Tying players to long contracts amounts to "modern slavery"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is a quote from Sepp Blatter when discussing the Ronaldo situation.

In an exclusive interview with Sky News, the Fifa president Sepp Blatter said the current post-Bosman practice of tying players to long contracts amounts to "modern slavery".

And he is urging Manchester United and Real Madrid "to sit together" if Ronaldo wants a move to the Spanish club.

"If the player wants to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found," said Mr Blatter.

"Because if he stays in a club where he does not feel comfortable to play then it's no good for the player and for the club.

"I'm always in favour to protect the player and if the player wants to leave, let him leave."

MORE

One questions whether my Blatter would have a similar opinion if the controversy was based on Ronaldo leaving a European mainland club to move to the Premiership.

Modern Slavery, Mr Blatter seems to have a knack of talking out his rear orifice, how can anyone equate a football player under contract and earning a basic wage of £100,000 per week with the term slavery? :-rofl2

Also, Ronaldo didn't look too unhappy earlier in the year when he held the Champions League cup and the Premiership trophy, but perhaps he was being a brave boy and concealing his sadness. ;)

The fact is that he is a big boy now and has signed a contract, which on its own would make him fairly wealthy, but when added to his other sponsorship deals, means that even if he stopped playing now, he would never have to work again, not a lot of sympathy here I'm afraid.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Modern Slavery, Mr Blatter seems to have a knack of talking out his rear orifice, how can anyone equate a football player under contract and earning a basic wage of £100,000 per week with the term slavery? :-rofl2

On Sky News this morning they claimed he was earning £120,000 per week. I agree Mr Blatter has a reputation for talking from there how can an educated person possibly make that kind of comparison.
Ronaldo is neither poor, nor is he forced to work 16 hours a day 365 days per year in appalling conditions with no holidays, he is neither beaten nor starved to death. He actually has the life of Reilly at the expense of the poor fans paying ridiculous seat prices and following the team around Europe at their own expense.

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
Like most people in power,they've simply lost touch with reality

kreacher

Waiting for HD
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky - Humax STB
My Location
India
rolfw said:
One questions whether my Blatter would have a similar opinion if the controversy was based on Ronaldo leaving a European mainland club to move to the Premiership.

I read this in the papers today and I was really surprised. I would guess that its none of his business.
I've also noticed a anti-premier league (and FA) stance among the FIFA officials, what's up with that?