Midlands
With Gemini

(1) telnet command killall crond

(1) with ftp uncomment the line (remove # ) in /var/etc/init

#sleep 15 && /var/bin/crond &

(2) add the following line in /var/spool/cron/crontab/root

05 * * * * root /var/bin/script01.sh

(3) telnet command crond

This will update every 5 minutes. If not happy, reduce 05.

Replace script01.sh with the required script name e.g. satanUpdater.sh

Remember, linux is case sensitive.

You can use this with satan updater: http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/500/94671-does-satan-work-500s.html#post595971

Any problems please refer to this old thread:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/71437-tps-aes-updater-mgcamd.html

The syntax of crontab is explained here:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/71437-tps-aes-updater-mgcamd.html#post408229

And remember, starting a new thread helps lots of forum members, whereas a PM helps only one. :)

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Having done this for myself, without looking at this forum, I have done more or less the same, but for some reason on my 7025 I have to invoke a shell for it to work, but don't need to define the user as it's the root crontab anyway, i.e.

05 * * * * sh /var/bin/script01.sh

I have several lines in my crontab; I find updating Satan every hour is fine; I also have middle of the night housekeeping routines, such as

* 2 * * * sh /usr/scripts/backup.sh

backup.sh copies key files (I don't even bother to tar them) to the hard disk. Should I need to, I can copy them back in a telnet session.

Cron is a very powerful tool; one of the gems of Linux.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Unfortunately Satankeys are not very fast when it comes to updating keys...the quickest I have for d+ and cabo is the florikey updater, but that needs to be on the computer. It would be nice if there were a plugin like this on the box.

k0103707

Reaction score
I agree it would be an excellent feature to have. I hope richards & the drag team concider it, they have by far the best updater. Apparently by the 4.0 version you'll just need to click on florikey and it will do everything else for you, i believe this can already be done for mgcamd. Richards hasn't said anything about automatic updating. We'll see if there's any developments.

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
I experimented with Florikeys, but it consistently crashed on both my XP computers.

Satankeys does at least work both on the Dreambox and consistently robustly.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Can cron be used to start a .bat job on a PC?

Although, unless there is some kind of script running on the Dreambox that can work out when the keys have stopped working it'd be easier to use Windows Task Scheduler.

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mhku, please forgive me, but by "PC" you mean "PC using Windows". I am writing this on a PC using Linux; of course I can start a cron job!

Pedantry apart, there are many cron programs available for Windows. The one I like is cronw

http://cronw.sourceforge.net/

If you're familiar with cron by using it with the DB, you should have no problem with cronw.

However, the Windows Task Scheduler is probably easier for beginners (but less flexible).

As for the keys working or not, I would have thought this would need to be a function built in to CCcam or whatever softcam you're using.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are there .bat files in Linux? :p

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mhku said:
Are there .bat files in Linux? :p

You don't normally have files with the extension .bat, but you have shell scripts which are the equivalent (and more powerful). These are tailored to the shell used - on a Linux PC it's normally bash, but in a DB it's sh, probably for reasons of space. By convention, a shell script has the extension .sh, but this isn't technically necessary. The script must be made executable (i.e. have the x attribute set) if it is to be invoked directly.

But returning to cron for a Windows PC, cronw will, of course, start a .bat file or any other (Windows) executable.

I'm about to return to the problem of mounting a network share in the Dreambox at boot time, as the /etc/fstab method I gave a few weeks ago is inconsistent; the answer is a shell script.

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hopefully somebody with a 500 will answer you, but in case not, I found this (in German) on how to get a (sort of) cron working on the 500.

I also believe that the Pli images for the 500 have it built in.

andrius

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025
My Location
UK
Hi mate,
I am having a problem installing satankeys updater on DM7025, I read many threads and couldn't the right anwer.I can't find to which folder copy .sh and .cfg files and how to install this plugin on this unit.
Would be nice if you could help me whith this

Many thanks

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat

cccc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
My Location
CH
billnot said:
Hopefully somebody with a 500 will answer you, but in case not, I found this (in German) on how to get a (sort of) cron working on the 500.

I also believe that the Pli images for the 500 have it built in.

I have installed cronmanager for enigma 1 and it seems to work !

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
T_G said:
Your post is a bit out of subject. It is fairly easy to install the updater, only two files to put in the corret folder and off you go. Have a look at this thread (is part Portugese but some english). http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ankey-updater.html?highlight=satankey+updater

Satankey-Updater.cfg > var/tuxbox/plugins
Satankey-Updater.sh > var/tuxbox/plugins
chmod 755

I put the updater script in /usr/script, as that seemed the logical place. I have a cron job running it every hour and it works, so I'm not so sure it matters where you put it as long as when you call it you know where it is!