ground floor; triple powerpass splitter (2 outputs used) to one digbox (Manhattan Plaza st200)
My Location
Larnaca District, Cyprus
So is the answer to getting satellite reception in two different rooms is to use the loopout (does this mean that you can't get separate channels on the dsr's ???) or put two DiSEq switches in somehow?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll have to use twin LNBs and two DiseqC switches, otherwise you can only watch channels on the same band/polarity. :)

Sizzlebeaver

Reaction score
Website
www.bfawsappeal.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Larnaca District, Cyprus
Bummer!

Thanks though.

(Can't believe that this situation has never occured before - I heard on Dr Dish that KAON has a single box that sends a signal to all tv's in the house - wish I'd bought this one at the outset! (But then I wouldn't have watched Dr Dish, would I!:-doh! ))

Bummer!

Thanks Again!