US Satellite TV?

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
HI i am not sure which forum i should put this in but has any one ever been able to pick up any US TV channels in the UK on there set up like UPN or Spike TV or NBC? i did a search for US TV but could not find any thing. also has any one tried to pick up any US TV satellites like Direct TV and i know you can get feeds from the US on satellites like 12%west and 16%East but is it possible to pick anything up straight from there?. and what sort of dish would you need to do this.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No chance. The majority of the satellites that serve the USA are below our western horizon. Those that are just above the horizon are operating on beams that cover the US, and dont come anywjere near us. You want to watch American TV via satellite, you move stateside

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
whats the most closest satellite to the US you can get in the UK then? is there any good channels on it?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Telstar 15W is the closest to U.S programming feeds, sometimes HBO sends their movies there and sometimes some other channels, it's very sporadic.

In the "old" days i know people on the Canaries Islands that received U.S TV channels from the old C-band satellites, the old Satcom satellites and Galaxy, they had wide beams and just touching the islands with both sidelobes and weak signals, 8-9 meter dishes was possible.

Now satellites have much more narrow beams and they can concentrate it much more so it's not any fun anymore, it's all very commercial these days, not liked the good old times.

MTF22

Michael T.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800HD PVR - with Hotbird & Astra 1 & Digiturk
My Location
Istanbul
I know that with Hotbird & Astra 1B you can get the AFN channels which are some US Channels that the US Forces in Europe get from the states to watch Stateside TV. I haven't had any luck in getting them in but I'm new to the Sattelite world as I just recently moved here from the states! Trying to get the sattelite to adjust properly to hopefully get some of those channels but you might have to pay for them if you don't have the correct keys.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No chance MTF22 without a Scientific Atlanta receiver - they're encrypted in SA's propietary PowerVu system.

Llew

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Llew said:
No chance MTF22 without a Scientific Atlanta receiver - they're encrypted in SA's propietary PowerVu system.

Llew

Yes and in the old days when AFN was on Intelsat 1W in C-band it was encrypted in B-mac.

I had one of those Scientific Atlanta official AFN decoders, but it wasn't authorized and it was all the same then, impossible to get authorized.

However i know AFN transmitted in the clear in the early 80's, around 1983-1984 and it was clear, i remember visiting a dealer who had a 4 meter dish in the parking lot outside his office and received AFN with much sparklies in the picture.

MTF22

Michael T.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Istanbul
Hello Llew,

So, if I would like to get AFN channels I need to purchase a Scientific Atlanta receiver which would then give me access to the channels correct? Would this also mean that if I flash the system with the correct codes for the other channels that I would be able to get them too?

Cheers,

Michael T.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No unfortunately, see Likvid's post above, the receiver needs to be authorised to receive the channels and that is near impossible.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No to both questions, sorry.

SA receivers have to be individually authorised by the network operator - in this case AFRTS. Each receiver has a built-in 'smartcard' (a chip) which is addressed by the operator to open those channels.

You can often find SA receivers up for sale on ebay, but as they're only suitable for PowerVu and FTA, it's not really worth the bother. Better to buy a conventional receiver and enjoy the many delights on offer over here O-Ha

Llew

MTF22

Michael T.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Istanbul
Cheers & Thanks 2 all for the helpful information.

It seems if I wanted to get AFN channels as well as the rest from europe I would have to have 2 satellite receivers and switch between the 2 then to watch TV which would be more of a pain in the ass then it would be worth. I guess like you said I will just enjoy the channels in europe!

Thanks again & have a great day!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
MTF22 said:
Cheers & Thanks 2 all for the helpful information.

It seems if I wanted to get AFN channels as well as the rest from europe I would have to have 2 satellite receivers and switch between the 2 then to watch TV which would be more of a pain in the ass then it would be worth. I guess like you said I will just enjoy the channels in europe!

Thanks again & have a great day!

If you want the AFN channels, join the American military. Thats just about the only way to get an receiver that will be authorised to see the channels.. May attempts have been made to get PowrVu receivers working in the past, and whilst receivers occasionally turn up on ebay they are invariably disabled.

Mullinsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
BEV, DISH, DTV
I am moving to UK soon, I am from Canada. I want to be able to watch shows from NA too, but satellitewise it does not look good. What I have been thinking of doing is investing in a really good webcam and getting my family to point it at the TV so i can watch and listen to it that way. I am not too sure if it would even work all that well, usually when looking at computer or television screens through webcams you see a flicker on all the comps and tv's. Just a thought, I am going to try it when i get over there, if you can have a webcam chat with someone in Europe and the fedd is good then it should be fine.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tried something similar across our school computer network during the World Cup last time around. Didnt work - the picture quality was AWFUL.

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
you get the 'flicker' because the refresh rate of your computer monitor is buch quicker then that of the tv.

iceburn

Reaction score
you would get better result if you use a tv card like for example lifeview Duo T which than using a mediaserver, it will capture it and "BROADCAST" it to you through the net.