Unification Theory

orphidian

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
One of the biggest quest at present is the quest for the Unification Theory. For the uninitiated, this is the theory that ties together the General Theory of relativity, and Chaos Theory. The former holds true for large bodies but not at the quantum level, whereas the latter holds true at the quantum level but not at the large bodies level.

The latest unification theory being worked actively is String Theory, but I can't help but think that this concept is too complex to be related to nature, which after all is what we are studying!!!! I have a theory that I have not published, or indeed spoken to anyone about, as I do not have any contact with the field of physics, but here goes.

I believe that the mass of an object effects the speed that time travels in its location. There it is, out in the open!!!! Let me explain in simple terms. If you were to view the entire history of our galaxy from start to now in a second the viewer would witness something that looked chaotic, whereas if you looked at the destruction of atoms in the study of quarks where the entire process was slowed down to the extent that it took the lifetime to date of our universe to complete, then it would look neutonian. In this case both Theories would be correct dependent on the relationship between your mass and the mass of the object being viewed.

The thing that started me thinking along these lines was a Terry Pratchet Discworld novel. In the story mountains were alive but they moved so slowly that humans believed them to be inanimate. From the Mountains perspective, humans were just a brief annoyance, chaotic.

Any of you guys want to talk to a madman!!!:D

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Where all mad here...Read some of my old posts in this section.

There was a theory put forward some years ago that was similar to yours called the “ local time theory “.

This was based on the old spinning record trick, a clock was proved to speed up time when placed on the outside of a spinning record, but a clock placed nearer the middle moved slower. By using an atomic clock they where able to detect a slight difference between both clocks.

Someone then said ( many years later ) that they thought the time difference was caused, not by the outside clock moving faster than the inside one, but that it weighed more, as the outside was subject to greater centrifugal force, and maybe this was the cause of the time difference.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Hmmmmm! what bothers me is that space goes on forever!......How? Anyone got a theory for that one?

orphidian

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Not a chance!!.... There are those that believe space to fold back on itself and therefore form an endless loop, but what is outside that loop? As for thinking in more than 4 dimensions, my tiny brain has yet to come to terms with the idea!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
How come time always goes a lot faster once the 22.50 bell has rung ?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Yes hopper and how come time goes faster after I have turned my alarm clock off....and the repeater goes off every minute instead of ten!

orphidian

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Maybe you guys are on to something. Maybe time is in relation to how happy you are. The more you enjoy yourself, the quicker time passes. God is a sick Ba****d!!!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Don't forget that the older you get the quicker time passes as well.

Stop! I want to get off and catch the one coming along later.

PaulR

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Youre only as young as the women you feel.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Funny thing age and time passing....the other day the wife was standing looking at herself in the mirror, she say's to me ''Look at me i'm gettin old, fat an ugly!.....pay me some kind of compliment?'' I replied ''Yer eyesights spot on!''

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Bet she made you walk the plank for that one ?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Razor said:
Bet she made you walk the plank for that one ?

I think the term ‘Keel hauled’ would be me appropriate razor!....She doesn’t threaten me with the Cat of Nine Tails anymore....as she knows I enjoy being tied up and whipped!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
waverider said:
as she knows I enjoy being tied up and whipped!

This String Theory does get around doesnt it !

orphidian

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Channel Hopper said:
This String Theory does get around doesnt it !
"Life without string is chaos" -Muntz. So you see, there you have it!! String Theory and Chaos Theory all rolled into one.;)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
The difference in elapsed time between the inner and outer sections of a spinning disc is due to velocity and not to mass. Einstein's theory of Special Relativity showed that time passes more slowly for a moving object. The twins paradox illustrates this. The General Theory of Relativity explained gravity by the curvature of spacetime. The Grand Unification Theory, which Albert spent the last part of his life trying to establish, would explain the relationship between the Stong Nuclear Force, the Weak Nuclear Force, the Electromagneic Force and the Force of Gravity. Physicists now mostly accept that the first three were unified just after the Big Bang and became separate entities only as the Universe cooled; it's the link with gravity which poses the problem. Gravity is a very weak force and noticeable only on a large (ie human and upwards) scale. The Strong and Weak Nuclear forces are much stronger, but operate at a sub-atomic level. Electromagnetic effects are detectable from the subatomic level to the cosmic scale. It's not the Chaos Theory which is incompatible with Relativity, Orphidian, it's Quantum Mechanics. If you want a readable account of how String (more lately M brane Theory) might offer us the Theory of Everything, try Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' - recently serialised on tv (Channel 4, if I remember correctly) as 'The Theory of Everything'. John Gribbin and Stephen Hawking have also written some good popular stuff on this area. You'll find that reading up on black holes will help your understanding of the relationship between gravity, the speed of light and time.

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi orphidian

You should not let it worry you as according to Agnes Nutter - the "worlds" only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on saturday. Next saturday, in fact, just after tea. But don't tell everybody!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
gotmybuspass said:
Hi orphidian

You should not let it worry you as according to Agnes Nutter - the "worlds" only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on saturday. Next saturday, in fact, just after tea. But don't tell everybody!
I think Ill be in an Irish pub around that time , on my fifth Guinness

Thanks for the warning, Ill put an additional order in at the bar.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
And in front of the biggest log fire you ever saw, in summer when not in use, people sit in it, when a full house.

G

GotMyBusPass

Well obviously Terry Pratchet writing on behalf of "Agnes Nutter" resident of "Discworld" is not the totally reliable guide to the future.

Looks like I will have to start learning about "chaos" & string theory" , or perhaps not!

gmbp:-righton40p bus rides

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Scientific American has this month got five page article on the bringing together of small and large universe theories, apparently its awaiting some definitive results from a satellite due for launch in three years time, but there is a good chance we all live in a digital universe