UK TV in Norway - please help!!

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
looking for new setup abroad
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
Hello there

first, I am a girl and am pretty clueless as far as this stuff is concerned.

however, am moving to Kleppe near Stavanger in Norway in the new year and am trying to find out what I need to get English TV there.

It seems possible reading bits and bobs but can anyone tell me, in idiot speech, what dish, size, box, card, coordinates and whatever else I need??!!

Thank you all very much!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Kirsten

lucky you going to Norway eh, well you will need an above average dish I'm afraid, but does alter depending on exactly where in Norway. Go to _http://www.astra2d.com/norway.htm a registered report on the Astra 2D website. Looking at that it would appear to be a minimum requirement of 1.5mtr

A freesat box would be all you need or are you wanting to receive HD out there?

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
thanks for the info

HD does not matter, just want to be able to watch decent (as in reception quality!) UK telly. I currently have a freeview box but also have an old Sky box from years back (2002), no card. Have tried it at a friends house and it still works for the free channels. What is a freesat box? Can I use either of the ones I've got?

sorry if I haven't got a clue!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, an old Sky digital box should work. Ideally check it does on an already installed dish in the UK, to make sure it is still functioning.

More info on Freesat here:-

_http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Argos for example sell the receivers.

No, a Freeview box won't work, Freeview is for Digital Terrestrial Television, through an aerial.

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
thanks again.

have tried the sky box - works fine at a friends house. Do I need a card of some sort to get certain channels, like channel 5 etc. I don't want to subscribe to anything...just want to get the 'freeview' channels I get now, if you know what I mean.

Reading all this I will buy the dish here (much cheaper) - any tips which one?? And where to get a good price? I think I better get some satellite 'man' to come and put it up in Norway.....they will know where to point the thing, won't they? Other than that where can I find out how to do that?

Many thanks again!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Without a card there's no channel 104 or 105 on the channel listing on the digibox. Therefore you won't be getting Channel 4 or Five. Both of these are now available on the Freesat platform without a card and you can tune into C4 (and possibly Five) in the "other channels" section.

If your friend has a digibox with a card then you can use this to "set" 104 and 105. You can then watch C4, but not Five currently, wihout a card. You could always get a card yourself of course.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Apparently, you can shove any card, such as a business card or Supermarket loyalty card in the slot, and ch4 and ch5 will appear in the epg. Both also viewable using 'Other Channels'. Ch4 can be watched using the epg.

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
It's probably worth having a read of the Astra 2D forums. There is a lot of worthwhile first-hand experience there that can help you avoid making expensive mistakes. It's worth investing in a decent dish first time, otherwise you'll only have to buy it again in a year or two when you get strong winds.

satkingno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo2, Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ SoloSE, Wavefrontier T90 1W-5E-9E-10E-13E-16E-19E-23.5E, Channel Master 1.2m 28.2E 4xEMP Centauri 9/1, 8x Inverto Black Ultra Quad
My Location
Norway
In Stavanger you can pick up 2D with a 90 cm dish, no problem.
It's the best place in Norway for that transponder.

Regards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There you go, no need to look elsewhere all the information is either here in this section (a search for Norway will produce lots of results), or we have members who can offer information based on personal experience. :)

Apparently from looking at a couple of other threads, the Humax Freesat HD box is great for fringe reception and according to a couple of our members, outperforms any of the existing Sky digiboxes.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Robbo said:
Apparently, you can shove any card, such as a business card or Supermarket loyalty card in the slot, and ch4 and ch5 will appear in the epg. Both also viewable using 'Other Channels'. Ch4 can be watched using the epg.

Any card will do this- debit, driving licence or loyalty card.
worked with a Boots card and a Halifax debit card.
Just leave in slot then re- insert to load C4 Five group of channels and C4+1.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Kirsten,

I used to live in Oslo Norway (5 years) and to be honest, you don't need a specific sat dish to get English language programming. Every single program shown on terrestrial digital TV is in its original language and I'd say 90% of these are UK or US programs which are subtitled.

If you have cable it's all going to be english anyway with subtitles (BBC Prime included)...

//F

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Kirsten said:
thanks again.

have tried the sky box - works fine at a friends house. Do I need a card of some sort to get certain channels, like channel 5 etc. I don't want to subscribe to anything...just want to get the 'freeview' channels I get now, if you know what I mean.

Reading all this I will buy the dish here (much cheaper) - any tips which one?? And where to get a good price? I think I better get some satellite 'man' to come and put it up in Norway.....they will know where to point the thing, won't they? Other than that where can I find out how to do that?

Many thanks again!!

