Two LNB's at opposite positions?

H

harmio

Hi, my dad is currently using 1m dish to receive the cocktail of Iranian junk /trash/waste of time american/cheapy (any others?) from the usa on telstar 12 at 15 degrees west. He is refusing to buy another dish so that I can watch "Armenia TV" on Eutelsat at 16 degrees east. I currently have 4 dishes. One minidish, one 60cm aligend on hotbird, one 60cm at 16degrees east but without a universal LNB (hence useless for Armenia tv). I have tried the 60cm with armenia tv but it fluctuates very much and i figured n 80cm dish would provide at least watchable picture... Anyway.. to my question.. this may be stupid but could I *construct* a bracket myself and attempt to recieve 16 degrees east from the dish at 15 degrees west!!! (I KNOW!! DONT LAUGH!) Or if not............ does anyone know if its worth me saving up for an 80cm dish and LNB for 16 degrees east, as I dont want to get it and it not to work...I currently recieve the georgian mux very well with my 60cm but dont have a uni. lnb...However I couldnt get a watchable picture on armenia before it fluctuated too much...any input? This is realyl urgent all my favourite programs from the armenian state tv on hotbird have moved contracts to this one!!!

?
Harmick Azarian
S. Wales...

BTW for those who were talkin about it.. i get hotbird with a minidish when i want to align it...the best way i find is hook up a cheap analogue reciever and use as a meter,, u can actually see a picture then.. then switch to digital to optimize the c/n ratio...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Harmick,

a 30 degree spread is too much for a standard dish, if you can get hold of an 80cm it would be better. You must be getting to a point now where it's got to be worth considering a cheap motorised option, the house must be starting to look like a radio telescope. :)

Might be worthwhile considering a zone 2 minidish, as it comes complete with a universal LNB and is slightly more compact than an 80cm.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Rolf - are you advising Harmick to get a bigger dish ? Sounds like the end of the house will fall off

Why not take the universal off one of the other dishes when you are not using them, if they are easy to reach, or better still put the largest dish you have on a motor and move round to the useful channels.

P

peter12

Hello Harmick,

Channel Hoppers idea seems the best. i had a similar problem and got a diseqc mount which uses the lnb cable for signal and power,i.e no extra cabling. Not good to have too many dishes up
(1) cos of some sort of regulations
(2) more things to go wrong;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes agreed the motor is the best option, but a larger dish will still be required to pull in the requisite channels.

Rolf

H

harmio

thanks for all your help guys...BUT...the one limiting factor is a serious lack of financial resources. when your 16 and jobless its very hard even to begin thinking about motors....especially when ive found an 80cm dish and pole mount with universal LNB for £50...
my plan when i get this kit is to remove the one dish on the front of the house as it has no universal lnb and is pretty useless... then take the new 80cm up to the back and mount it on an extension of the exisintg pole in the back garden.. well my house does look like some soviet research centre but at least this way ill only have to dishes out front and 2 at the back....and my house is in a conservation area which I find funny.. and even funnier is that I live opposite the planning office for my county.. so therefore Ive kind of come to not regard the regulations :) no ones cares about havnig 60 aerials attachec to their houses. damn society. :)

I suupose a diseqc motor would be great but I have no 1.2 reciever, only diseqc 1.. and also.. I spoke to my uncle in sweden today,, and he has built himself a bracket and uses his 90cm dish to receive Iranian junk and hotbird at 13 degrees which i couldnt believe.. but hes done it..ive seen the dish myself

anyway ive figured itll be about 4 weeks till i have enough money and i'll let you know how i get on installing it....

:) thanks
harmick azarian

TB

Reaction score
Hey harmick, I know of a good satellite dealer that could sort you out, he's always got second hand stuff, preety cheap, or always stuff in free ads. Most south wales councils are crap, all jobs for the boys so nothing ever gets done, unless you cross them, then they can make your life hell.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Maybe your man in Sweden has one of those new Toroid 90 dishes, in which case it is possible to get both satellites (just). A normal dish will have almost no chance

There are motors on the market with the brand Digiquest on them, that will run to four positions from a standard DiSEqC 1.0 receiver. These are cheap (about £50) but Im not sure who sells them nowadays.

Im pleased to see someone else has raised the issue of dishes requiring permission to fit even in the garden, but the authorities dont give a monkeys about a corroded 20 element aerial with rusting cable lashings, on a chimney of a three storey building, above a crowded high street. What would you class as more dangerous ?

H

harmio

hi all...
following my mothers intense fit of rage at the fact that there would be another dish.. my dad told me not to bother with the 80cm and he'll motorise the 1m dish...we were looking around and found a cheap kit from myersat.com that comes with a polar mount, motor, simple positioner and set up kit for £95.. which is not much extra to pay once ive sold the 60cm with lnb and the other 60cm with the lnb....well if i can sell them for 30-40 ....but there seems to be a general lack of respect for 60cm dishes since sky digital....novice people ( not that i believe myself to be knowledgable) simply try to get rid of their old sky dish (quite a few of which have uni. lnbs) at rock bottom prices like £10 not realising the Lnb can sell for more....

hmm
any other cheaper places to get the above kit?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If its anything except a true DiSEqC motorising upgrade, make sure the positioner runs off its own cable (four wires running alongside the signal cable)

Ive seen plenty of examples (Irte being the worst) where the box thats inserted to receive the remote control, stops many digital signals from coming back to the receiver