Unix Editor for Dreambox Files

evolver247

Reaction score
I have read in a few read me files from Software Cams that I have downloaded that Dreambox Files will sometimes have to be renamed and exported by a FTP Program in a Windows OS Enviroment will corrupt and will not work on the Dreambox Image.The readme files advise to use a Unix Editing Program.

Well what I would like to know, is this totally correct and if so would a freeware program called Linspect Editor be Okay!!

What the program does:

It allows you to open files from remote Linux or Unix servers over an SSH-secured connection, change/update the files and write it back to the server. Linspect Editor is a must for system administrators and programmers who often need to edit server-side configuration files, system scripts, batch files, source code, CGI scripts and common text files residing on remote Linux/Unix Systems.

Being a Newbee I am finding the Dreambox learning curve to be a mind field. What I know about software, I could write on the back of a matchbox.

If anyone could advise please,thanks!

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
A windows editor could easily mess the file up, from a linux perspective....ie, it could fill it with carriage returns which look like ^M at the end of each line. so, instead of , say for example, a line of the file looking like.....

This is a line in the file

..it will look like....

This is a line in the file^M

..when a linux system looks at it. An very easy way around thus is to not care about it at all, and then just use the dos2unix command when logged into the dreambox. Any image worth its salt should have this command IMHO. So, do what you wish with the file, and then just type

>dos2unix <filename>

..when logged into the DB.

You can look at the file before and after too insure it worked :-)

... if your image does not have the dos2unix command then you will need something like cgywin

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
...another point m8...

you can actually edit/move/rename files once you are logged into the DB via, say, telnet.

ie, you dont really have to use window$ for this. But, unless you know a bit of UNIX/Linux its a bit tricky.......

I can help you out with some basic commands if you like..

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
This is why you should always use the command 'bin' (short for binary) in ftp before before using it to transfer files. If left in 'asc' (short for ASCII) mode it will convert files as it transfers them. You may need to do this for each ftp session, unless you are using one of the super-ftp programs like wsftp that remembers the settings.

HTH

evolver247

Reaction score
Thanks for the Information, I have download WS_FTP Lite to use for the file transfer process as It will automatically detect the settings needed for the File.

Thankyou all for the Information.