updating procedures for fs4200: Found

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Ello
Ive looked at the manual for this procedure, but all its got is a picture of the tv, with the upgrade by rs232 picture on it:confused tells me alot.
Ive download software for the reciever from fortec and have a null modem cable on the way.I would seem to me that the reciever has to be upgraded with the tv on? which i thought alittle strange.
Has anyone attempted to upgrade this reciever before, and could give me advice;)

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Perhaps this info might help with a repy:confused

When i go the menu screen i pick tools and i have "upgrade by rs232" i click on that and i have a choice of the following.
allmode
maincode
radioback
key
bootback
aes
default db
user db
:-doh!

The software downloaded from fortec is an "abs" file
the loader has 3 files, "LZMA, setting, upgrade
and the download instructions are for a mercury and others not the fs4200, so im not sure wether im coming or going here. surely someone must of upgrade this reciever at some time:eek: or point me into the right direction;)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I have just done a search, using google, and located fortecstar.com.
If you go to their home page and click on the downloads tab you will see a warning from the manufacturer regarding upgrading.
If you wish to take the chance and upgrade yourself, which generally isn't that difficult, first click on the Instructions for Downloading link.
This will give you a pdf document with instructions for upgrading different types of fortecstar receivers.
Next click on the drop down box and select 4200 Satellite Receiver, this will provide you with the Upgrade tool and latest firmware.
If you are still unsure how to proceed try using the Contact Us tab which will provide an email address for fortecstar technical support, or you can try the telephone numbers and addresses where you might get more help.
Please keep us informed with your progress.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Mickha said:
I have just done a search, using google, and located fortecstar.com.
If you go to their home page and click on the downloads tab you will see a warning from the manufacturer regarding upgrading.
If you wish to take the chance and upgrade yourself, which generally isn't that difficult, first click on the Instructions for Downloading link.
This will give you a pdf document with instructions for upgrading different types of fortecstar receivers.
Next click on the drop down box and select 4200 Satellite Receiver, this will provide you with the Upgrade tool and latest firmware.
If you are still unsure how to proceed try using the Contact Us tab which will provide an email address for fortecstar technical support, or you can try the telephone numbers and addresses where you might get more help.
Please keep us informed with your progress.

The problem is ive got all that, been there done that bored:-rofl2 the pdf dosnt tell you how to upgrade a fs4200 only others, i did contact the technical department "still no reply, i contacted the uk customer service and they said "why do i want to upgrade" but maplins can do it ,not that i want to deal with them anymore:cool: whats confusing me is its got an uploader ,so why does the menu -tools have a upgrade menu, does it mean the set has to be connected to a tv and on or can it be done with the tv and off:-doh! and what would i set the upgrade menu too? if i used it. I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction;)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Going by updating an old receiver, you connect the receiver to the TV, using a scart lead, to view the upgrade menu.
Connect your receiver to computer using the null modem cable, which is sometimes a problem with newer PC's, and laptops, which no longer have a Com port.
Start the loader on the computer, and follow the on screen instructions, which tells you when to turn on your receiver.
Some instructions required you to do a channel list and settings backup and then factory reset before upgrading the firmware.
If fortecstar will not give you instructions for updating the 4200 firmware they must either be more complex, than the other receivers, had a lot of problems with owners ruining their receivers or just trying to make money for the suppliers.
Are you experiencing problems with the old firmware or do you just want to upgrade?
Which firmware version is currently on your receiver?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I have just downloaded the loader part of the 4200 programmer, which is very strange !!!!!
I don't know why but the intitial loader is for the old K3 card and not the fs4200 receiver.
To start the receivers loader you need to open the Upgrade_1.1.0e folder, and click on the upgrade application.
You then connect your PC to the receiver, click dump, navigate to the new 4200 firmware file, and click next.
If you have already tried this, and run the upgrade application, what do you get at this stage?

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Thanks for your help Mickha , i havnt tried to flash yet as im waiting for my cable to arrive ive had a quick look at the loader but thats about it:)
The software ver installed at the moment is
bootloader v1.0.0
maincode v1.0.0
FS4200 21/12/2007

The software downloaded is dated
loader v101e date 06/07/2008
software date 16/06/2008 "ALi"

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
I actually got a reply from fortec :-rofl2 and here are the downloading procedures forus minority fs4200 and 4100 owners;)

Attachments

• PROCEDURES ON HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE IN FS.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 225

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
portly said:
I actually got a reply from fortec :-rofl2 and here are the downloading procedures forus minority fs4200 and 4100 owners;)

on updating the software i found acouple of oditities, i turned on the reciever and used the uploader to interrigate the reciever via the rs232 port which it did ok, then put the reciever in standby mode "not turned off" as such, wording can be abit confusing:confused Also i found or rather didnt find Eurobird 28.5 in the sat list, this was using the latest update from fortec 16/06/2008 so be warned if you use it , you will have to add it in;)No need for a factory reset either

vileda

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TH42pwd7
Topfield TF5800(Mystuff, ftpd-topfield & Toppyweb on ubuntu)
Fortec Star FS4200
Marrantz sr4500
Wii
My Location
Sunderland - Tyne & Wear
Hi,

I've just picked up an ex demo FS4200 from B&Q for £10 and agree that the manual/documentation is truely appalling. The pic quality even on composite is quite good though.

Do you think that the FW upgrade from 1.0 to 101e is worthwhile and does it improve much?

Thanks.

vileda

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
To be honest "no" i havnt really noticed a difference apart from eurobird missing, but its easy to put right you just add it to the list.Unfortunatly fortec dont tell you what the update is supposed to improve:-worship its strange how the previous software had eurobird in the list :confused i know there is another update from Ali7bar i might give that agoo
Gaz

zeehanoon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star 4100
My Location
pakistan hyderabad
plz help me or guide me what to do ?how to reload the original firmware into my receiver fs-4100 bcoz it does not start now as i loaded wrong firmwar e of fs-4700......plz help

email me : againsttherules@nomail.com

shamsz786

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FORTAC STAR
My Location
UK
how to get hidden menu on fortec star fs4200