using dreamup

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Hi,

I'm slightly confused so please bear with me. As far as I understand the rs-232 connection on the back of the db is male as is the com port on my computer. I have a null modem wire, 9 -9 pin female to female so am i right to assume I don't require an adaptor? The problem is when i click on connect using dreamup the status says ' connection prepared -now switch on the dreambox-. Do you see a blue bar instantly or how long do you have to wait, because i'm not sure. I know i select the right com port and It is a null modem cable because I used it to upload firmware on my old strong box with an adaptor attached. Hope you guys can help me

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi striker,

Just confirm that you did start with mains electricty to the Dreambox disconnected?
That you started DreamUp on your PC, clicked Connect and after the Now Switch on Dreambox message, you then reconnected the mains power to the Dreambox?
Next you should get a Connection Established message as the box begins to boot (but is halted from fully booting by the DreamUp connection).
Then click Flash and select the image on your PC that you want to install.
Then the blue bar will start.

Did it go as the above sequence?
If not where did it fail?

73 & good luck.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
hi,

yeah the dreambox was disconnected. I loaded dreamup. Set the com port, disabled use network clicked on connect then powered up dreambox. It came up with 'dreambox multimedia on the lcd' then the software version. It never came up with connection established.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi striker,

No, the Connection Established message (or something similar) is in the DreamUp panel not on the Dreambox display.
When you see that it is the indication that DreamUp is ready for you to click the Flash button.
Sounds like there is still something wrong with the connection if this does not happen (cable or port).
Some boxes require different connections in their null modem cable from others.
Check Klona's guide for what will definitely work with the Dreambox.

73 & good luck.

Got to go now back later tonite.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
The problem is when i click on connect using dreamup the status says ' connection prepared -now switch on the dreambox-. Do you see a blue bar instantly or how long do you have to wait, because i'm not sure
You should get a connection as soon as the DB boots (ie very quickly).

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
I can now get it connected, erase put on new image but when i restart and press top left button on dreambox nothing happens. Using version 1.08 I can get to the tv system wizard where it says pal, press green to save but nothing responds. Any advice?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Striker10 said:
I can now get it connected, erase put on new image but when i restart and press top left button on dreambox nothing happens.

When you say nothing happens are yo getting to the Dream display on the LCD?

If you continue to hold the button in it will change to 'flash erase' then you can let go.

You only get the select PAL etc after you flash erase or when you load an image from scratch - looks like you're not far away.

Check your remote is is DreamBox mode.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Well when i turn it on it say's dream multimedia on the lcd then loads the software version on the lcd and then goes into the tv system wizard. I've read you press the top button on the reciever as soon as dream media appears on the lcd so I hold it down, is it supposed to load through to the tv system wizard? It's very frustrating. Can confirm remote in dreambox mode because when i press buttons it lights up red. Any ideas?

gameboy said:
When you say nothing happens are yo getting to the Dream display on the LCD?

If you continue to hold the button in it will change to 'flash erase' then you can let go.

You only get the select PAL etc after you flash erase or when you load an image from scratch - looks like you're not far away.

Check your remote is is DreamBox mode.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

Pleased to hear there has been progress striker.

Striker, have you held the Up button long enough for the display to say 'Flash Erase' (As soon as I reboot the box I usually hold both the Up & Down buttons in together until I get the 'Flash Erase' message on the DB display).
Should then start with TV system, Time zone etc, on to sat setup and then start a sat scan.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Try holding all three button in, that sometimes does it - honest

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
hi,

Well i held the two buttons as you said but it still loaded into tv wizard. I also tried the three buttons and that didn't work either. Keep the ideas coming please lol cause this is getting annoying

td03-5 said:
Hi Folks,

Pleased to hear there has been progress striker.

Striker, have you held the Up button long enough for the display to say 'Flash Erase' (As soon as I reboot the box I usually hold both the Up & Down buttons in together until I get the 'Flash Erase' message on the DB display).
Should then start with TV system, Time zone etc, on to sat setup and then start a sat scan.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Striker10 said:
Keep the ideas coming please lol cause this is getting annoying

What I would do is get the null modem cable out erase the image and load a fresh version from the official site.

Follow the 'exact' instructions in the manual.

It sounds like you have something left on your box it doesn't like.

Once you get it working - the real fun begins...

P.S. My null modem cable is 9 pin both ends! Don't know much about PCs except how to use the DreamUp software!!!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Striker
I don't know how a flash erase won't work, but I suggest you put in a new image and then try again.
In any case, there is only one way of flash erasing: Turn the box off, then on. The minute you see 5620 boot you press the top button and don't let go until all the flickering on the display has stopped and you do get the "pal" menu. Maybe the image you have put on is funky, just try again. Use Hydra or Gemini. Use dreamuplan to flash the image.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
I can't use dreamuplan because it won't connect to the network. It was working fine albiet with 1.05 until i mounted a hdd, which screwed it up. It's incredably annoying. I've tried alot of images and it does nothing. loads dream media then s/w version and then tv wizard. I was wondering when you press on remote do you see the lED for the remote on the reciever flashing when you press a key? No one else has had this problem?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi striker,

A few thoughts, nothing very 'try this it will cure it' I'm afraid!

After you fitted the HDD and had initial problems with the box not booting, I seem to remember you saying the orange LCD backlight on the DB display was not coming on. Is this still the same or has this problem gone away?
If backlight still not working.... are all the power rails OK or has one gone missing?

I've also heard of something called the 'erase image' which is supposed to clear the DB memory. If you are having problems you load the erase image, it clears mem out, then you load a real image and all should go OK, apparently! Don't know where you get it though.

73 & good luck.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Hi,

hi td03-5

Well i've installed a few versions now of images and the orange backlights not come on since, even with 1.05. I'm not too sure about the power rails. I used the erase image, then put verseion 1.08.1 on it. It comes up with booting up screen, version number on lcd screen then a pause with nothing on the lcd screen and then it goes 'dead'. Is it a hardware problem????

td03-5 said:
Hi striker,

A few thoughts, nothing very 'try this it will cure it' I'm afraid!

After you fitted the HDD and had initial problems with the box not booting, I seem to remember you saying the orange LCD backlight on the DB display was not coming on. Is this still the same or has this problem gone away?
If backlight still not working.... are all the power rails OK or has one gone missing?

I've also heard of something called the 'erase image' which is supposed to clear the DB memory. If you are having problems you load the erase image, it clears mem out, then you load a real image and all should go OK, apparently! Don't know where you get it though.

73 & good luck.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Have you removed the HDD?

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
gameboy said:
Have you removed the HDD?

yep. currently when i remove it it loads s/w version and then the lcd screen goes blank and the scart connection is cut. With the hdd is it hangs on the bootup screen. any ideas?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Remove all the leads SCART etc except the power supply and remove the HDD and any cable you have added.

If the bootloader is damaged the box will have to be returned as it is under warranty. I am told you wouldn't get the startup screen if it was damaged so here's hoping that it's not.

Remove the power supply and wait a minute. Reconnect the power supply and startup - what happens?

When you used DreamUp to load the image did you follow the instructions exactly as the manual? Did 'everything' happen exactly as the manual said?

I used a nine pin to nine pin cable and a crossover Ethernet cable attached