urgent please can anyone help?

WildlifeRescuer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+ satellite, panasonic dvd recorder, panasonic vcr, L63AB Av source selector
My Location
essex
please can someone help my cat fled behind the unit where all the cables are for my tv etc and as Im sure you have guessed she managed to pull out a couple of cables l have managed to put one back but I cannot figure out where the other one belongs there doesn't seem to be an empty slot for it, but it must fit somewhere as l have got no signal getting to my sky box? the dvd recorder with built in freeview is working but the sky just say my dish is not getting a signal??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If your Sky digibox says it doesn't have a signal, then it'll be one of the coax connectors which has become dislodged, or the cable has been pulled out partially from the connector, some of the screw connectors are not a particularly tight fit. Can you take a couple of photos and post them?

WildlifeRescuer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
essex
hi thanks for reply the cable that seems to belong nowhere looks like a coax ariel, I can take a picture or two but it's like spaghetti junction behind there so is there any particular image you need

WildlifeRescuer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
essex
just to say that when I put my reply to you I got the message that it was waiting for moderator approval and it has said that for the last 2hours so l guess you are not going to be able to see this until tomorrow so I think I will just call somebody as I was only on here in the hope I could get things up and running tonight so I would have something to help my insomnia which seems unlikely as my post is still awaiting approval thanks anyway

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
just to say that when I put my reply to you I got the message that it was waiting for moderator approval and it has said that for the last 2hours so l guess you are not going to be able to see this until tomorrow so I think I will just call somebody as I was only on here in the hope I could get things up and running tonight so I would have something to help my insomnia which seems unlikely as my post is still awaiting approval thanks anyway
Unfortunately this is a necessary evil, because of spammers.
If you check the rear of your Sky receiver you should see two tuner connections, where F connectors screw into:
sky+hdbox_rear.jpg
F Connector.jpg

The F Connector is still probably attached to your receiver, one of the tuners, but the cable might have come out, or the cable has become loose.
Please take a picture of the rear of your Sky receiver, if possible, and the cable.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
WR - the moderation queue is nothing personal, all new members get their posts moderated for the first few posts. As a popular forum we are targeted by spammers every day. We do a good job of stopping objectionable stuff getting onto the public forum.

I can assure you some nasty stuff gets into the mod queue which the average member never gets to know about.

A few more posts and your account will automatically revet to full membership with no intervention required from staff

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If the cable pulled out of the connector plug shown in Mickha's post above and you've just pushed it back in then there's every chance that it's gone back wrong as the plug is supposed to be unscrewed off.

What you need to do is unscrew the plug from the input on the back of your Sky box. There are several types of plug. If it's crimped onto the cable or compressed onto the cable then you'll have to have the plug remade. If the plug screws onto the outside of the cable then you have a chance to reassemble it.

With the plug off the cable make sure that all the braid is folded down the outside of the plastic sheath. This is very important as even a single wisp touching the centre core will cause the problem you have. There should be about 1/4" of centre metal core protruding. Carefully screw the plug onto the cable trapping the braid between the outside of the plastic sheath and the plug. The centre core should protrude no more than a millimetre or so further than the rotating nut part of the plug.. If it's excessively long it can bottom out when you screw it on the input.

The plug should then be connected to the box. Don't turn the complete plug as this will unscrew it from the cable; just the rotating nut part. You don't need to tighten it up excessively, a firm hand tightening will do the job.

As you have a Sky+ with a second input then check this one as well.