USB Flash Sample Format

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I received a USB flash 128 MB promotion sample that a friend had and he doesn't need anymore.
Upon inserting in my PC, I got two new drives F and G
The F drive is formatted in CDFS and has an application, something like a pps.
The G drive is formatted as FAT.
When I tried to delete the application, I got a warning.
There is no format option for drive F, only drive G.
Obviously the company that gave away the sample wants to keep the file on the stick.
The problem is that once I insert it, it will not stop and I have to switch off the PC and then take it out.
(It is recommended not to take any USB flash out without stopping).
My question is how can I format this stick so that I can get rid of this annoying application?
I am thinking of using my Dreambox 7000S to format it this evening, but will it work?
I read that CDFS is a Linux based format.
Thanks. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
CDFS is what's used on Data CD/DVD-Roms, odd how they use it on a USB pendrive... :confused

You could try using the Partition manager in windows (Control Panel - Admin. Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management), delete both partitions, then make a single new one... :)

Just make sure you start windows with the drive inserted to stop it Auto-running... :)

Or Turn off the Autorun option on that drive... :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Or try holding down shift when inserting the drive (this stops autorun on autorun CDs - not sure about memory sticks).

Yes, a partition program sounds like the way to go to turn it back into a normal USB drive :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thank you for the replies.
Tried it and it has proved to be something of a challenge.
The delete and format options are greyed out on the MyCD drive.
Managed to delete both drives in the end, or do it seemed, but they just came back after inserting the stick.
The MyCD drive is probably burnt into the flash in a way that it will not be deleted and the application on it is undestructable.
Then I was told that there is an unformatted drive on drive H, formatted it as FAT32 so that I can still have some storage.
Any other ideas?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yes try it in the dreambox, think it is a fat chance that it will work

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
dig deep said:
Yes try it in the dreambox, think it is a fat chance that it will work

Tried that to start with. but no luck.
I think that I will just throw it in the dustbit as it is causing my PC to hang when I shut it down, with or without it.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
A friend of mine had one of those things, It kept loading some software stating "Powered by U3 Smart Technology",
I thought the name was ironic because if there was anything smart about it, that annoying piece of cr*p software would not be there.

Good luck trying to remove it, I spent quite a while doing just that with no luck, in the end I gave up,
The MyCD drive is probably burnt into the flash in a way that it will not be deleted and the application on it is undestructable.
You could be on to the right track there,

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps you are able to Fdisk the drive then delete the active partitions and any remaining partitions, then re-create a single partition. If you are going to bin it you may as well give it a try.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Topper said:
Perhaps you are able to Fdisk the drive then delete the active partitions and any remaining partitions, then re-create a single partition. If you are going to bin it you may as well give it a try.

I think it has been burnt like a CD-R with the application being a Read Only, so it is impossible to delete it, just like when you insert a CD-R in the drive and try to delete any files on it or try to format it.
It just won't work.
The company that distributed this sample must have thought about people trying to delete their "Advert" application and made sure that it won't be possible.
The interesting question now is how this is done. :)