BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
How do I know what's stored in the motor, or indeed if I have erased any settings ? In the manual I have a table with numbers 1-26 all with Satellite names at the side. How do these numbers relate to MT/Diseqc Plugin ?

'GOTO satellite position 1' in the plugin takes you to the satellite in table position 1 etc. Read my guide. It's all there, and more.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
BGonaSTICK said:
That's just an example. I don't want to give my exact Long out on the forum :) .

So your Longitude is a minus figure then ?

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
BGonaSTICK said:
Blimey, slow down!! O-Ha

It means you were not close enough to start with. Either adjust manually east/west a few steps or fractions, or maybe your dish elevation is not quite right (or dish too small etc?). If you get close, it will finish the job for you. Mounting pole must be EXACTLY vertical in both planes.

Before I had pressed the "Send and Max Signal" I fine tuned into Hotbird using the Drive Motor East/West bit and got over 50% in Strength and 100% Quality.

I don't really doubt the dish elevation or Mounting Pole as it wasn't me who installed it, lol, it was a pro.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
Sat position 2 is somehow looks like it is aligning with Hotbird, obviously I found this out due to the fact that I was tuned to an Hotbird Channel and got a picture..

Maybe, but maybe you got lucky. Transponder dets. are duplicated across satellites. Check multiple channel names and freqs more carefully to be sure.

djc said:
When moving to other positions how can I tell if I have got a signal when I don't have the list of Satellites ? I only got Hotbird becasue I scanned all the TP's...

The plugin detects signal and displays it.

djc said:
I have installed MyTheatre.v3.21 and trying that at the moment, so have upto date Sats etc...

Good idea, but I found it very unstable, so you may want to go back to V2.76 afterwards.

STICK

P.S. going to bed soon. You've knackered me out LOL!!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
Before I had pressed the "Send and Max Signal" I fine tuned into Hotbird using the Drive Motor East/West bit and got over 50% in Strength and 100% Quality.

I don't really doubt the dish elevation or Mounting Pole as it wasn't me who installed it, lol, it was a pro.

Pro's can be crap too!!!!

Do the Max Signal thing again. Sometimes it takes a few goes to get it, but you must be pretty close with 50%. That's not a very good signal though. Try a different channel on a different transponder. Some are better than others, but the Max Signal utility checks them all.

There is a Thread/post on here somewhere with the stongest transponder listed for all the sats. Very useful.

STICK

mr_boyson

Reaction score
djc said:
So your Longitude is a minus figure then ?

I think what Stick was saying is that if your figure is minus ie -0.6 -1.4 -52.7 or whatever, make it a positive number by doing 360 (complete rotation) minus that number. So for the examples above:

-0.6 = 359.4
-1.4 = 358.6
-52.7 = 307.3

Think I got that right :confused

mr_boyson

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
mr_boyson said:
I think what Stick was saying is that if your figure is minus ie -0.6 -1.4 -52.7 or whatever, make it a positive number by doing 360 (complete rotation) minus that number. So for the examples above:

-0.6 = 359.4
-1.4 = 358.6
-52.7 = 307.3

Think I got that right :confused

mr_boyson

So should input a + figure or - figure into the Plugin ?

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Managed to store Hotbird on number 30. To do this I selected number 2 from the table (even though number 2 relates to Astra19.2) and then fine tuned it, then stored it.

Have tried several others against the table in the SG2100 book, although the dish seems to be going the right way, its getting no signal. Is there a way I can manual tune all of them like I did with Hotbird ? Obviously to add the channels into the Sat list (on the right hand side of MT) you have to have scanned succesfully, you get my point ? So would like to be able to tune to a say Hispasat Channel, then fine tuning by stepping East/West ?

BTW, don't have Hispasat in the Satellite lists in the Plugin for some reason. Might have something to do with that I imported 139 .ini files, yet can only see 30.

Cheers

I'll get there in the end you know :rolleyes:

mr_boyson

Reaction score
djc said:
So should input a + figure or - figure into the Plugin ?

Although it SHOULD work with either, it is probably better to enter the positive figure.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If ever I decide to buy a DB I have instructed my wife how to sharpen the knife and use it

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
Managed to store Hotbird on number 30. To do this I selected number 2 from the table (even though number 2 relates to Astra19.2) and then fine tuned it, then stored it.

Have tried several others against the table in the SG2100 book, although the dish seems to be going the right way, its getting no signal. Is there a way I can manual tune all of them like I did with Hotbird ? Obviously to add the channels into the Sat list (on the right hand side of MT) you have to have scanned succesfully, you get my point ? So would like to be able to tune to a say Hispasat Channel, then fine tuning by stepping East/West ?

