USB stick compatability

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
Hi all,
I have just been looking for a USB stick for my upcoming db7000-s, I found a very interesting one on ebuyer, it is a Z-Cyber 1.5GB USB 2.0 I-drive External Mini USB Drive(£58.74 delivered free) and i was wondering if anyone knew if this is compatable with the db? i have read the thread at http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=32481 and read the file posted there but it is not listed and i dont know how old the list is. This looks like a quite new drive and i would like to know if anyone has one or has tested one.

many thanks for all replies
BMT

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dunno m8. I went for a tested one.

The list is sort of a living document over at IHAD, but only lists small capacity sticks.

You can get at least 4 large images on a 128, and 8 on a 256, so a huge stick won't really help you on the DB, unless you want to use it for other stuff as well.

Also heard stories (over at IHAD and other sources) about sticks not switching file systems too easily.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can save images to your Hard Disk (if you get one with your 7000).

I did manage to get the DB to use my USB stick but since then....

...looks like the gales have moved my dish mount, only slightly, I now have a black screen...

May last until the New Year as it is very difficult to get to my set-up.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
Yes I will be getting a 160gb hd with my 7000s, If you save the images on the hd can you multiboot from the hd or does it have to be from the usb?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
bigmantank said:
Yes I will be getting a 160gb hd with my 7000s, If you save the images on the hd can you multiboot from the hd or does it have to be from the usb?

Glad to hear you are going for the 7000, what changed your mind.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

USB or HDD both OK for multiboot. Only difference quoted for USB is that if a lockup got really bad you could pull out stick and boot from flash image in DB. (Never had to do it myself always able to select another multiboot image or the flash image). It's also nice to sometimes spring clean the image store by formatting the USB and starting again with loading images. When I delete an image i've never quite got back all that was taken by the image. Not noticeable on HDD as so much space available.
Just to confirm what 'stick was saying, I've got 4 images in my 256MB stick at the moment and FlashWizard4.5b says it's only 25% used so I think you've gone for the right USB BigMan.

Gameboy, sorry to here of your probs. How was multiboot going before it happened? You confused me in the other thread!

73 & Greasons Seatings.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
john_graydon said:
Glad to hear you are going for the 7000, what changed your mind.
Well John i thought about what you said and looked around and i found a 7000s(new) with a 160gb hd on ebay and i won it at a very reasonable price of 374 euros. All i gotta do now is wait for it to arrive(probably 2nd week in january).

td03-5 said:
Hi Folks,

USB or HDD both OK for multiboot. Only difference quoted for USB is that if a lockup got really bad you could pull out stick and boot from flash image in DB. (Never had to do it myself always able to select another multiboot image or the flash image). It's also nice to sometimes spring clean the image store by formatting the USB and starting again with loading images. When I delete an image i've never quite got back all that was taken by the image. Not noticeable on HDD as so much space available.
Just to confirm what 'stick was saying, I've got 4 images in my 256MB stick at the moment and FlashWizard4.5b says it's only 25% used so I think you've gone for the right USB BigMan.
td03-5
I hear what you`re saying there td and i think it will be better to have it all on usb for those reasons.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
td03-5 said:
Gameboy, sorry to here of your probs. How was multiboot going before it happened? You confused me in the other thread!

You were correct, it was Dream Flash - all seemed well until the gale moved the mount. Had a quick look, up the ladder, a minute ago (not ideal as it's snowing) looks like the motor has been moved to the left slightly. No way of doing anything about it until the weather gets better.

Back to freeview for me - bah humbug.

Thanks for your help and have a nice Christmas - look out for you at toes.

Maybe Santa might nudge the mount with his sledge tonight!!!!

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Gameboy,

Yeah sorry about that. My simple fixed dish 2xLNB system shifted in the wind last year. I borrowed a meter when I first set this up so decided to improvise. I fired up the analogue RX, selected a known weakish channel on 13, fed the audio to my cordless headphones sender, went up steps to dish (it's mounted quite low) and guessed which way it had shifted (fortunately correctly), once audio acquired it was tweak for minimum hiss, tighten mount and hope. Meant to do it properly in the summer but ..... you know, still it's OK!

Glad multiboot seems OK. Let me know more when it's all working again.

Yes, noticed your first post there.

73 & lood guck, See you there or here.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
td03-5 said:
Glad multiboot seems OK.

Set up the dish myself - shouldn't be that bad sorting it. Last dish was fixed with two LNBs (Astra 19.2 and Hotbird).

Bet lots of dishes have moved here after the wind - noticed a few pointing it the wrong direction when I was out earlier.

Someone will make a lot of money over the next couple of weeks - shame for all the subscribers as this is the time when the telly's not that bad.

Like to watch the New Year arrive around the globe - maybe get a break in the weather to sort it.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
bigmantank said:
Sorry Stick I didnt realise that size didnt matter:rolleyes: and that it was what you did with it that counted.(All these years the wife has been lying to me;) ).

Thanks for the advice, i plumped for a Kingston 256MB USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive(data traveller on the list) £16.63 delivered from ebuyer.
http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?rb=4014649444&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=53918
Nice one. (from memory...) I wasn't sure if that was exactly the same stick as the one on the list, and so avoided it, especially as one of the other Kingston sticks didn't work. Hope it works for you. At that price, it wouldn't be the end of the world though, would it? LOL.

Let us know, 'cos it sure is a good price.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hey Gameboy, if your dish hasn't moved that much, you should be able to step it round a bit via the motor and still pick up some sats. Signal may not be quite as strong due to slight change in elevation, but better than nothing 'till you can hit it with the spanners...

Why not give it a go?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
Why not give it a go?

Tried and no way - hope to fix when the weather breaks - about April here in Scotland.

Don't worry I'll get it working ASAP - meanwhile back to Freeview...

Have a good one...

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
BGonaSTICK said:
Nice one. (from memory...) I wasn't sure if that was exactly the same stick as the one on the list, and so avoided it, especially as one of the other Kingston sticks didn't work. Hope it works for you. At that price, it wouldn't be the end of the world though, would it? LOL.

Let us know, 'cos it sure is a good price.
I`m not sure if its compatable but it states in the write up for the stick that it is from the data traveller range. I will let you know the outcome sometime in Jan when I get all the pieces together and start playing.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
bigmantank said:
it states in the write up for the stick that it is from the data traveller range
Sweet. Should be OK then.

Good luck and Happy Chrimbo.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Lovely day today in Scotland.

Dish re-aligned and scanning the arch again - Ding Dang Doo!

New Freeview aerial fitted - extra 17 channels.

Very productive Boxing Day.

Good old Santa...

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cool. Didn't know Santa did aerial fitting and dish re-alignment!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
Cool. Didn't know Santa did aerial fitting and dish re-alignment!
He does in my house.

Never forget the year I found out Santa doesn't exist (sorry kids) ruined my 26th birthday!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Virtual PC can now communicate with the DreamBox - have downloaded FlashWizard4.5b to try and set up the USB.