UK government policy statement on DTV for 'e-government'

N

net1

The UK government has released a new policy document detailing how it would like to see digital television - including Freeview - being used for so-called 'e-government' services. The government has undertaken to (a) work with broadcasters, programme makers and Internet Service Providers to integrate links to e-government services with relevant programme content; and (:cool: to develop its DTV presence, with 'UK online interactive' as the primary route to market for government and other public sector services on DTV.

One implication of the document is that the current 'UK online interactive service' should eventually be available via digital terrestrial television - i.e. the Freeview platform. Currently, it is only available on the BSkyB satellite platform.

One of the problems with this ambition, is that the services available on the terrestrial platform would have to be restricted to an information-only model, since the vast majority of UK DTT receivers do not have a return-path. It would not, for instance, be possible to carry out such tasks as paying council tax or applying for child benefit.

povah

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
blackpool lancashire
net1 said:
One implication of the document is that the current 'UK online interactive service' should eventually be available via digital terrestrial television - i.e. the Freeview platform. Currently, it is only available on the BSkyB satellite platform.

One of the problems with this ambition, is that the services available on the terrestrial platform would have to be restricted to an information-only model, since the vast majority of UK DTT receivers do not have a return-path. It would not, for instance, be possible to carry out such tasks as paying council tax or applying for child benefit.

the only way to create a 2 way system is to get OFCOM to force manufacturers to produce FREEVIEW adapters that have built-in modems and maybe a cam slot so that it can opperate sub-channels. O-no