using old sky analogue dish for digital

thedavid2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have any setup yet. Still researching what I need.
My Location
Scotland
I'm just getting into satellite tv. I can get hold of an old sky analogue dish and I wonder if it would receive FTA digital channels if fitted with a motor and new LNB?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
If it's in reasonable condition (not bent or full of bullet holes) then yes there is no reason why an old Sly 60cm dish will not pick up a fair amount of Astra and Hotbird for you if it is set up correctly. An 80cm would be good for you up there but the 60 will give you something to play with to get a feel for it.

(Oh and welcome to the forum) :-welcome
L.:)

thedavid2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Lancelot said:
If it's in reasonable condition (not bent or full of bullet holes) then yes there is no reason why an old Sly 60cm dish will not pick up a fair amount of Astra and Hotbird for you if it is set up correctly. An 80cm would be good for you up there but the 60 will give you something to play with to get a feel for it.

(Oh and welcome to the forum)
L.:)

Thanks. It looks a bit rusty but I intend to paint on a camouflage design. It's not a round dish, it's more squarish looking and has small holes drilled all over. I guess this is to reduce wind resistance.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
thedavid2005 said:
It looks a bit rusty but I intend to paint on a camouflage design. It's not a round dish, it's more squarish looking and has small holes drilled all over.

Can you post a picture? - sounds interesting!

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
thedavid2005 said:
I'm just getting into satellite tv. I can get hold of an old sky analogue dish and I wonder if it would receive FTA digital channels if fitted with a motor and new LNB?

yep this is fine, i live on the south coast of uk and use two lnbs (humax 0.3db) on an old 60cm dish to capt astra/hotbird. it maybe be possible to get channels from hispasat's stronger transponders, but i haven't tried.

-cts

thedavid2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
gameboy said:
Can you post a picture? - sounds interesting!

Yes, I'll post a picture as soon as I get the dish.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
thedavid2005 said:
Yes, I'll post a picture as soon as I get the dish.

didn't read your location was soctland until now. i beleive analoguesat is up your wy and would be able to give you a good insight into what you might get with a 60cm dish...

cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
60cm should be ok for 19E and at least the stronger tp's on 13E. You may lose some channels during bad weather, but thats a nice size dish to start playing with with the "summer" approaching.

thedavid2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
closetosoton said:
didn't read your location was soctland until now. i beleive analoguesat is up your wy and would be able to give you a good insight into what you might get with a 60cm dish...

cts

I was actually looking to get digital channels (not analogue) with the dish, although I do have an old Grundig receiver. I was thinking about a Technomate or something with a smartcard interface as I have a Dynamite Programmer.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Despite my user name Im now more or less disgital, (but with a softspot for heritage analogue satellite), and my comments were indeed referring to digital transmissions from my location in the Scottish Borders.

This web site will tell you what I can find with a selection of battered old 80cm dishes which will give you at least an idea what you will get

www.digitalsat.co.uk

PS forgot to say
:-welcome

thedavid2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Analoguesat said:
Despite my user name Im now more or less disgital, (but with a softspot for heritage analogue satellite), and my comments were indeed referring to digital transmissions from my location in the Scottish Borders.

This web site will tell you what I can find with a selection of battered old 80cm dishes which will give you at least an idea what you will get

www.digitalsat.co.uk

PS forgot to say
:-welcome

Thanks, but that website doesn't make any sense to me. There doesn't seem to be any starting point or structure to the website.