USB problem

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Using Hydra Angharad image and tried to set up USB images.

I am unable to format the USB sticks (error messages) anyone had the same problem?

Have tried two different USB devices using the latest Hydra control panel format - directory errors.

Can you format the USB sticks without using the DB or does it have to be Linux formatted?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
Using Hydra Angharad image and tried to set up USB images.

I am unable to format the USB sticks (error messages) anyone had the same problem?

Have tried two different USB devices using the latest Hydra control panel format - directory errors.

Can you format the USB sticks without using the DB or does it have to be Linux formatted?

Hi GB: A usb stick formatted on DB causes an error when I try to mount it on a Mac. So they are not compatible formats, whereas PCs and Macs will read same stick.
I found the usb menuing very poor on Hydra with bits spread all over the place.
You first have to unmount in one menu and then format in another.
If you cant format it then I suggest sticking it in a Mac and reformatting to Mac using Disk Utility. Then put it in DB, check it is unmounted and reformat using DB. That way no Unix legacies can get in the way.
My new stick looked like an empty disk to Mac, I then formated it to DB and Mac wouldnt read it. So reformatting to mac shouldnt hurt, tho please dont send me the bill. You should be able to keep reformatting back and forth.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Thanks will try that

My friends USB was working with multi images and it worked great.

If it works can you have multi images on the one stick and use it on different DBs?

Assuming they are set up the same that is.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BE CAREFULL, I've read (on IHAD I think...) that one of the USB-stick reviewers had major trouble using a USB stick in the DB once it had been formatted for Windows... even having seemingly re-reformatted it in the DB. Also IHAD has a list of tested sticks. They don't all work you know.

Mine will only ever get used in the DB. I have the sandisk cruzer mini 128.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
Mine will only ever get used in the DB. I have the sandisk cruzer mini 128.

What do you think?

Is it worth have various images to switch between?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, but only if you're a nutcase!

Mine is still to go in my Chrimbo stocking, so haven't tried it yet, but if you're into the Dreambox, then logically it's a got-to-have.

Keep a nice stable image in flash (backed up to your PC/Mac) and play on the stick images.

P.S. Always buy your own Christams presents, otherwise you will invariably get socks and old-spice. :D

USBSTICK

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
P.S. Always buy your own Christams presents, otherwise you will invariably get socks and old-spice.

* BgonnaStick......Do They still do old spice ???

I read a while back that SOME usb sticks wont work with dreambox. There is something like copy protect inside and you need to be able to release this for it to work in the dbox. I bought mine (Peak 256mb) for only €35 (£25Stg)here in Dublin and you get a load of extras with it. An extension cable with it, which I find very useful. Formatted it with windows and would not work, Dreambox told me this with a pop up message. So the Dreambox re formatted again and it works a treat. Only use the HD for movies. Peats In Dublin might do mail order. Or I could get it for you if needed. Just pick what image you want after boot up. It gives a list and just highlight the one ,Then it starts to load.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Old Spice? LOL, yes I'm afraid, so you're not safe yet!

Thankfully Brute-33 has ceased to exist, though if my auntie Peggy were still alive, she'd find some old stock somewhere!

Bought my 128mb stick from here :-

_http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=3958223345&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59365

for £13.76 (£16.17 delivered). Cheapest I could find anywhere, and it's on the 'working' list from IHAD.

I'm going to post that list here. I'm sure they won't mind, if I credit them.

Well done chaps, very useful.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

Using a USB memory stick is great. With FlashWizard 4.5a (then update to 4.5b) formatting/mounting USB stick is a doddle. Then adding images to stick is just as easy with FW4.5 copying all your satellite settings and favourites lists. It's great, go 4 it.

I've used a Medion 256MB stick ever since I got a Dreambox. Initially I did it all the hard way using the Klona guide (which is great for getting started). But now with FW4.5 it's all so easy. Running 4 different images and stick 25% full. Dream Multimedia un-hacked 108.2-1 public beta in DB flash Hydra ruDream etc in USB.

Lots of luck with the stick.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland

Welcome td03-5

What image do you like the best and why?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Gameboy,

Thanks for the welcome.

Thats an easy question to answer!
I'm as enthusiastic about the Hydra Zeus image as FW4.5b.
It's easily the best image I have used since buying the DM7000S in March this year.
It's got internet update for just about everything you would ever want to update!

What image are you using?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
td03-5 said:
What image are you using?

Hydra Angharad - did try Zeus but lost all the satellite settings so went back.

