BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi peeps,

Wonder if any of you have any knowledge of the SS2-USB version.

Have just switched from the PCI version, only to find that when applying the diseqc 1.2 plugin, that there is no skyNET.sys file in windows\system32\drivers!

Instead there is skyNETU.sys, but this is not the same, at 479KB as opposed to the 429KB of the original skyNET.sys and diseqc-updated skyNET.sys files.

Please help me out before I have a major toy-throwing tantrum. Too late, there goes teddy....
rolleyes.gif

topic102

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry , I have no answer for you. I would like also invest 2x money to USB
compared to PCI version of SkyStar2. But, I can not find any info about
diferences between them.
I want to be sure that USB version is compatible with SW (AltDV:cool: and HW used
with PCI version. Including decoding capabilities and interfaces ...(Phoenix/Smartmouse... - card readers...)
I would appreciate if you can confirm that.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks, I already have my answer.

There is no option to address the diseqc motor from the SSUSB.
The only way I came up with was to use one of those mickey mouse inline diseqc gadgets to drive the motor to one of four fixed sat locations.

Didn't fancy losing half my signal in the process though.

Since then I've come up with a far better way of driving my dish over an HTTP link...;)

Had to buy a Dreambox to do it though...O-Ha O-Ha O-Ha

I cannot guarantee that the SSUSB is compatible with anything, but I have had it working with MyTheatre V2.76, and ProgDVB V.latest.

S*ftcams work, and I can decrypt everything that I could on my PCI version.

As it does not drive my motor directly, it has been consigned to the growing pile of junk in the corner of Command-Central.

The only advantages I can see over the PCI version are that the heat generated goes straight to the upper atmosphere without toasting my graphics card, and of course, you can use it with a laptop...:D

I assume that your card programmers are for use with something else, as they are of no use with the SSUSB?

I don't use AltDVB.

Stick.

topic102

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for useful info. Great idea to navigate motor though html link and DreamBox. Fortunately, I have bought dm7000 month ago
icon7.gif
I am pleased to see ss2usb works correctly when compared to PCI version. My question about alt-dvb was only because I noticed that alt-dvb is probably most popular dvb-viewer. About card-readers... PCI version can access thorugh serial port so-called Phoenix interface -> enables access Crypt*works original smartcards. Maybe ss2usb can do the same ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
topic102 said:
...About card-readers... PCI version can access thorugh serial port so-called Phoenix interface -> enables access Crypt*works original smartcards. Maybe ss2usb can do the same ?
Oooh Err, I didn't know that. Don't see why the USB version would be any different in that case, as the different driver should have no bearing...

The drivers are virtually identical, about 80 bytes are different if I remember correctly from my comparison.