USALS and limits of satellites

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Is there any specification that says there can be only be a specific number of satellites that are USALS enabled in a receiver?

I have some really big problems with my receiver, it won't accept more than a specific number of satellites enabled in USALS.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
And how many satellites is it limited to?

kalamar

Reaction score
I think USALS is determined directly from the list of satellites contained in your reciever,because you can as many as you need in most setups ,so no ,I dont think it would be limited by the USALS software itself but only so many positions on your motor,60 I think ,why would more be needed?

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
It is a receiver issue with the storage of positions. In my case with the default settings already and the ones I could set up for myself the storage is 27 all together.

But I actually can receive 30 plus birds so I always have to delete a position and add the one I want to have. But I do not do that very often since I usually only stick to a bunch of birds anyway :)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Found at with Topfield today and it is a bug in the firmware.

I got a new beta firmware now and everything is ok now, thanks to manufacturers that fix their bugs at least.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Found at with Topfield today and it is a bug in the firmware.

I got a new beta firmware now and everything is ok now, thanks to manufacturers that fix their bugs at least.

Did the beta firmware cure your lnb problems as well?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No as they weren't aware of the issues til one week back, this beta is 1 month old approx.

Will get a new beta this week prolly....

steffan_st said:
Did the beta firmware cure your lnb problems as well?

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
I have a question about this too.
With my old Manhattan I could turn the Moteck between 75 east and 61 west.
Now with the Topfield, the USALS-limits are 60 east and west. Strange...the motor is able to turn further. Why has Topfield build in this limit? And is it possible to override it? I really would like to receive PAS 10 again.

Jakenl

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
jakenl said:
I have a question about this too.
With my old Manhattan I could turn the Moteck between 75 east and 61 west.
Now with the Topfield, the USALS-limits are 60 east and west. Strange...the motor is able to turn further. Why has Topfield build in this limit? And is it possible to override it? I really would like to receive PAS 10 again.

Jakenl

I don't know of any limits, my Topfield can drive the Moteck to both 45 West and 72 East.

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
Likvid said:
I don't know of any limits, my Topfield can drive the Moteck to both 45 West and 72 East.

When you read the manual and look up the chapter about USALS, you will read that the TF has a limited range using USALS. I thought 60 degrees but it says 65 degrees, east as well as west.
Now, I am moving the dish via Diseqc 1.2 meaning I have to look up the sats manually, but now I can get beyond the 65 degrees-limit.

Jakenl

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
jakenl said:
When you read the manual and look up the chapter about USALS, you will read that the TF has a limited range using USALS. I thought 60 degrees but it says 65 degrees, east as well as west.
Now, I am moving the dish via Diseqc 1.2 meaning I have to look up the sats manually, but now I can get beyond the 65 degrees-limit.

Jakenl

Have you checked out your hardware limits on the motor itself?

kalamar

Reaction score
Yes it does sound like the limits on the motor itself need to be cleared.

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The Netherlands
No. The hardware limits are ok. Since I changed from Manhattan to Topfield, nothing was altered. Also, when I use Diseqc 1.2 commands, The motor moves all the way to the end (75 east and 65 west), but with the USALS-commands (Diseqc 1.3) the limits are 65 degrees, as described in the manual.
With the Manhattan though, the USALS functions well.
So it must be a software limit in the Topfield.

Jakenl

kalamar

Reaction score
jakenl said:
No. The hardware limits are ok. Since I changed from Manhattan to Topfield, nothing was altered. Also, when I use Diseqc 1.2 commands, The motor moves all the way to the end (75 east and 65 west), but with the USALS-commands (Diseqc 1.3) the limits are 65 degrees, as described in the manual.
With the Manhattan though, the USALS functions well.
So it must be a software limit in the Topfield.

Jakenl

I am refering to software limits maybe set in the motor memory by another reciever.

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The Netherlands
kalamar said:
I am refering to software limits maybe set in the motor memory by another reciever.

No Kalamar. I didn't put in limits. When I used the Manhattan, I set the hardware limits to OFF and I haven't changed that since.

But no worries, with Diseqc 1.2 I can receive the outer sats anyway. Just was curious about that USALS-problem.

Jakenl