Two thirds of all e-mail is now spam

N

net1

E-mail security firm MessageLabs' filtering statistics for April, which were published on Monday, show that 67.6 percent of all global e-mail traffic is spam, ZDNet reports.

MessageLabs said it scanned 840 million e-mail messages in April and found that 97 percent of spam is aimed at five countries: the United States, the U.K., Germany, Australia and Hong Kong. The United States has the worst problem, with 83 percent of messages being classified as spam, while in the U.K. that figure stands at 53 percent.

Mark Sunner, chief technology officer at MessageLabs, said that although the United States has the worst overall spam problem, the increasing penetration of broadband in the U.K. could mean similar figures by the end of the year.

"It's only a matter of time until the UK falls victim to similar volumes of spam. When it comes to the Internet, when the U.S. sneezes, the rest of us catch a cold," Sunner said.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
net1 said:
..."When it comes to the Internet, when the U.S. sneezes, the rest of us catch a cold," Sunner said.

Not very original of him to say that...

Not surprised about the % of emails that are spam however.

Perhaps getting an email address that isn’t registered in United States, U.K., Germany, Australia or Hong Kong would be a sneaky away around it, but I expect that the address would somehow or other still end up on spam lists anyway.

mhz

Reaction score
Well
Watch out
Don't stand next to it
or you'll get it

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive seen a dramatic rise of junk with attachments in the past 72hours

Are we onto a new variant ?