Using Just LNB to get Skytv.

nickcol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Linux based Myth tv + technotrend dvb card.
My Location
Southwest UK
Hi

I am playing around with a Mythtv box with a technotrend dvb-s card which is all setup except for the dish.

My problem is restrictions on putting a dish up, In this area no-one can put a dish up.
My flat is in SW uk and has a 1foot deep balcony on the south wall of the lounge which would be ideal for sky sat. I need to be able to mount some sat dish/arial in the gap between the door and balcony which is around 1foot. Not on the outside of the balcony.
I would have to mount it on the inside of the metal balcony but so its just above the top for reception with some sort of homemade bracket as cannot be mounted on the wall.

I have seen on some otherwebsite that some people have just used the LNB without a dish and pointed the lnb directly at the sat and it worked.
Does anyone know if this is possible and would you even get a signal.??

I have Also seen this square flat dish, does anyone know of other suppliers of small flat dishes like this ?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220124&&source=14&doy=search
which at least does not look like a normal sat dish.

Thanks

Nick

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Just an LNB?

:-Nooo

Not unless you carved a parabolic scoop out of your wall and covered it with tin-foil! ;)

Kathrein make a neat flat dish, and it's square so it doesn't even look much like a dish. Have a search. They're about £125. You might even be able to mount one behind your window, as it doesn't even have a traditional LNB arm.

Don't know what they perfom like.

nickcol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Linux based Myth tv + technotrend dvb card.
My Location
Southwest UK
Thanks for the info. I will have another look for flat dishes now.

Nick

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also do a search for Arcon Sweetie dish, it is very compact and performs well.