1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

Using Wireless bridge and
PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Hi,

Has anyone tried a media server that has TwonkyVision? Apparently there is a Upnp plugin for dreambox and though that it can talk to a Townky server. So you can definitely stream audio to the dreambox. What I dont know is if you can stream video. Has anyone tried it?

Generally I am looking for a media server that can stream to the DM, either through upnp or VLC or anything! I thought about building a mini-itx server with linux OS and VLS running but maybe there could be something else "prebuild" out there than does the job, which is how I came across Twonky enabled media servers.

Thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Why not download the 30-day trial and see if it works?

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Cause I am at work!!

I will be though as soon as I get home.. In the meantime though I thought strange that noone ever posted anything about twonky so I thought I'd post in case its a non starter.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
_http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3584

_http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Manuals/TwonkyMediaInstallationGuide4.3.zip

_http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/4.4/twonkymedia-dm-7020.zip

should help :)

There's a free alternative here : _http://tversity.com/support/devices/

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've just installed and tested TVersity and it streamed a DVD to my Dreambox (before it crashed).

Briefly, this is what I did:

I installed TVersity on my PC and configured as per _http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/how-to/how-to-stream-any-type-of-video-to-your-playstation-3-046182

I added a media folder to TVersity shared library.

I turned on upnp on my Dreambox. I used File Mode to browse to /media/upnp and browsed to my PC. Selected a file and played it.

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Would it play DivX's?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes. I tested it with .mp3, .vob and a divx (.avi) file.

It was a quick n dirty test to see if it worked.

A powerful PC and the quality of transcoding will determine how reliable it is.

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Fantastic!

I'll be testing it more extensively in the next couple of days. I think I am gonna concentrate on Twonky cause you can get it to run on linux and it also comes enbedded in NAS devices.

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Ok started testing with TVersity.
Initially, although the .avi files would appear on the Upnp mount, when telnetting to the DB, throught the GUI,(filesystem->root->/media/Upnp/etcetc) no avi files were shown. I could see Mpeg files and MP3 but not avi.

So, I edited the profiles.xml file and created a dreambox profile. I set it to transcode everything to mpeg2 and added the IP of the dreambox to force the media server to recognise the db and place it within that profile.

Then... Magic! The *avi files on the dreambox Upnp mount dissapeared and in their place I got corresponding *mpg files... so the media server automatically transcoded them to dvd's which DB can play.
It kinda works ok but as you said it depends on how fast your PC is. I need to play with the bitrates tomorrow and see if I can get improvements. The quality is actually fine.. its the fastforward/rewind thats flaky and I need to improve.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
fastforward/rewind probably won't work as the file is transcoded; you're asking the server to work out where it is in the original file, move back/ forwards and start transcoding again.

Not sure why you used telnet- using the File Browser in the Dreambox OSD gets them no problem (I set my encoding to be mpeg2).