I wouldn't buy a dish in the UK and take it to Norway because of the transportation issues, unless you are going to use your car and put it in the boot.
It is just not worth it. You might end up losing part of your luggage as you would need four hands, or worse get the dish surface dented which can impair the reception.
You can order it in the UK and ask for it to be shipped to Norway.

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
satkingno said:
In Stavanger you can pick up 2D with a 90 cm dish, no problem.
It's the best place in Norway for that transponder.

Regards

Hi there

thank's for your reply. May I ask how you know this, i.e. if you are sure. Of course a smaller dish would be cheaper and easier but I don't want to buy one to find out it does not work. Would you let me know please?! Thanks

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
Cupart said:
Hi Kirsten,

I used to live in Oslo Norway (5 years) and to be honest, you don't need a specific sat dish to get English language programming. Every single program shown on terrestrial digital TV is in its original language and I'd say 90% of these are UK or US programs which are subtitled.

If you have cable it's all going to be english anyway with subtitles (BBC Prime included)...

//F

Hi there

having two small kids I am especially interested in recieving the kiddies programmes. I take it these will be in Norwegian as the kids don't speak English yet?! Therefore do need Cbeebies etc!! What would you say?

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
HB13DISH said:
I wouldn't buy a dish in the UK and take it to Norway because of the transportation issues, unless you are going to use your car and put it in the boot.
It is just not worth it. You might end up losing part of your luggage as you would need four hands, or worse get the dish surface dented which can impair the reception.
You can order it in the UK and ask for it to be shipped to Norway.

Hello

big truck is taking all our stuff and it's all insured so no probs there! But thanks for the deep thinking anyway!!! lol

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kirsten said:
Hi there

having two small kids I am especially interested in recieving the kiddies programmes. I take it these will be in Norwegian as the kids don't speak English yet?! Therefore do need Cbeebies etc!! What would you say?

Yeah, you're right that the kiddies programs (including Disney shows) will most likely be dubbed into Norwegian, BUT that said, this is perfect opportunity for your kids to learn Norwegian... (Sorry don't mean to tell you what's right or wrong in bringing up your kids)

Anyhow, Check out Lyngsat _http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigital.html for languages available (E=English, D=Danish, S=Swedish, N=Norwegian etc) and it will give you a good indication on what is available legally in Norway on 1W. Besides boxes are subsidised if you take out a subscription...

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
Cupart said:
Yeah, you're right that the kiddies programs (including Disney shows) will most likely be dubbed into Norwegian, BUT that said, this is perfect opportunity for your kids to learn Norwegian... (Sorry don't mean to tell you what's right or wrong in bringing up your kids)

Anyhow, Check out Lyngsat _http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigital.html for languages available (E=English, D=Danish, S=Swedish, N=Norwegian etc) and it will give you a good indication on what is available legally in Norway on 1W. Besides boxes are subsidised if you take out a subscription...

No offence taken. They will learn Norwegian in school but until they can understand a bit, I think to have some UK telly would be good. Anyway, what has come out of this is that there is some English telly already available - which is good. Have no idea if the house has got cable by the way - will have to ask the landlord! Bye

satkingno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo2, Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ SoloSE, Wavefrontier T90 1W-5E-9E-10E-13E-16E-19E-23.5E, Channel Master 1.2m 28.2E 4xEMP Centauri 9/1, 8x Inverto Black Ultra Quad
My Location
Norway
Kirsten said:
Hi there

thank's for your reply. May I ask how you know this, i.e. if you are sure. Of course a smaller dish would be cheaper and easier but I don't want to buy one to find out it does not work. Would you let me know please?! Thanks

Hi Kirsten!

Yes, I am sure.

I don't live there, but I have friends who has been living there.
And there's a lot of talk of the 2D transponder on the Norwegian sat forums as well.

The coast of Stavanger - Bergen is about the only place in Norway you can get 2D with a normal sized antenna. If you look at the footprint you will se why:

_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

You don't need to go very far to get significantly weaker reception...where I live I will probably need an 1.8 m dish to get 24/7 reception....and that's only a 6 hour drive to the northeast.

If you want 2D in Stavanger, I would not go below 90 cm though. For the other transponders you could get away with a smaller antenna.

Best Regards

Kirsten

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway (from Jan 09)
Many thanks to all of you! My husband is extremely impressed with my knowledge of satellite systems...I will tell him eventually about this site and you shall get full credit !!

Two more questions if I may:

1) Is there a freesat HD box out there that can pause live telly and record stuff (like the sky+) that would work in Norway and does not need a subscription or a phone line?

2) If not, would it be possible to use our old sky box and then connect our freeview box to that somehow, to pause and record stuff (am I making sense?)?

Thanks for all your efforts in educating me!!