UK receiver and euro tv set:uhf output has no sound

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Satellite receiver volume turned down ?
TV volume turned down ?
Hearing aid is faulty ?
Youre in the next room ?
Youre outside the house ?

Without names and models this is not going to be easy

Try a SCART connector for starters

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I smell a PAL I/G problem here....Can you choose between the two on the channet setup?

Rolf

I agree Rolf.
Definetly the difference between PAL I & PAL G.
The sound spacing from the picture is different so when you get the picture tuned in the sound is not where it is meant to be!
A scart lead as channel Hopper mentioned will bypass the RF tuners and therefore the problem!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I used to use an old VHS video connected by scart to the pace analogue receiver to distribute the old Sky programmes at my sister's place in France, saved paying out for a modulator.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Assuming its posted in the right place, its a Sky box. The Murdoch spec of these is that there should be no settings (software or hardware) to allow reception via UHF except in the UK

Its a hardware fault - either a break on the motherboard to the modulator (in which case the SCART will function) or its a fault on the motherboard itself - and the SCART probably wont work either

Process of elimination - a lemon entry as Holmes would say.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Oh I feel such a fool !! Must be losing it.

If its a Euro TV then there is no upgrade, no ferrite adjustment in the receiver, only a crystal change from 5.5MHz to 6MHz in the TV will work (then you lose the Europeant terrestrial and possibly the video playback). SCART is the only option. If the TV hasnt got one then run it through the video as suggested.

The question now is, as European TV is more interesting than Sky, why would anyone want to downgrade ?

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
pj::Bulaggna
I have a perfect picture and sound using the scart in two different rooms:for the bedroom i made a cable 8 meters long..but i have other rooms,the video is never a problem ,but in the basement i had to bring there the sound from the audio output of my drx 100 amstrad to a separate hi-fi,the problem is the terrace on the roofs where i can't have other cables exept the uhf cable.We wanna watch British TV becouse my wife studied english at the university,and maybe becouse we found the neighbor grass greener than our or maybe we don't wanna watch Berlusconi's tvs.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Might be worthwhile investing in a video sender Ugania, then you could pick it up where ever you wanted. The units are fed by scart or RCA plugs so it wouldn't be a problem. Either that or take a feed from the video using a small 2 way setback amplifier, you can then watch video anywhere as well.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

>......,the problem is the terrace on the roofs where i can't
>have other cables exept the uhf cable.

Sorry, if you can have one cable, you can have two.

For over a year, my SKY cable ran along Ben Becker's terrace (Boris Becker's brother), along his gutter up to the roof. He didn't complain !!! Mind you he was coke'd out a bit too often to notice.

Have Fun,

Mark.

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
pj::Bulaggna
Sorry,everyting is more complicated,I live in a building,where i own the first floor,the basement,the terrace on the roofs,two gardens..but there are moor floors on the building,all the cables are internal...if was possible to do something without causing trouble with the neighbours I could do it ..Usually I can manage in all kind of practical situations..This time a was looking for a simple device who could modulate or translate the sound from pal-i to pal-g,maybe the video sender could be the solution(but if a neighbour has a similar device...could be the risk to tranmit xxx films sometimes?)Very interesting your experience with the Bekker family..any sister around? Thanks UG!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Shouldn't have any problem with the video sender UG. if a neighbour has one on a similar frequency it will affect yours, so you'll know.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

>Sorry,everyting is more complicated ....... all the cables are internal...

A reasonable twist. RolfW said it before, so, the sender seems your most likely route. I just like to run before I can walk :-)

>your experience with the Bekker family..any sister around?

No idea, sorry.

Have Fun,

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont forget that everyone within about 60m or so will be able to see exactly what your viewing preferences are, so I hope you dont live next to a convent, boarding school or police station.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
LOL :-)

I started to do some volt checks late last night (then fell asleep on the coffee table). No, I didn't, but, I did stop to go to bed.

The voltage readings previously quoted made no sense to me at all - shouldn't we be working with pins/numbers not emotional descriptions (learn'd joke).

I haven't finished my homework yet, but ........

Okay, I'll finish my homework before coming back.

By the way, speak pins and volts not what/where/the signal is/or goes !**???

Have Fun,

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Once again Rolfs suggestion of using the modulator of the VCR (if its a Euro model) will solve almost all problems

Conect the receiver via a SCART cable to the VCR input and then select the AV1 (or L1 if its a Sony) and you will get TV with sound in the penthouse suite

No messing round with other devices