me-smith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTE dish (fixed)
FTE 0.3 LNB
Samsung 9400 FTA
My Location
France
I'm in the south of France. I currently use an FTA box for ASTRA 2. Are there receivers capable of getting channels 4 & 5, assuming I have a card from S*y, that are not sourced from S*y? All help appreciated. Is this a grey area legally? I think the S*y stranglehold on hardware is absurd.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - its called a sky digibox! :D :-lmao

If your receiver has CI slots then a dragon cam will give you C4, C5 & Sky3, but a digibox is also required to get the "stay alive" signals required for the cardonce a month or so........

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A dreambox will do it with the current cards, but a sky digibox is the cheaper option..

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
uk: skybox - ntl cable box - manhattan multisat system,90cm dish & fixed 1.8m - ntl b-band - isdn2 (128kb) lines - sipgate voip lines ukraine: internet access, (150kb) - multisat system 1.2m, 1.8 fixed sirius, astra 28.2,hotbird, Eutelsat 16 east
My Location
manchester & ukraine
a dragon cam will not work for BskyB channels, its gone off! this was due to sky taking legal action, also the cam would not turn on cards.

best way is to buy a second hand box of ebay that comes with a card. (freesat card) cost £20 from sky/freesat

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When did it go off, I haven't heard any news to that effect, it would need more than Sky taking legal action, as these are internet available updates to the Dragon.

me-smith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTE dish (fixed)
FTE 0.3 LNB
Samsung 9400 FTA
My Location
France
Will the Dreambox keep the card alive? I find most S*y type boxes to be too structured and lacking in the ability to organize things the way I want. Just too restrictive. Also, on a moral/legal level Channels 4 & 5 should NOT be encrypted. They are readily available to millions without encryption and I just don't see the point.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
me-smith said:
Will the Dreambox keep the card alive? I find most S*y type boxes to be too structured and lacking in the ability to organize things the way I want. Just too restrictive. Also, on a moral/legal level Channels 4 & 5 should NOT be encrypted. They are readily available to millions without encryption and I just don't see the point.

User reports here on the forum suggest DB do not pass the stay alive signals along to the card.

C4 & C5 have long term encryption contracts in place. C4 will probably go fta in 2008 when these expire. C5 likely to stay encoded - ISTR they are on record somewhere as not being particularly interested in fta.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think you'll find that the dreambox does pass the stay alive code with certain EMUs, couple of threads in the DB section discussing this.

As for the moral/legal argument about the c4/c5 encryption, they are available free to anyone in the UK with an analogue set or Freeview box (subject to coverage. For those without coverage (very few with none at all), they can get a feesat card for a one of £20. There is in my opinion, no moral or legal argument why they should be received in France or Europe FTA.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
dreambox has no trouble whatsoever to pass the updates to the card, keeping them alive. In fact, my dreambox is updating 2 Sky cards, one Irish Family Pack and one UK FTV card.
it's just the card activation that's impossible on a dreambox.
also : there's talk of a card swap at Sky, so things might change in the (near) future !

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok - I stand corrected on my previous comment. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Analoguesat said:
Ok - I stand corrected on my previous comment. :)

And so you should, can't have inaccuracy here, that's my job. ;) :-lmao:-rofl2

me-smith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTE dish (fixed)
FTE 0.3 LNB
Samsung 9400 FTA
My Location
France
Okay, forget morals and legalities. At the end of the day advertsing makes all the content possible. Advertisers don't want to be "protected" by encryption. Therefore, it's just a matter of time. They want their message viewed by as many as possible, and several million Brits living within the ASTRA 2 footprint spend lots of money in the UK. It will happen as soon as possible.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't disagree with that. ;)

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
uk: skybox - ntl cable box - manhattan multisat system,90cm dish & fixed 1.8m - ntl b-band - isdn2 (128kb) lines - sipgate voip lines ukraine: internet access, (150kb) - multisat system 1.2m, 1.8 fixed sirius, astra 28.2,hotbird, Eutelsat 16 east
My Location
manchester & ukraine
can anyone tell me if the dragon cam is back on working?
my understanding is that it has gone off.
has anyone got one that is working on BskyB

update: yes its back working feb06

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Although I don't use one, have just checked and still working with version 3.30. As far as I know nothing has changed.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Does anyone know if the Dragon CAM also passes on the keep-alive signal? Also, is it true that with a DreamBox you don't need the Dragon at all (it sort of has one built in already)?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, the Dragon CAM does not pass on the stay alive signal I'm afraid, as per the posts above.

The Dreambox is a Linix based receiver and has the ability to upload a variety softcams, so you are correct in saying that you do not need a Dragon CAM with it. :)

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
rolfw said:
No, the Dragon CAM does not pass on the stay alive signal I'm afraid, as per the posts above.

Are you sure about that M8? I am using my subscription card in a dragon cam on Humax since begining of dec 2005 and i only had to use the registered skybox only once back in jan to get the update...the card hasn't gone off since then!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Always open to new information, have you changed the Dragon software since the last time you needed to update?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
rolfw said:
Always open to new information, have you changed the Dragon software since the last time you needed to update?

Yes M8...I believe i did...I am running Predator 3.25 at the moment because i couldnt get my card to work on the latest verison...so i reverted back to 3.25.
I have had similar fed back from other users also that Predator 3.32 had problems with NDS..since i only use it for my skycard & not bothered by 3.32's other abilities i am happy to use 3.25..