Use satellite spectrum analyzer to find weak 3g signals?

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Is it possible to use the 900-2100MHz coverage of a satellite spectrum analyzer to find the best location for a 3G signal in a very weak reception area? Have the choice of a Satlook Digital NIT or a DrHD1000.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You will need the right dipole to find them, a cantenna with isolator perhaps. The Satlook did not have LNB power off option last time I looked.

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hi,

The Satlook Digital NIT has indeed LNB power constantly on. If you attach a regular antenna it will display an error message, complaining about a short. Not the best device for this purpose, but you will see the transponders.

In fact you will see ANY transponder operating in the supported frequency range, but bear in mind that the mentioned field meter have a rather simplified spectrum analyser capability with a large RBW (resolution bandwidth). I would guess that the Satlook Digital NIT has about the equivalent of 1MHz RBW.

This means that you can "see" a GSM, CDMA, UMTS or LTE transponder, but at a rather blurred resolution.

Also, don't forget that mobile communication is not happening exlusively above 900MHz:

You have these designed frequency ranges: List of Mobile Frequencies by Country (GSM, CDMA, UMTS, LTE)

Common bands are around 800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 MHz, so regular satellite field meter don't cover them completely!

You could use a cheap SDR based radio (google RTL2832U) or the SMA/NWT range of "Simple Spectrum Analyzer" (search eBay and visit my blog: VMA's Satellite Blog).

I think the best and cheapest option, though, is to just use your phone!

Example for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.networkwidget&hl=en_US

Regards,
Vitor