BTW, don't have Hispasat in the Satellite lists in the Plugin for some reason. Might have something to do with that I imported 139 .ini files, yet can only see 30.

Cheers

I'll get there in the end you know :rolleyes:

Firstly, enter the positive figure for your longitude, i.e. 358.3 or whatever it is where you are. Also select the motor type as SG2100.

Good, seems like you have Hotbird pretty well sorted and stored in the motor (although you don't have to store sat-locations in the motor, you can just store them in the plugin using the 'Modify' button). When you switch to a Hotbird channel in MT, it will automatically drive to that sat.

Right, now drive your dish to Hotbird, and then press the 'Auto Goto x.x' button. This will re-align all the other specified satellite locations BASED ON WHERE YOU HAVE TOLD IT THAT HOTBIRD ACTUALLY IS. You'll still have some minor fiddling to do for each sat, by stepping east and west etc. Don't forget to click the 'Modify' button for each one, so that it will remember it for next time (and store it in the motor as well if you want.)

Hispasat 30W should be there, but don't forget, it will be down the bottom of the list at 330E!!!

Here is a summary/recap of what you should do to tune/scan a sat in MT.

Get the list of transponders correct for a given sat (either import, manually update, or re-key them from Lyngsat etc.)

Allocate to the sat, an LNB on the sat/transponder setup page. Also set to Ku band and save.

Manually align the dish using goto x.x (or goto angular position as it says on the plugin) and then max the signal by stepping east and west slightly.

Then do the Max Signal button thing, and the plugin will fine tune the dish. If it says 'Signal to week' try again, or step slightly east or west and try again.

You need to get this to work to optimise your dish alignment.

Save the sat location in the plugin using the 'Modify' button. Store it in the motor using the 'Store Satellite Position' option in the diseqc drop-down listbox. Then go back to MT, go into setup, select all transponders for that satellite, and perform a scan.

Once you have it all sorted, back up your MyTheatre folder (in the Windows Program Files directory) to somewhere else.

STICK

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
BGonaSTICK said:
Firstly, enter the positive figure for your longitude, i.e. 358.3 or whatever it is where you are. Also select the motor type as SG2100.
Done that already.

BGonaSTICK said:
Good, seems like you have Hotbird pretty well sorted and stored in the motor (although you don't have to store sat-locations in the motor, you can just store them in the plugin using the 'Modify' button). When you switch to a Hotbird channel in MT, it will automatically drive to that sat.
How would I know if they were stored in the Motor ? When I stored them I did this in the Plugin.

BGonaSTICK said:
Right, now drive your dish to Hotbird, and then press the 'Auto Goto x.x' button. This will re-align all the other specified satellite locations BASED ON WHERE YOU HAVE TOLD IT THAT HOTBIRD ACTUALLY IS. You'll still have some minor fiddling to do for each sat, by stepping east and west etc. Don't forget to click the 'Modify' button for each one, so that it will remember it for next time (and store it in the motor as well if you want.)
Nope, did this and it still doesn't align with other Sats. Again how do I store in the Motor, through what program ?

BGonaSTICK said:
Hispasat 30W should be there, but don't forget, it will be down the bottom of the list at 330E!!!
In the Plugin Hispasat is not there, although the .ini file is there in the Sat directory. Just to confirm I drag and drop the Sat directory into the Plugin window.

BGonaSTICK said:
Here is a summary/recap of what you should do to tune/scan a sat in MT.

Get the list of transponders correct for a given sat (either import, manually update, or re-key them from Lyngsat etc.)

Allocate to the sat, an LNB on the sat/transponder setup page. Also set to Ku band and save.

Manually align the dish using goto x.x (or goto angular position as it says on the plugin) and then max the signal by stepping east and west slightly.

Then do the Max Signal button thing, and the plugin will fine tune the dish. If it says 'Signal to week' try again, or step slightly east or west and try again.

You need to get this to work to optimise your dish alignment.

Save the sat location in the plugin using the 'Modify' button. Store it in the motor using the 'Store Satellite Position' option in the diseqc drop-down listbox. Then go back to MT, go into setup, select all transponders for that satellite, and perform a scan.

Once you have it all sorted, back up your MyTheatre folder (in the Windows Program Files directory) to somewhere else.
STICK
Will work through this and try again and see where it gets me, not very confident though.

Also is there a way to reset the SG2100 from the Receiver end ? Or do I have to get up the ladders and press the reset button ? Also would this cure the problem I am having and thus revert back to the original table as in the manual, so then the Motor would align correctly to the ones shown in the manual ?

