upgrade from normal sky to sky+160?

john pick

Reaction score
Is it possible for you just to buy a Sky+ 160 reciever and simply swap it over for your old box??

Or do you need it to be installed by Sky for it to work?

Cheers John.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Fraid not john pick
S*y + uses a different lnb. It is a twin lnb to allow you to record one channel whilst watching another. So you would then have two leads going to your box. Also the box has to be registered with S*y I believe and mated to your card.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
john pick said:
Is it possible for you just to buy a Sky+ 160 reciever and simply swap it over for your old box??

I take it you're abroad - as S*y are doing a cheap deal on the boxes - not worth buying yourself.

If you did buy a + receiver and a dual LNB, fit it, and you have a valid card I see no reason why S*y wouldn't pair it with your new box.

You could then sell your old one.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Not only do you need a dual lnb, but Sky+ won't work without official card registration.

john pick

Reaction score
oh well thats that idea down the pan!
cheers for the info.

your right gameboy im in spain, looks like i'll have to stick to my trusty 100gb archos to do the job!!

got another 1 for you though.............
borrowed a mates digital sat finder (they are great, no messing around with the dish for 3 hours!) and he had loads of other sats programed into it (hotbird e.t.c.) is the anyway I can pick them up????

adios
John

Grayarea

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Newport, Co Mayo
john pick said:

Or do you need it to be installed by Sky for it to work?

Cheers John.

If you have a valid sky sub then you can just buy the box and swap it out with your current one. Once you have done this you call sky and ask for the card to be married to your new box.

The additional stuff you would need to make the recording functionallity work (properly as the box will work with just one feed, but you cannot schedule recording without the second feed) is;

Dual or quad LNB (This can be sourced from the same place you get the box from)
A second cable run.

It is well within the capabilities of your average DIYer.

I did it for my Pace V2 box and have had no problems.