Was wanting to try multi images with the USB but so far no success.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi again Gameboy,

Well a few weeks back I decided as things were 'quiet' on the satellite front it was time for me to try some 108 images. I was using ruCannon6 (a 107.4) image mostly at that time. I had about 4 other 107 images with DreamFlash 1.3b as my multiboot manager. I had used the DF1.3b multiboot eversince getting the DB.
I was initially reluctant to give up the ruCannon6 but this caused me problems (could not telnet to 107 image in USB with DMM108.1 image in DB flash). I'm OK now with all 108 images although I had to go to a DMM108.2 beta to get ruDream to load into USB.
Tried DreamFlash 2.3b (as the 108 version of what I had been using) and FlashWizard4.0/4.5 as multiboot managers. There are so many advantages to FlashWizard that I have stuck with that. I don't mean to put DF2.3b down it's OK as a MB manager its just that FW has so many extra features that make it so much easier to use. Take settings for instance. It has a 'smart settings copy' option which will copy the satellite settings on the current active image to the new image you are installing. No more re do settings, rescan satellites before you can try the image. Just download image from net, install new image with FW and away you go (well, almost) with all your old favourites lists just as you know and love them!!.

Download a copy from any of the online file supermarkets, install it on you PC and have a look at all its facilities. I'll be happy to help with anything I can.

Oops, severe verbal diarrhoea. Sorry.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
td03-5 said:
Download a copy from any of the online file supermarkets, install it on you PC and have a look at all its facilities.

May have a problem there - I use a Mac!

Only use a PC when I have really messed my DB up (twice so far).

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hmm - looks like it'll have to be DreamFlash 2.3b then as it resides totally on the Dreambox. Shame, makes things that bit more difficult but by no means impossible.
You'll need to get Dreamflash 2.3b from the supermarket then. It will (I think) be in a zip file. You will need (preferably) a standard DMM 108.1 (or 108.2 beta) image on your DB flash and then ftp the contents of the zip (tools.tar.gz to /tmp and the two files flash_setup.so and flash.setup.cfg to /var/tuxbox/plugins).
Now press blue button on DB remote and select DreamFlash setup. Chose USB and then wait until DB has rebooted. Pressing blue button now shows DreamFlash Admin. It won't do anything yet as there are no images loaded nor waiting to be loaded.
To install an image in USB first ftp the imagename.img file to /var/mnt/usb. Then blue button DreamFlash Admin - install new image - select image to install, give it a name and OK. Then wait. When install complete, reboot box and you will see a menu on the DB display (and on screen) giving the two images as boot options. Select the one required and press OK. Wait and it boots!

None of which gets anywhere near addressing your problem with the USB mem stick.
I'll continue thinking and post again.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Hope you stick around...

Looks like you're going to help a lot of folks here.

Great to have your input.

Will try your suggestions and get back.

Thanks again

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont rush at it Gameboy,

First we've got to get the DB to recognise and format the USB stick.
I'll be back, being chased at mo.

BFN and TNX 4 the TNX.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Gameboy,

Final thought for tonight. Flash a standard unhacked DMM108.1 (the only one on the DMM official site) or a 108.2-1 public beta (if you can find one, I did but cannot remember where - all my postings elsewhere lost!). Enter all your satellite settings and let it do a full scan. (Are there any programs for the Mac, like DreamBoxEdit which allow settings to be down/up loaded?).
Now it's time for the long-winded Linux stuff! (That's assuming you can start a terminal session from Mac to DB?).
Assuming a telnet type session has been established with the Dreambox then at the Linux prompt type:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc - and press Return.
This should format the USB stick and various cluster information etc will be displayed. It will take a while but will return to the prompt when complete.
Next to mount the USB type:
mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/lun0/disc /var/mnt/usb - and press Return.
It should mount almost instantly with no error message and just return to the Linux prompt. Assuming all seemed to go OK then to check it type:
cd /var/mnt/usb Return
ls Return (thats LS)
Should display: lost+found
If so, all seems OK so go ahead with DreamFlash installation as above.

73 & good luck.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Under mac OS X I have a Terminal programme but have never used it to communicate with the DB.

What command would i use to talk to the box?

I thing I managed to get the USB stick formatted using the image commands it tells me it's mounted. Where to go to load other images and get it to boot from them is next step.

Have deleted all the satellite setting when I decided to do a flash erase tonight.

When the box came back I loaded the long lat settings in GoToXX and it moved to Astra 19.2 and I scanned it first time. After that i am back trying to find the other birds using the remove - East and West.

Should have it back by Christmas - not saying which one...