Cheers

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
BGonaSTICK said:

STICK

As soon as I do press the send button it throws the signal out so I presume the dish is moving slightly, I have tried this several times with the same results.

I have also tried by pressing Auto Goto, but none of the other Sats get aligned as it says they would. On some when I select a different satellite, you can see the signal appear then go again, indicating that the motor is going to far. Why is this ???

Oh and when I press modify after I have fine tuned, I get modify current satellite command with 1 drive East 1 steps, if I say yes it stores the wrong info, as it doesn't align properley when selected again.

Getting there I think, but must be something slightly wrong as the Sats seem slightly out.

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
Done that already.

How would I know if they were stored in the Motor ? When I stored them I did this in the Plugin.

Nope, did this and it still doesn't align with other Sats. Again how do I store in the Motor, through what program ?

Store to the motor table from the Plugin. See attached pic. Again, mine is V1.7 of the plugin.

djc said:
In the Plugin Hispasat is not there, although the .ini file is there in the Sat directory. Just to confirm I drag and drop the Sat directory into the Plugin window.

Don't know. Reload it from scratch. It's there. Check your range settings don't exclude it.

djc said:
Will work through this and try again and see where it gets me, not very confident though.

Also is there a way to reset the SG2100 from the Receiver end ? Or do I have to get up the ladders and press the reset button ? .

Get yer ladders out!!! It's a very small hole, so you'll need a fine pokey-stick-thing.

djc said:
Also would this cure the problem I am having and thus revert back to the original table as in the manual, so then the Motor would align correctly to the ones shown in the manual ?

Cheers

Nope, It'll reload the table back to the settings in the manual, but you gotta do the work. As I say, that is the function of the Auto Goto x.x buton, but it will still take some fine tuning.

If you can't do it, maybe your dish is not set up correctly. Wouldn't be the first time!

STICK

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
I'm now using 1.7 too.

Just to confirm what I have tried to do, cos its real frustrating that the Plugin can't remember the settings as I see the signal come then go as the dish turns too far.

Example 19.2e get a signal of 75% (after a bit of moving from East/West), then I have the following:-

Modify button, which is my understanding it should save/overwrite the existing co-ordinates for that Sat, so then should if selected again, should line up as I had it ? Am I correct ?

Auto Goto button, after fine tuning to get the strongest signal, I then press the Auto Goto button, which it says on the basis of the setting for that Sat should configure the settings for the rest of them ? Again am I correct ?

Modify/Max Signal, again after a bit of fine tuning (driving East/West), I click on the Send button, but straight away I lose signal, either totally or depending on which Sat, I might get a glimmer of a Signal, then I have the option of clicking the Max Signal button, which then tells me that the Signal is too weak (OF COURSE IT IS COS THE PLUGIN JUST MOVED THE ****** DISH )(-red ).

Anyway hope that tells you were I am at and what my major problem is.

If anyones got any other ideas, then I'll have to call the installer, although I know they will say something along the lines of "we don't support the SS2 or its a Software problem".

Cheers for the ongoing advice, it is much appreciated.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
I'm now using 1.7 too.

Just to confirm what I have tried to do, cos its real frustrating that the Plugin can't remember the settings as I see the signal come then go as the dish turns too far.

Example 19.2e get a signal of 75% (after a bit of moving from East/West), then I have the following:-

Modify button, which is my understanding it should save/overwrite the existing co-ordinates for that Sat, so then should if selected again, should line up as I had it ? Am I correct ?

Auto Goto button, after fine tuning to get the strongest signal, I then press the Auto Goto button, which it says on the basis of the setting for that Sat should configure the settings for the rest of them ? Again am I correct ?

Modify/Max Signal, again after a bit of fine tuning (driving East/West), I click on the Send button, but straight away I lose signal, either totally or depending on which Sat, I might get a glimmer of a Signal, then I have the option of clicking the Max Signal button, which then tells me that the Signal is too weak (OF COURSE IT IS COS THE PLUGIN JUST MOVED THE ****** DISH )(-red ).

Anyway hope that tells you were I am at and what my major problem is.

If anyones got any other ideas, then I'll have to call the installer, although I know they will say something along the lines of "we don't support the SS2 or its a Software problem".

Cheers for the ongoing advice, it is much appreciated.

OK m8. Hang in there. It ain't easy, but you're getting there.

You're first question, "should line up as I had it ? Am I correct ?" Yes, that's right.

You're second question "should configure the settings for the rest of them ? Again am I correct ?" Yes, again, that's correct.

Before we go on, your signal level of 75% on 19.2 is pretty low. I'd expect 90% plus on the skystar and a reasonable dish. What size/make dish do you have?

