upside down dish?

lasharratt

quiero un whippee
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500CI+, 90cm motorised by an IRTE Omiview motor, freeview.
My Location
Lancashire
I recently went to Spain and spotted several satellite dished (varied from 60cm - 90cm) turned upside down facing the opposite way of all the others. Does anyone know why they are upside down, and which satellites they are aimed at.

Thanks

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You put the upside down often because the mount can't look at very low elevation angles, then you can put the dish upside down instead.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It also gives a lower profile in exposed situations and enables a dish to lie almost parallel with a roof pitch.

J

Jeff_19341

That reason was also given to me Rolfw, when I asked that question, when I used to visit PTT's over on the continent. I think that I might try it one day, it will make a good umbrella if I try to set it up in the rain:-doh! .

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
With an offset dish, you can really install them almost any way round. Quite a few times I have had to fit them on their side, with the bracketry allowing a low profile on a balcony so they are invisible from the neighbours prying eyes.

Upside down dishes do have one disadvantage, the ground noise that bleeds over the side of the dish onto the feed can cause a lower signal to noise ratio, especially in hot weather.

J

Jeff_19341

Hi CH

ref "Upside down dishes do have one disadvantage, the ground noise that bleeds over the side of the dish onto the feed can cause a lower signal to noise ratio, especially in hot weather". Might be similar to the "noise" emmitted by a brick wall that is fully in the sun that a dish is fitted to?
Just thought that I would "experment" a bit. I like the idea of sideways dishes to hide them from neighbous though.

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
temp setup on chair also-see siggy
My Location
UK
Im lol at the though of a sight of tons of buildings with dishes, one of them upside down :p

I really do need a photo :p

would it work in somewhere like UK and astra systems, Im not thinking of setting one up but I dont see how elevation would work :p