Unpaid Sky Box Office

SATNEWB123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital 2 FTA
My Location
HULL
Hi
Can sky do this they have just taken £40 out of my account without telling me for box office movies/events from years ago?
Don’t they take payments strait away?
They said it was because my box was not connected I have never unplugged the phone line.
I have just had my box replaced would the new box have anything to do with it.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It may well have been that the modem on your old box was not working properly and only when connecting a box with a working modem did they receive details of any box office viewings.

They have had problems with people using either the 9v battery or additional number in the dialing settings to order box office events and not pay for them, so I guess that they take the money automatically and worry about complaints afterwards.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
there are rules about direct debits and being told a set number of days in advance.

You should contact your bank - who may deal with it on your behalf if SKY has acted outside of the DD rules

z

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are some rules for direct debits.
Q. What is the Direct Debit Guarantee?

A. This Guarantee is operated by all banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.

If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, the organisation will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.

If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society. Please also send a copy of your letter to the organisation.

I can't find my Sky contract though and it may be (and probably will be) that the DD instruction covers a variable amount for PPV purposes.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Or.... maybe you watched the box office with yer 9v batt' hack and SLY have just taken what they're owed?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Yea... dont break the law you bad man...

if you want free films download them off the net instead :D

SATNEWB123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital 2 FTA
My Location
HULL
Hi
Like I said above my phone line was connected all the time.
I guess it could have been a lot worst I could have ordered a lot more and ended up with hundreds been taken and going into the red and getting fined because of a faulty box.

Is there a limit on box office events I can get without it connecting to sky?

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, it's about £40, the credit limit on the card stops at around that.

SATNEWB123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital 2 FTA
My Location
HULL
Thanks at least i am not going to get a silly bill if it happens again