Right, finally, you've fine tuned the dish by stepping east and west to get the best signal you can. DON'T PRESS THE SEND BUTTON, as that will just put the dish back to where it was. Press the Max Signal button. WHEN IT'S FINISHED maxing out the signal, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the save position. Say yes!

Before you press the 'Max Signal' button, you must have the correct sat highlighted in the sat window at the top of the plugin window, so it knows which transponders to check. You should see it list the strongest transponder it's found just above the progress bar during the scan. You should then see it try different angular positions just east and west of where you started, looking for a stronger signal, and then recomenf the best 'average' position.

If you really can't get the max signal thing to work for you, then forget it. Just get the best signal you can, and store it in the plugin with 'Modify', store it in the motor as per the pic, and leave it at that.

You'll have to do this for each sat.

Good luck

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
BGonaSTICK said:
OK m8. Hang in there. It ain't easy, but you're getting there.

You're first question, "should line up as I had it ? Am I correct ?" Yes, that's right.

You're second question "should configure the settings for the rest of them ? Again am I correct ?" Yes, again, that's correct.
Well it aint storing them as it should.

BGonaSTICK said:
Before we go on, your signal level of 75% on 19.2 is pretty low. I'd expect 90% plus on the skystar and a reasonable dish. What size/make dish do you have?
The dish is an unbranded 80cm with 0.6LNB. Wonder if I have tuned in ok ?

BGonaSTICK said:
Right, finally, you've fine tuned the dish by stepping east and west to get the best signal you can. DON'T PRESS THE SEND BUTTON, as that will just put the dish back to where it was. Press the Max Signal button. WHEN IT'S FINISHED maxing out the signal, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the save position. Say yes!
My Max Signal button is grey out (non selectable), until I press the Send button.

BGonaSTICK said:
If you really can't get the max signal thing to work for you, then forget it. Just get the best signal you can, and store it in the plugin with 'Modify', store it in the motor as per the pic, and leave it at that.

You'll have to do this for each sat.
Is it best to store from No. 30 onwards, as my Motor table goes from 1-26, or if I store on 1-26 will it overwite the Motor setting ? Also while we're on the subject, I am at present using ProgDVB, is there a quick way to create a list of the Satellites I can receive so a t least when tuning in I have something to aim for ?

A last note on the signal quality. Just scanning for 28.8 and only getting around 35%, either I am doing something wrong, or it has something to do with the tree's at the bottom of the garden. I am starting to wonder if there are blocking the signal, although when I asked the Sat man he said there would be no problem, due to the fact when he was installing the dish he had to lower the dish slightly to make it fit.

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djc said:
Well it aint storing them as it should.

If you turn on the option to confirm motor driving in the plugin, it should report the actual command it's about to send to the motor before you press send, as in 'Drive to satellite position 13.7deg E?" or something like that, so you can see for sure if it's storing them OK.

djc said:
The dish is an unbranded 80cm with 0.6LNB. Wonder if I have tuned in ok ?.

Can't tell, but I would go get a really top quality LNB if I were you. Something like an Invacom 0.3db. 'Bout £23. Sounds like your dish needs all the help it can get.

djc said:
My Max Signal button is grey out (non selectable), until I press the Send button.

So fiddle about east/west, then store, then send, then max signal.

djc said:
Is it best to store from No. 30 onwards, as my Motor table goes from 1-26, or if I store on 1-26 will it overwite the Motor setting ? Also while we're on the subject, I am at present using ProgDVB, is there a quick way to create a list of the Satellites I can receive so a t least when tuning in I have something to aim for ?.

Store them where you like. You can overwrite the existing settings, but as I said, if you press the factory reset button they will all be set back to the original values regardless of where you stored your own. >30 sounds sensible to me. Sorry, don't DO ProgDVB :)

djc said:
A last note on the signal quality. Just scanning for 28.8 and only getting around 35%, either I am doing something wrong, or it has something to do with the tree's at the bottom of the garden. I am starting to wonder if there are blocking the signal, although when I asked the Sat man he said there would be no problem, due to the fact when he was installing the dish he had to lower the dish slightly to make it fit.

Cheers

Ahh...setup I can help you with. Trees require a big ugly bstard with a chainsaw! 35% indicates either an obstruction or an alignment issue.
"Had to lower the dish slightly to make it fit" worries me greatly!!!

STICK

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Just a quick update.

After leaving the thing for a week, went back to it and did the Max Signal thing and everything seemed to fall into place. Using MT2.76 I have gone through all the major Sats and done a re-scan and now can select channels on a different Sat and the dish moves spot on.

Now in preparation for my DB5620, would it be best to drive the motor to position 0, then connect and configure using the DB ?

Thanks for all the help :)