Unlucky

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Hl boys, Been having a bad couple of weeks. 2 satudays ago
Dish stopped spining, I borrowed a spare actuator off a mate
and found mine was faulty.My actuator Being 2 months old (costing £85 ) i returned it only to be given a read switch by retailer, (which I had to solder in)Good custemer service. Soldered
it in all OK. Turned receiver back on, Card wont inistialize, Took Freecam (4 months old £185) back to same retailer (to see whats wrong)over a week ago, now been informed Flash mempry has gone (where i dont know its tight in my reciever so hows it escaped) (and its gonna cost me about £50 but thats a guess, )any 1 know my legal standing (or should i just ramraid his shopfront, grab all his receivers (prob all breakdown anyway) or put it down to a learning curve and avoid retailer. DAVE

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you're having a bit of a time Dave, trouble with those flash chips, their a little shifty. ;)

I would have thought that the CAM should be covered by the sale of goods act, they will probably try and tell you that you must have damaged it trying to flash it, but in real terms I would think that they owe you a free replacement.

Rolf

PS. Hope your week gets better.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Yep........you're quite Rolf. If the cam was sold as flashable (is that a new word?) then it has to be fit for that purpose and for a reasonable length of time....at least a year. They would have had to issue a written warning, like "don't flash this cam" to be able to get away without replacing it for nothing. Hope this helps Dave. Mind you the ramraid would be more fun...LOL

Jimbo

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
I never tried to Flash it, it Went down with the Actuator, Dont know the reason why (STILL WORRIED THAT WHEN I SHUV THE REPAIRED CAM IN ME RECIEVER) it might go again.
Can:t figure the link between cam and actuator, unless the receiver is f*cked. DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What receiver is it ?

If both the reed switch and the CAM have gone at the same time it could be a surge from trhe electricity supply into the house

You oughtto fit a simple power surge socket on the wall to stop this from happening in the future.

Worst possible case would be a faulty power supply in the receiver which is going to be difficult to prove

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I'd go for the ramraid - and naming / shaming the retailer, if that's allowed.

pixey

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Always a bit difficult with the naming and shaming, if this route is taken we really need to give the retailer the right to reply as well and then it just becomes a your word against his argument.

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
As to GRASSHOPPERS question its a Strong 4375. And for nameing / shameing I'd have to know what the fault is,
ie: actuator /Cam were purchased from retailer, Receiver was purchased elsewhere, and because i dont know what caused
(or even still) the faults to occur i wont slag em off. I have surge protection on the TV /HiFi setup already.
Unlucky : two years ago house got hit by lightning fried everything pluged into the mains .So i learnd my lesson,protected
even earths/neutrals.(Also removed 16ft mast off chimney as was trying to get HTV, from manchester,) Neighbours ALSO lost a lot as well, to say i was popular was a understatment,

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If its surge protected then you are down to two opinions

1) Both reed switch and CAM have been damaged by receiver
2) Lightning or surge from another input of the system has caused the damage

Not easy to locate and even harder to find an absolute solution

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Well it looks like i'm gonna need a new reciever.(Dry nightwhen it went down. )
Is it russian roulette (to test reciever) or is there another way.
I've re-tuned reciever, reprogged,watch all FTA, channels.
Got a conax cam (but thats about as much use as a glass hammer) as its not recognised anyway. so when repaired
(which i'm promised friday NOW), if i shuv it back in, is it gonna be fried again. DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Unsure on this one

I have some background with Strong, some of it good, some not so. The 4375 has its own forum somewhere else as I remember you saying once before. Anyone there with any similar troubles?
(by the way I never did get any reply on the SCSI drives, so I suppose the receiver here though non functioning is with a PSU thats seen less action than most)

The dealer - will he supply another power supply board ?

Are you willing to buy it from him ?

If so will the price of purchase be cheaper than the cost of replacing another CAM and reed switch, assuming the next time the damage is only limited to the same ?