Two Receiver Motorised Setup

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I was wondering the best way to have a two receiver motorised setup. The diagram I have drawn below shows the basis of what I think the layout needs to be like.

Where I have the question mark I think I'ld require some kind of switch that would, when switched one way, take input1 -> output1 and input2 -> output2. Then when switched the otherway would connect in1 -> out2 and in2 -> out1. If this was possible then you could make a selection on which satellite had control of the motor. But because it is a dual LNB, you could get both V and H channels on both receivers at the same time.

Dont know how you guys think this would work, or if there is even a switch for what I want to do. But any ideas greatly appreciated. Or obviously alternative solutions.

Thanks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
damhy said:
I was wondering the best way to have a two receiver motorised setup. The diagram I have drawn below shows the basis of what I think the layout needs to be like.

Where I have the question mark I think I'ld require some kind of switch that would, when switched one way, take input1 -> output1 and input2 -> output2. Then when switched the otherway would connect in1 -> out2 and in2 -> out1. If this was possible then you could make a selection on which satellite had control of the motor. But because it is a dual LNB, you could get both V and H channels on both receivers at the same time.

Dont know how you guys think this would work, or if there is even a switch for what I want to do. But any ideas greatly appreciated. Or obviously alternative solutions.

Thanks
It would be almost impossible to synchronise your receivers' motor drive - when one receiver moves the dish, the other will have lost its positioning.

Llew

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Llew said:
when one receiver moves the dish, the other will have lost its positioning.
I'm not too bothered about this issue, as long as both receivers can use the LNB and I can switch which one has access to the motor. As I see it, if one receiver changes the satellite, I can just go through the menus on the other receiver and make it think that its changing satellite, even though it wont even be connected to the motor at the time.

If that makes sense.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
damhy said:
If that makes sense.

I think you're correct.

As long as only one receiver has control over the motor.

You will need two cables to a dual LNB but only one will go through the motor.

Only thing you will have to know where the dish is pointing or you will have to do a lot of channel changing on the second receiver.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
gameboy said:
Only thing you will have to know where the dish is pointing or you will have to do a lot of channel changing on the second receiver.
LOL, either that or I'll end up breaking it after getting infuriated that it isnt working!

Its just where would I get a switch like the one I suggest, so they exist??? I'm sure its possible to make one out of several switches, but that would be more hassle than its worth.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
damhy said:
LOL, either that or I'll end up breaking it after getting infuriated that it isnt working!

Whoops! Didn't read the switch bit - sorry

Your best bet would be to use a dual LNB which will let you watch both H and V channels on both receivers.

The cable from receiver one will control the dish motor.

The other cable from receiver two would go direct to the LNB.

No switch - the switch would just cause problems with referencing the motor to two receivers.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
gameboy said:
No switch
That was the core part to the setup, i have two receivers in separate rooms, so I wanted to be able to set it up so that I could use the motor from either. That way I wouldnt say need to keep going to the living room to move the dish everytime I am using the other. I have a simple switch one receiver or the other at the moment, its just I'ld have liked to have both with reception facility rather than just one at a time, and I wanted to choice which one of the two had motor control.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It's not easy to solve. I have the setup that GB specs above at the moment, but want one like you specify. I have a cunning plan. It's not pretty, but it's mine.

If only I was mad enough to try it.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:

No way!!!

Think about it!

dago

Reaction score
its relatively easy, use a cable splitter,or if your receiver has lmb passthrough, use
that, and as long as you remember to leave the dish on hot bird every time,and both
receivers on hot bird, then there is no problem, but you must remember to park it
on the same sat, otherwise it becames a total mess.
regards.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BGonaSTICK said:
I have a cunning plan.
For a second there I was convinced that you were being serious. :rolleyes:

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I think I am getting closer to the solution provided that you have a receiver (number 1) with an antenna loopthru this would allow you to use Receiver 2 for motor turning, but would limit the V/H when both are used. But if switched so rec2 is on the un-motorised cable, then rec1 has full control and both can get all V and H channels.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
dago said:
its relatively easy, use a cable splitter,or if your receiver has lmb passthrough, use that.
Not that simple doing it this way will allow both to control the motor, but will mean that both receivers can only receive one polarisation at a time. So one will act as the master, this will say set the LNB to a channel with vertical polarisation, now if the second receiver wants to watch a channel that is horizontal, it cannot do so, because the LNB is powered for vertical by the master.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:
No way!!!

Think about it!
LOL, maybe for 1W!!!!

Maybe it would work if both motor output shafts were vertical at 0 degrees, and you always returned the not-in-use motor to due south before diving the other motor. Unfortunately, there is only one latitude that it would work!

We'll all have to move into the same street in Worksop, or wherever it happens to be!!!

Somebody work it out, and I'll award you a prize... :D :D :D

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BGonaSTICK said:
Maybe it would work if both motor output shafts were vertical at 0 degrees, and you always returned the not-in-use motor to due south before diving the other motor.
Actually I think you are right here. Though as soon as you try to tell it what sat the other receiver moved it to then it'll all go out of alignment as it tried to move it. Grrr.

There must be a good, simple, and more importantly cheap solution to this.

stuntbelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm1500ci, dragon cam, art card 80cm duel lnd fixed dish hotbird and Astra. 28" w/s tv
My Location
Sunny West Kirby, Wirral

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Llew said:
Which takes us back to my first answer - you can't control one dish from two receivers without losing alignment. Unless you return the dish back to the position set by the first receiver.
This isnt a problem with my receivers because effecively that's what i am doing at the moment. One receiver on each input of a switch, then to the motor. If you switch over to the other receiver and its not currently aligned with the satellite it thinks that it is on, you need to change to another satellite, and change back. But this does mean that you dont need to think, i need to set the motor back to a ref point before I turn it off.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
It's not easy to solve. I have the setup that GB specs above at the moment, but want one like you specify. I have a cunning plan. It's not pretty, but it's mine.

Was going to try this, but as i was writing this just thought you would be still only be able to view the one Satellite. Extra dish I suppose is the answer.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
john_graydon said:
Extra dish I suppose is the answer.
If it werent for the hassle I had over dish number 1 with the neighbours dissapproval then that would certainly fix the prob. Bu ti really dont think I'ld get the planning concent, and without it the neighbours are bound to complain anyway.