two receivers, one motor and A/B switch

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish, superjack dg120, technomate 1500ci+
My Location
north wales
Hi all, currently have a dm500 downstairs and arriving tomorrow will be my new technomate 9100 this will be going in my bedroom.

I want both box's to be able to control the motor, so i have decided to go with a HIGH ISOLATION AB SWITCH

I have a concern regarding the switch, because when i set my dads technomate 1500 with a superjack dg120 motor, the cable had a join in it , we had a good signal but the motor would not respond at all

It turned out to be the join in the cable, even though it gave a good signal the break in the connection where the join was must of been enough for the pulse of the motor to lose itself at this point (maybe i am talking rubbish)

After replacing the cable with a complete line with no join in it, the motor worked perfectly

My concern is that now i will be having two receivers being channeled through this switch, there is obviously a break where it connects inside the switch and from there the single cable going to the motor

Am i likely to experience a similar problem as my dads setup when he had a break in his cable?

Are there any other problems i may come across in your experience?

thanks for reading and hope someone can clear my mind

:-worship

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Not a good idea to have two receivers working one motor. You'll lose the current position in one box when moving the motor with the other.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
...just to add that it should be OK if both STB's are precisely on the same satellite, but you would have to remember this when moving the dish with either STB.

Llew

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
north wales
Llew said:
...just to add that it should be OK if both STB's are precisely on the same satellite, but you would have to remember this when moving the dish with either STB.

Llew

thanks for that

but wouldn't it just be a matter of telling the other box which sat the motor is aligned to

for example

i am watching box 1 is pointing at 13e so the motor is positioned at 13e.

then i decide to watch box 2 later on , which is already at 28.2e, because the last time i watched this box it was positioned at 28.2e, i switch box 2 on and i have no signal, because the motor is now at 13e.

so i then change to a channel on 13e, box 2 should then realise it is at 13e and displays a picture?

or even if i change to a channel on 16e, the motor should move to the co-ordinates saved in the receiver and proceed to the correct position?

or am i thinking about this the wrong way

thanks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm pretty sure it needs to know its last position to move to your selected satellite. Maybe someone can confirm this ( I don't use Diseqc positioning).

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The motor will probably get confused, but by all means try it.

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
north wales
hope it wont!

if anyone knows for sure, and has tried this can you please post here i would appreciate it

although i will try this myself when my cable , switch and box comes i would like some clarification

i was led to believe that there was 3 ways to control a motor with two boxes

1.loopthru - will allow either box to operate a motor , but the main should be on standby when operating the slave

2.twin or quad lnb and just use one box to drive the motor

3. use a manual A-B switch

so i opted for 3

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
I may be able to try it this evening with a Moteck SG2100A, but really the test needs to be with an identical setup to yours, in case their are compatibility issues.

Regards,

Yorks.:)

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
north wales
Yorks said:
I may be able to try it this evening with a Moteck SG2100A, but really the test needs to be with an identical setup to yours, in case their are compatibility issues.

Regards,

my box wont be here until tomorrow now :-Nooo

so i will have to wait

if you could try and do something similar and report back tonight, that would be superb

the motors are basically the same and if you have two receivers connected to it, to power it then that should be a good test

thanks

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
It does appear to work, although not flawlessly.

Equipment used:-

TM1500ci Receiver(Usals) on switch connection 'A'.
Tevion FTA Receiver (Usals) on switch connection 'B'.
A/B Hi Isolation Cable Switch.
Moteck SG2100A Motor. on 'To TV' connection.

Using Usals on both receivers. One receiver seems to remember where it is, and therefore when switching A/B switch to that receiver it will move to the sat/channel that it is 'on'. The positioner doesn't seem to be able to cope with two sets of instructions (from two receivers), so unless the the second receiver is already on the same satellite as the first, then when switched it will not move to the sat channel that it is tuned into.

To remedy this, if you choose a third sat position - different to the one being received on the first receiver, and different to the currently tuned one on the selected (second) receiver, then the positioner should move to this selection and from then on will know where it is. When switching back to the first receiver it should pick up where it left off.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
north wales
wow nice one

thanks for trying that out, really appreciate that, true gent

now i need to re-read the bottom part "remedy" a few times to make sure i know what you mean lol

so basically if receiver one is on 13e, and i switch on receiver two which was previously positioned at 16e, i wont get a signal?

then i move receiver two to say 19e and then it will display a signal?

then when i switch back to receiver one, it will take me back to 13e it's last position?

am i understanding this correctly?

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Spot on!

As long as you know that when switching to receiver two, if the picture doesn't appear immediately (ie not already in position) then sending it to another position will get it back on track. Hope this works the same for you.

Regards,

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
north wales
music to my ears!

that is exactly what i was hoping for!

i will post back an update after i have tried my setup

thankyou Yorks
:-worship

Yorks said:
Spot on!

As long as you know that when switching to receiver two, if the picture doesn't appear immediately (ie not already in position) then sending it to another position will get it back on track. Hope this works the same for you.

Regards,