USB fail / error

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +, Passion+ HD, Various Mac's, too many gadgets to count.
My Location
South Yorkshire
Hi, I a trying to transfer the new firmware to my passion + and keep getting USB error. I have reformated the stick to fat32 using vista and even my mac. I only have the one file on the stick at a time.
Any ideas?
Thanks

outerdelta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
with 65cm motorised dish
My Location
east anglia uk
surfgeek said:
Hi, I a trying to transfer the new firmware to my passion + and keep getting USB error. I have reformated the stick to fat32 using vista and even my mac. I only have the one file on the stick at a time.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi I am having the same problem. Cant seem to be able to update my firmware. It seems almost like the firmware update from the fortecstar web site is currupt?
Cant find itv hd either?
Help

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
Have you tried a factory reset prior to loading the new firmware ? Be sure to save your channel list if you want to keep the same EPG listings. Also it's better to load the firmware on boot-up rather than from the menu option.

To do this, power down the box using the on-off switch then plug the usb stick in. Now power the box up again and you should see 'File 1' on the front panel display. Now press 'OK' on the box (not the remote) and you should see the firmware file name appear. Press OK on the box again and it will start the read / erase / program routine.

The box will display 'GOOD' when complete and will reboot automatically. The new firmware will now be loaded.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
Surfgeek, just noticed that you have a Passion +. Is the firmware you are trying to load intended for the Passion + ? I would have thought that original Passion HD software wouldn't be compatible (but I may be wrong).

outerdelta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
with 65cm motorised dish
My Location
east anglia uk
Ratchet said:
Surfgeek, just noticed that you have a Passion +. Is the firmware you are trying to load intended for the Passion + ? I would have thought that original Passion HD software wouldn't be compatible (but I may be wrong).

Hi Rachet, My passion is also a passion +, do you think that this will need different firmware than a normal passion?

Neil.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
outerdelta said:
Hi Rachet, My passion is also a passion +, do you think that this will need different firmware than a normal passion?

Neil.

Hello outerdelta, See my reply in the other thread. I think the Innovation firmware maybe a closer match.

outerdelta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
with 65cm motorised dish
My Location
east anglia uk
Ratchet said:
Hello outerdelta, See my reply in the other thread. I think the Innovation firmware maybe a closer match.

Thanks Rachet, I have just been to the fortecstar web site and there is now a new firmware update for the passion+ box that i had not noticed, it is further up their list than the normal passion. I will try this.
Thanks.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
outerdelta said:
Thanks Rachet, I have just been to the fortecstar web site and there is now a new firmware update for the passion+ box that i had not noticed, it is further up their list than the normal passion. I will try this.
Thanks.
Nice one, well spotted right above the Innovation :-doh!
They could have made it a bit clearer, this is bound to confuse people as the list is alphabetical. For the record it appears to be different from the Innovation as it is prefixed with 'P2' rather than 'I' (original Passion HD firmware is prefixed with 'P').

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
yes it is very unclear to find, still get a usb fail however. I am going to buy a new usb stick tomorrow. Cheers

lopos2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion+
My Location
UK
@outerdelta
Thanks for the info. Will try to update the Passion+ tomorrow.

outerdelta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
with 65cm motorised dish
My Location
east anglia uk
lopos2000 said:
@outerdelta
Thanks for the info. Will try to update the Passion+ tomorrow.

Hi Lopos2000,

The new firmware was recognised straight away in the passion+ :).
As you say rachet, this model has its own firmware, managed to find itv hd ;)

thanks.

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
i am still getting usb fail, even with a brand new fat32 formatted stick. any suggestions ? Thanks

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
surfgeek said:
i am still getting usb fail, even with a brand new fat32 formatted stick. any suggestions ? Thanks

Have you tried the update procedure from post #3 ? This works on the Passion so it may work on the Passion+.

lopos2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion+
My Location
UK
I only had a USB fail error when I used the wrong update.

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
yes I have tried both methods for updates, I think my usb ports are not working correctly. no pvr function, not able to see pictures or music etc. is there a hard reset for this box ? I may have knacked the usb loading the wrong passion software previously not realizing that there was a difference between passion & passion + software.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
surfgeek said:
yes I have tried both methods for updates, I think my usb ports are not working correctly. no pvr function, not able to see pictures or music etc. is there a hard reset for this box ? I may have knacked the usb loading the wrong passion software previously not realizing that there was a difference between passion & passion + software.

loader v1.5 is supposed to prevent incorrect FW being loaded, did you have loader v1.4 on at the time you applied the standard Passion HD FW ? If the box now thinks it's a standard Passion HD you may have to go back to loader v1.4 in order to apply the Passion+ FW. I have attached it here in case you don't have it. If this works I would advise re-applying loader v1.5 when you are done.

Attachments

• loader_v140.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 35

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
Ratchet said:
loader v1.5 is supposed to prevent incorrect FW being loaded, did you have loader v1.4 on at the time you applied the standard Passion HD FW ? If the box now thinks it's a standard Passion HD you may have to go back to loader v1.4 in order to apply the Passion+ FW. I have attached it here in case you don't have it. If this works I would advise re-applying loader v1.5 when you are done.

I installed loader 1.5 first, then the firmware. I have tried your loader 1.4 and usb is still not recognized. On the front panel "usb" is lit in blue text.

could I use rs232 to update? I have a fairly new acer laptop which I do not think has rs232 port?? it has the same size connection but that is for ataching a monitor. shoudl I try to find something like a rs232 - usb converter ?
Thanks

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
surfgeek said:
I installed loader 1.5 first, then the firmware. I have tried your loader 1.4 and usb is still not recognized. On the front panel "usb" is lit in blue text.

could I use rs232 to update? I have a fairly new acer laptop which I do not think has rs232 port?? it has the same size connection but that is for ataching a monitor. shoudl I try to find something like a rs232 - usb converter ?
Thanks

Yes modern laptops tend not to have serial ports these days. I wouldn't go to the bother of getting a USB / RS232 adapter as there is no guarantee that it will work. I would take it back to Maplins and tell them the PVR functions don't work. As long as you don't admit to updating the firmware they will most likely exchange it for you. I know of several Passion owners who have had faulty boxes exchanged / refunded without any problems. I would advise you not to involve Fortec Star directly as they might ask you to return it for investigation.