USB stick compatability

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Gameboy,

Does this mean that you couldn't get on with DreamFlash 2.3b or is it just that you want all the benefits of Flashwizard 4.5b?

Another thing, have had the Gemini image pointed out to me. It's a 108 image with 'net update like Hydra Zeus. Loaded it myself this afternoon (Gemini 103 24122004) to give it a try. Took more searching the options (all under blue button) before I found the 'net download/update for emu's & k*y* but it works fine once you've found your way around it. Those that have been using it claim no (!! or at least few) lockups. In the short time I've been using it then it's certainly been OK. However, I find radio channels to be the biggest image freezers and only FTA ones at that! I listen mostly to Sunshine Live, MAXIMA FM & Radio 538 all on 19.2E. By poping round these 3 I usually manage to lock up an image! Haven't yet tried them on Gemini.

For those who have positioner problems with Zeus, I wonder if it might be worth trying the Gemini 103 24122004 image?

73 & have a good hogmanay.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
td03-5 said:
Does this mean that you couldn't get on with DreamFlash 2.3b or is it just that you want all the benefits of Flashwizard 4.5b?

As I was starting again from scratch I thought I would take your advice and try and get Flashwizard working.

Will let you know how I get on - then maybe I'll try all the other images.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
bigmantank said:
Thanks for the advice, i plumped for a Kingston 256MB USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive(data traveller on the list) £16.63 delivered from ebuyer.
http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?rb=4014649444&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=53918

I can confirm that this stick is compatable with the db, but unfortunately they have stopped doing free delivery on it, so it will cost a little extra(still a great buy in my opinion)

PS. DON'T LET THE WIFE WASH YOUR STICK AS IT WILL PROBABLY NEVER WORK AGAIN!!

tighbuidhe

Reaction score
bigmantank said:
I can confirm that this stick is compatable with the db, but unfortunately they have stopped doing free delivery on it, so it will cost a little extra(still a great buy in my opinion)

PS. DON'T LET THE WIFE WASH YOUR STICK AS IT WILL PROBABLY NEVER WORK AGAIN!!

Hi, wondering if you could please advise me.
Waiting delivery of Kingston 256MB Flash Memory Drive USB 2.0 (part number KUSBDTI/256). I am getting this as a replacement from ebuyer for one that was faulty or was 'bust' by me!!
I put the first one I got straight onto Dreambox from packaging and did not format it in Windows first. When I tryed to format it in the Dreambox using FlashWizard it tried to format it for 3 hours before I gave up. When I then tried to format in windows it refused. All other attempts on Dreambox and Windows XP failed, so I sent it back to ebuyer as faulty.
Any advice on how you managed it would be welcome as I dont want to have to send back the replacement. Thanks in advance
regards
tighbuidhe

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi tigh,

My USB stick is a 256MB Medion from the Aldi supermarket. It went straight into the Dreambox from the packing.
It was early last year and I had just got my DB. I was following the Klona guide so I formatted and mounted it using Linux commands from telnet. I seem to remember a slight difficulty getting it to work but it was probably just me and the big clumsy Linux commands. Ran it with DreamFlash and 107 images until later in the year when I switched to 108 images and FlashWizard.
Have reformatted it many times with FlashWizard and it's always OK.

I think you were unlucky and it was a faulty stick.
I've got my fingers crossed (4 pairs, 2 pairs on each hand!!) that your new stick will work OK.

73 & good luck.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you use the Hydra images, you can put the USB stick into the back straight out of the box and use the Hydra's own format commands to set it up.

Then use your PC and FlashWizard pro to set up multi boot.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
tighbuidhe said:
Any advice on how you managed it would be welcome as I dont want to have to send back the replacement. Thanks in advance
regards
tighbuidhe

Had no problems formatting my stick, just stuck it in the back of the dreambox and formatted using flashwizard pro 4.5b, never looked back till my wife washed it(thought it was a goner:eek: ), tried it a couple of days later in my pc just to see and hey presto it recognised it. I took it downstairs to my db plugged it in, restarted the db and there it was, had to reformat it mind but it works fine now.
Pretty indistructible these things are. :D

tighbuidhe

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the good advice. Replacement arrived today and all went well, first stick must have been faulty.
regards
tighbuidhe

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well done! Glad it's all OK now.

73 & happy multibooting.